Serious injury at Hartford, CT hub

'Lord Brown's bidding'

A PT sup is the doormat of the company. They might fire him for not following methods. We all know how kind-hearted UPS is.

Aren't there laws in place to prevent things like that from happening? Also, with OSHA investigating would that be prudent? Looks a lot like trying to sweep a matter under the rug, when a flashlight is being shone upon you while you are doing so.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've had the conveyor belt try to suck my hand underneath the plastic guards on three occasions since I started splitting a belt at UPS. It's a scary moment, man, I always've been lucky and able to pull my hand back with minor injuries (bruising, bleeding under the skin from the "pinch force") but I've always felt like if I wore gloves at work the damn thing would've easily sucked my hand in and chewed it the friend* up.

I don't pray, but I do hope a speedy recovery for the worker in the OP. Regardless of whether he was at fault or not, it's most definitely a ****ty hand to be dealt.

You know the big grey things that move packages from one area to the next? Those are conveyor belts. I'm not sure if every center works off of them but I assume that every center/hub uses them to some degree within their operation.

[edit: [video=youtube;b-sfR651CU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-sfR651CU0[/video]]

Me, though? I don't know wtf a boxline or cages are. I hear the terms all the time here, it's just that I've never personally dealt with them or they're referred to differently in my center/region.

Oh, I see. But I still dont know how someone could possible get their hand stuck in that thing. Cages are the big shopping cart looking thingy that you most of the times put packages into.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have a friend in that location. It happened on Wednesday night on the night shift. The employee dropped a scanner down below a belt. He then picked up the steel plate (transom cover they might have called it) where two belts meet and reached down inside trying to get the scanner.

He didn't want to shut the belt down...I wish he had just shut it down for the 20 seconds it would have taken.
TooTechie,

The area where two conveyor meets usually has plastic transfer plate that is secured to a piece of steel angle iron of various dimensions based upon the size of the conveyor.

Sincerely,
I

bluehdmc

I hope he doesn't lose his arm.

I've seen lots of people walk on moving conveyors, I try to tell them not to. I ask them what would happen if your shoelaces got caught where the belts "stitched" together. I guess maybe this guy got his sleeve or something caught by the belt.

anonymous4

This happened Wed night, we had a PCM about it the following day and Friday I counted 3 soups walking on moving belts. One being an area coordinator, breaking a jam. Safety first guys! Remember your DOK, watch your P's and Q's.

Ouch

I hope for the best for this young man. He probably has a full time boss that really comes down hard on him for cutting the belt off. I have tried and tried to figure out what makes the part time sup so loyal to the company that treats them like crap. Definitely a different breed I guess. Best of luck to him.

J

jibbs

Oh, I see. But I still dont know how someone could possible get their hand stuck in that thing. Cages are the big shopping cart looking thingy that you most of the times put packages into.

It's improbable with all the guards in place but can happen. From what I've read here on this thread it sounds like a small package/envelope fell beneath the guard, the sup uncovered the guard with the belt still running and got his hand/arm pulled in whilst attempting a package retrieval.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Poor guy. I wish him a speedy recovery and the proper use of all his limbs.

Walking on belts or just walking around without your head on a swivel is a problem. Too bad people don't take the time they need (without playing games on the actual time it takes to do something) to prevent these things from happening.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Tragic for the employee. While accidents can always happen I hope no one was cutting corners.

I hate to say it, but someone was cutting corners, and I sincerely hope he totally recovers.

I spent a year as preload/porter, and I, too, had a really great FT supervisor. In fact, him leaving to run his own business prompted me to bid back out on the street. His bad habit was opening the guards on the Extendos (running) to pull envelopes and bags out. I was lock-out certified, and I chewed him a new one every time he pulled that trick.

​No matter how long it takes to lock-out a piece of equipment for any reason, this is a prime example of why it should be done.