Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right not to work​.

Back to the OP, in our center when the company knows they are going to have extra drivers, and especially when they are trying to train new hires, they will put out a sign up sheet for anyone that would like to have that particular day off. You must come in or call in the next morning and they start at the top of the list by seniority and allow off until they get the drivers on the street that they need to train. Have not had a problem with that yet.

I will say that seniority does not mean you can force someone to work and you get to go home! If the company puts you on a route as a cover driver because you know the route and lower seniority cover drivers are laid off for the day, your gonna have to work!! No matter how much you bitch about seniority!!
In my local it does. Sounds like some of the other locals got the sheet end of the stick.

I will say that seniority does not mean you can force someone to work and you get to go home! If the company puts you on a route as a cover driver because you know the route and lower seniority cover drivers are laid off for the day, your gonna have to work!! No matter how much you bitch about seniority!!

"Hi junior cover driver. This is called a map. Enjoy the route."

Ms.PacMan

Have you ever heard or seen posted on the BC the statement "Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right not to work​."?

I saw it recently posted in a discussion thread and I thought it necessary to open a discussion about it because I think it is an often misunderstood and often misapplied statement."

It's not misapplied or misunderstood. For example I cannot use my seniority to take lay-off on Monday and then expect to work Saturday air before a junior driver. Likewise I cannot call in sick on a weekday (we do not have sick days) and then demand my 40hr guarantee by bumping a PT air driver on Saturday.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It's not misapplied or misunderstood. For example I cannot use my seniority to take lay-off on Monday and then expect to work Saturday air before a junior driver. Likewise I cannot call in sick on a weekday (we do not have sick days) and then demand my 40hr guarantee by bumping a PT air driver on Saturday.
Ms. PacMan,

I am not sure how you are relating this example to the OP.

Sincerely ,
I

Ms.PacMan

It's related to the actual contract language not your original post which is trying to redefine the language. Seniority does not give you the right to work AND not to work as you proposed in the OP and the examples were to show you why.

It's related to the actual contract language not your original post which is trying to redefine the language. Seniority does not give you the right to work AND not to work as you proposed in the OP and the examples were to show you why.

It does give you that right by seniority. Your examples are ways you would exempt yourself from that right. Big difference.

Nimnim

The Nim
At least here in my area there's a bid sheet occasionally that comes up for Sat air driving. I suppose they do have some m-friend drivers or even cover drivers helping out, but I'm sure the majority are people who signed up for it either for the experience or the extra time.
The problem I see with calling extra people for a 6th report is we have so many people complaining about going over 9.5 all the time that on a 6th report they may not have enough time left so a signup sheet is the optimal way to work it out.

Though looking at the OP and thinking about it, a person bids into a 5 day position, there's really no requirement for any employee PT of FT to run Saturday air unless they bid into a position voluntarily that covers Saturday as well.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Seniority got me the day off today. My route wasn't in and I could have worked but didn't feel like running some other bs with a crappy load and crappy dispatch. Seniority has its perks when applied correctly.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here extra drivers (or whatever) are handled by asking who wants off from top to bottom. If management really wanted to they could just layoff from the bottom up but our supplement gives full time drivers the right to bump inside. That can create manning issues in the hubs/ centers. Longer layoffs require a weeks notice. That plus stricter DOT laws make it a pain in the ass to just layoff off drivers.

Here extra drivers (or whatever) are handled by asking who wants off from top to bottom. If management really wanted to they could just layoff from the bottom up but our supplement gives full time drivers the right to bump inside. That can create manning issues in the hubs/ centers. Longer layoffs require a weeks notice. That plus stricter DOT laws make it a pain in the ass to just layoff off drivers.

​When we got laid off drivers inside the building their driver pay the result was no more layoffs amazingly.