Sending workers home regularly

km3

Can't they demand money out of my paycheck in a grievance?

Not that I'm aware of. Grievances would be 1000x more effective if that were the case.

Supposedly managers can lose part of their bonuses though, but that's hearsay so take it for what it's worth.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You're green, this job isn't easy. It's about the almighty number. One thing you'll learn is taking the easy way with staffing is often not always the most efficient. There are plenty of times it may ridiculous, but when you're overly comfortable with your staffing you're not making your numbers. It sucks, but that's the reality here

As for the grievance thing, there may be a time or two where I've subtly suggested that someone should file. It never made it that far. But usually a talk between the steward and business manager fixed a few things.

Indecisi0n

You're green, this job isn't easy. It's about the almighty number. One thing you'll learn is taking the easy way with staffing is often not always the most efficient. There are plenty of times it may ridiculous, but when you're overly comfortable with your staffing you're not making your numbers. It sucks, but that's the reality here

As for the grievance thing, there may be a time or two where I've subtly suggested that someone should file. It never made it that far. But usually a talk between the steward and business manager fixed a few things.
Sups have to wait until the last driver punches out so the jokes on them.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm a relatively new PT sup. One thing that my FT sup does that bothers me is that, most every day, he sends a handful of hourly employees home once the 22.3 employees arrive. He claims that it's because we "don't have work for them".

However, my work area often needs help when the volume gets heavy and the tilt tray (I work in Smalls, if any of you are familiar with those) shuts off.

I once told him I don't like that we send so many people home because it leaves my people overworked and stretched too thin, and he went ballistic on me. Pretty much every hourly I've talked to about it agrees with me, and say my FT I'd trying to maximize our numbers with as few people as possible (apparently, his bonus depends on it.)

Lastly, the ones who always go home are the kind of people who give unions a bad name* (I have seen adults throw tantrums when I asked them to do a simple task).

Does anyone else see this, and do you agree/disagree with it?

*disclaimer: I know many union employees are good, honest, hard-working people.
@TearsInRain told him you only need X number of employees.

km3

But really, if you do solicit grievances, your job may not be as safe as the supervisor I talked about before.

Maybe the best thing for you to do is what you've been doing. If your employees don't care that you're working, that you're sending people home, that they're not getting their hours, then maybe you just have to deal with it for what it is.

PT Supervisor is considered to be, by most of the people on here, not all, to be one of the worst jobs, if not the worst job, at UPS.

Poop Head

Judge me.
We also know how to do your job better than you; we read a piece of paper once.
wdoh9.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
@TearsInRain told him you only need X number of employees.
In his defense, you get a PPH number and staff it any way you want, as long as you hit it.

If you have 10,000 pieces and need to run a 100, you have 100 preload hours. They usually don't care if you choose to do it with 30 guys or 25 guys, as long as you meet or exceed that 100.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You mean "then you can be IE's scapegoat."
You won't hear from IE about that. Just your supervisor or center manager. IE in my experience, generally has a focus more on the on road numbers. I would speak with my IE guy more in a week of dispatch than I ever did period on preload.

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat
Ohhhhh. Yeah, I didn't get that lmao
I never did what my people do when I was an hourly. The only experience I have at their job is that I did it for about 2 weeks total during peak, when the list was exhausted.

Simultaneously, they tell us in Hub School to "be an expert".

That's why I liked Training on outbound better. Then I can exercise my petty authority over new hires.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In his defense, you get a PPH number and staff it any way you want, as long as you hit it.

If you have 10,000 pieces and need to run a 100, you have 100 preload hours. They usually don't care if you choose to do it with 30 guys or 25 guys, as long as you meet or exceed that 100.
TLDR

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I never did what my people do when I was an hourly. The only experience I have at their job is that I did it for about 2 weeks total during peak, when the list was exhausted.

That's why I liked Training on outbound better. Then I can exercise my petty authority over new hires.
Read the preload methods. It will help you better understand it all.

km3

I'd love to know more about these numbers supervisors supposedly have to meet. In my building, I don't think there's a single area--hub or preload/boxline--that can meet their numbers. Maybe once in a blue moon, but I could name areas that won't hit their numbers once a year too.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'd love to know more about these numbers supervisors supposedly have to meet. In my building, I don't think there's a single area--hub or preload/boxline--that can meet their numbers. Maybe once in a blue moon, but I could name areas that won't hit their numbers once a year too.
Very unlikely they miss their numbers as much as you think.

Mike P

I'm a relatively new PT sup. One thing that my FT sup does that bothers me is that, most every day, he sends a handful of hourly employees home once the 22.3 employees arrive. He claims that it's because we "don't have work for them".

However, my work area often needs help when the volume gets heavy and the tilt tray (I work in Smalls, if any of you are familiar with those) shuts off.

I once told him I don't like that we send so many people home because it leaves my people overworked and stretched too thin, and he went ballistic on me. Pretty much every hourly I've talked to about it agrees with me, and say my FT I'd trying to maximize our numbers with as few people as possible (apparently, his bonus depends on it.)

Lastly, the ones who always go home are the kind of people who give unions a bad name* (I have seen adults throw tantrums when I asked them to do a simple task).

Does anyone else see this, and do you agree/disagree with it?

*disclaimer: I know many union employees are good, honest, hard-working people.

u r right they all do that I'm a loader on twilight shift every night they send half of our loaders home before we finish which leaves a few vets some of the strongest loaders to wrap up all the loose ends. They also cut as much staffing as possible to get as much done with less I load a trailer that covers the NE states which is a fairly heavy load it breaks off into 2 trucks when the volume is heavy I'm left to load that station mostly alone I tend to only get help when my belt backs up into the secondary. Guess I can't complain more hours for me plus since I'm relied on to handle the Worma truck alone I'm never sent home due to. overstaffing

km3

For all the jabs I take at IE, I did meet a good guy from that department once. I loaded a trailer with him, in fact, and he flat out agreed with me that it should be a requirement that PT supervisors have 6 months of experience doing whatever job they would be supervising.