Seniority Violation Grievance

over9five

Staff member
"Jim" and I both started at 16:00. We're both shifting now at 03:30 (10 1/2 hours). It's slowed down so they can let one of us leave. Who should go home?

HERE, the senior man will be given the option to go home. Seniority rules in all instances.

anonymous4

Again, I would argue seniority DOES give you the right NOT TO WORK. I am in NE just like you, and I have seen grievances won on the topic of VLOs so you are wrong.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
All language in my supplement says seniority gives you the right to work. No where does it says it gives you the right to not to work.

In the Central Region, the week between Christmas and New Years.... And the week of the 4th of July, are the only weeks specified

that anytime off is strictly by seniority. Any other time, has always be quite a contentious issue.

The company tries to spread the wealth.... and give everyone a shot.... but, it lends itself to abuse.

Over the years, higher seniority people have tried to push the envelope.

The company's response has always been, to threaten to lay-off the bottom.... And everyone else works.... everyday.

Hasn't happened.... {kind of an idle threat} because they need the additional bodies "in case".

The issue is a double edge sword. One thought comes to mind.... "Be careful of what you wish for".

-Bug-

menotyou

bella amicizia
Only one time did I take advantage of the offer when I was pt. I drive 30 minutes one way to work, and they normally found some air for me to deliver. When I went FT, the on-car will call you at home. I love that.

anonymous4

Another scenario management can exploit is offering the VLO to people who are known to file against soups working. Get rid of 2 or 3 in an area and you can have your supervisors work without repercussion. This is done whenever possible.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Again show me in the contract where it says that other than for vacation seniority gives you the right NOT to work. All language in my supplement says seniority gives you the right to work. No where does it says it gives you the right to not to work.

One day and more lay offs go in seniority order bottom to top.
Under the Atlantic Area Supplement voluntary time off must be offered in seniority order.

tardus

Article 48 Section 2 mentions that "Voluntary time off will be offered in seniority order." This is an important Section to remember if you happen to get laid off (or sent home) when senior guys wanted the time off.