Set schedule for p/t package handler?

f_nice

Hello. My local facility has an opening for part time package handler. I am considering applying but had one important question/concern.

The shift is sunrise (3AM-9AM). I am okay with the job and duties. I can come in at the designated start time; however, I cannot work past 7:30AM (I need to be at my primary job by 8AM)...... Since part timers only work 17 hours per week, can I make arrangements to leave no later than 7:30AM each day, which is before what the job posting has as the designated shift end..... OR will I have to be open during the designated time frame (3AM-9AM).

Thank you in advance for your time !

Regards,

Felix

HubBub

I hear the company is coming up with a new "work from home" option to be more accommodating to individuals like yourself. You get to set your own hours and everything. You don't get paid though. You should look into it.

UPSGUY72

Hello. My local facility has an opening for part time package handler. I am considering applying but had one important question/concern.

The shift is sunrise (3AM-9AM). I am okay with the job and duties. I can come in at the designated start time; however, I cannot work past 7:30AM (I need to be at my primary job by 8AM)...... Since part timers only work 17 hours per week, can I make arrangements to leave no later than 7:30AM each day, which is before what the job posting has as the designated shift end..... OR will I have to be open during the designated time frame (3AM-9AM).

Thank you in advance for your time !

Regards,

Felix

They say 3am-9am but they really mean when ever you get there and when ever you want to leave..... So go ahead and apply you will fit right in.

f_nice

thank you all for clarifying. No mention of this being seasonal. I'll keep my eyes open for other shifts and/or seasonal openings.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Coffee and donuts for the supervisor team every day, you can come and go as you please. You can even walk right into a permanent full-time driving job. Ala BBAG.

Box Ox

Not a chance it'd work if you've gotta be out by 7:30 every day. The earliest I'd commit to starting with another employer (cleaned up) is 10 am. There are probably plenty of people in line for the job who would be fine with staying the whole time. You'd be out of contention the moment you told the HR person (after your tour) you couldn't be there for the whole shift.

cynic

Ask to be put in unload, they get done first. In our hub no PT'er works more than 5 hours a day as UPS would have to pay overtime.

cynic

There's no way you'd be guaranteed to leave by 730 every morning....even in the unload.

bleedinbrown58 thank you for adding that clarification. If you're starting at 330am then it is likely you'll be leaving 4 hours later (which would put you at least to 730am). As peak approaches, the start times have typically gotten earlier and the hours longer - in our hub's case you won't work more than 5 hours.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
bleedinbrown58 thank you for adding that clarification. If you're starting at 330am then it is likely you'll be leaving 4 hours later (which would put you at least to 730am). As peak approaches, the start times have typically gotten earlier and the hours longer - in our hub's case you won't work more than 5 hours.
No prob....OP can't walk into the interview with time demands...bottom line.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not a chance it'd work if you've gotta be out by 7:30 every day. The earliest I'd commit to starting with another employer (cleaned up) is 10 am. There are probably plenty of people in line for the job who would be fine with staying the whole time. You'd be out of contention the moment you told the HR person (after your tour) you couldn't be there for the whole shift.
This is incorrect

When I was FT preload/air driver a couple years ago, they hired a female preloader who had to be school at 8am, so they let her leave every day at 7:30. Her mother was a former driver so clearly there is preferential treatment available to some.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This is incorrect

When I was FT preload/air driver a couple years ago, they hired a female preloader who had to be school at 8am, so they let her leave every day at 7:30. Her mother was a former driver so clearly there is preferential treatment available to some.
That's true...there are exceptions. A guy in my center gets to leave @8 everyday for his other job but he's been there 10 years. Anything is possible but I doubt they'd hire him with time restrictions.....JMO

browntroll

that 7:30 am aint gonna happen unless you have a really cool sup, i know a few sups that do allow pters to leave
as early as 7:00 am. some the pters always have a huge problem when that sup goes on vacation and pt sup that covers
doesnt allow anyone to leave early, so you get pt sup and a pter arguing for 10 minutes about how one has to go to
his/her other job while the other said they must work until needed.