Seniority....

Anvilandforge

Taking a job as a package handler (3rd time) at a hub that just opened recently. More feeder drivers than package car drivers, but anyways...

If I were hired today, our probation is 70 working days...I asked HR about a free period and they said they didn't know what that was...

I've heard it's generally between OCT 15th to JAN 15th..Regardless, is it possible to make book for me, being hired in July? Or is your time towards seniority put on hold after OCT 15th?

Anvilandforge

[/QUOTE]
Usually, the free period is also Memorial Day to Labor Day.

If HR doesn't know what free period is, then they should be fired.
So say I get hired in April. I would not make book by Memorial Day. Do the days I work stop counting towards my seniority until next January?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
So say

So say I get hired in April. I would not make book by Memorial Day. Do the days I work days stop counting towards my seniority until next January?
If you are qualifying in April and May they are not going to just stop the clock.

Why is this one subject so impossible for people to comprehend?

Anvilandforge

If you are qualifying in April and May they are not going to just stop the clock.

Why is this one subject so impossible for people to comprehend?
I would probably be able to wrap my head around the concept much better if my HR rep knew what it even was when I asked. Is this free period company wide or does it vary by location?

upschuck

I would probably be able to wrap my head around the concept much better if my HR rep knew what it even was when I asked. Is this free period company wide or does it vary by location?
It is in the supplement, in the Central Region, it say
The Employer shall have the right to hire vacation replacements. VacationreplacementshiredinMay,June,JulyandAugustshallnot gain seniority unless they are worked after Labor Day. Employees worked after Labor Day shall have their time worked prior to Labor Day count toward acquisition of seniority as provided for elsewhere in this Agreement. However, their seniority dates shall be the first (1st) day worked after Labor Day. If the Employer recalls these employeesitmustcontinuetocomplywiththepart-timesix-for-one ratio as provided for elsewhere in this Agreement. Part-time employees may work as full-time vacation replacements under the terms of this provision and still retain their seniority as part-time employees. The Employer shall notify the Union of any employees hired as vacation replacements and have the employee sign a vacation replacement form.

Varies by supplement.

Anvilandforge

It is in the supplement, in the Central Region, it say

Varies by supplement.
They're desperate for people at this hub. I have a day shift, anywhere between 10AM and 5PM. They can't keep people in the hot trailers for even a week before they quit apparently. I'd guess if I were hired today, they wouldn't lay me off after Labor Day right before volume really starts to pick up. Of course I could be wrong. I didn't sign any seasonal or vacation replacement forms of any sort.

upschuck

So, get hired between January and May or don't gain any seniority? 8 months out of the year they're just hiring seasonals?
Also between labor day and oct 15th is perm hire time. The time during those free periods count if hired before, just can't pass probation during those times.

Anvilandforge

Also between labor day and oct 15th is perm hire time. The time during those free periods count if hired before, just can't pass probation during those times.
Ok. But technically I can if I work after Labor Day? I'm assuming I'll at least be working from now until at least January. Solid 5 months of work.

Anvilandforge

Did you ask anyone at the union how this all works?
Don't know anyone yet. That's the kicker, I'm commuting to a larger center about 40 minutes away. Different local.

I was hired today as permanent part time, but from what I've gathered, none of the days from here to January (minus small window from Labor Day to Oct 1st or 15th) will be counted towards my seniority.

Doesn't make sense to me. Probation is 70 days, but only 4 months out of the year? what the WHUT?