Shady UPS

Nah
I was wondering if you knew something shady UPS did, what would you do with it?

Our overgoods, label correction area is constantly piled up and looks terrible because the lady there cannot keep it up. UPS learned that a higher up manager was making a visit so they loaded all the overgoods in a trailer to hide it and make themselves look better.

A MONTH later they decided to start working on it. I found things that were a month late that simply needed some tape on them. It disgusts me as someone who works on that stuff and takes some pride in getting their people their :censored2:.

I think if I reported this a few managers would get fired but I'd also put a target on my back. What do you guys think? 26 year veteran and I just get sick of the tactics this company resorts to.
Something shady like you described...nothing. It's their circus, not mine.

Something shady that screwed over a co-worker or myself? Raise all kinds of hell.

I appreciate the hard knocks lesson today. I'm trying to do the right thing but this place doesn't believe in that. I just need to lay low and let them destroy this place

Nah
I appreciate the hard knocks lesson today. I'm trying to do the right thing but this place doesn't believe in that. I just need to lay low and let them destroy this place
It's not that the situation you described doesn't frustrate us too. But I just don't see what you can do.

I mean...I dunno. Have you called the ethics hotline?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Every company has their fare share of dirty tactics. Nowhere is perfect. Just do your time and get out.

It's not that the situation you described doesn't frustrate us too. But I just don't see what you can do.

I mean...I dunno. Have you called the ethics hotline?
That's why I came here to get some opinions because I wanted to call the hotline and stir a hornets nest but I know they could possibly figure out who it was based on the limited people who capable of doing overgoods and such...

Pullman Brown

Our overgoods, label correction area is constantly piled up and looks terrible because the lady there cannot keep it up. UPS learned that a higher up manager was making a visit so they loaded all the overgoods in a trailer to hide it and make themselves look better.

A MONTH later they decided to start working on it. I found things that were a month late that simply needed some tape on them. It disgusts me as someone who works on that stuff and takes some pride in getting their people their :censored2:.

I think if I reported this a few managers would get fired but I'd also put a target on my back. What do you guys think? 26 year veteran and I just get sick of the tactics this company resorts to.

If it bothers you that much call the hotline- you can be anonymous. Some of that stuff where the packages lose labels gets sent to Louisville to be auctioned off anyways.

Its_a_me

Apparently you don't understand how overgoods work. Overgoods are items that are abandoned by the seller and receiver. In order to be abandoned--it must first age out. They are then RE-SOLD by UPS OVERGOODS DEPT---not re-united with the proper people like you think. Does UPS need a more modern system to keep track of what is where before they get to overgoods dept (or even when there)---absolutely. But there is a reason why they don't get immediately sent back and the area cleared--they'd be re-sold before the true owner might know they're missing.

A box needs tape in your opinion--did you read the invoice and see the shipment was actually incomplete--or did you just look at the cardboard and make your determination? Is it going international for the return--who paid for the duties and tarriffs to complete the return? Did you see it was a returned to a company that had moved or went out-of-business? Did the receiver go on summer holiday? Is it waiting for a damage inspection and the only one authorized is on vacation? Did some customer give a driver the box back as a return 9 months later and the driver took it back meanwhile the tracking number was re-used?

No, you just saw a box that needed tape and figured that was the issue and other people's laziness: guess what you could be right or very wrong. Assumptions are the mother of all ......k ups.

For example, driver one picks up a box but the bottom tape seam doesn't hold. 50 small items spill all over his truck. Does driver one have time to pick up the 50 items. Nope, they just grab a handful out of their walk-path. Driver tells part-time sup when they get back to the building. Sup is too busy working elsewhere to make numbers--so the truck gets unloaded. A helpful driver like yourself see the box needs tape and pulls it from the belt and re-tapes and sends it on its way. Later car wash collects lose items and gets them to the corrections clerk--no one knows where they belong. The items without the box are placed in the overgoods hold area. Should the corrections clerk take pride and immediately send the overgoods items to the UPS Kansas City processing area--to maintain the clean little area you want? NOPE. The items are typically kept 2-4 weeks so that the seller and receiver can contact the center to find out if they have the missing items. BECAUSE ONCE THEY HIT THE KANSAS CITY OVERGOODS--they are sold and not re-united to the proper owner like you think. UPS doesn't have some large warehouse building hiding the Ark of the Covenant in it.

So my advice is stay in your lane regarding the assumption of pride. Or better yet focus on what you can control. You want to talk ethics...start with drivers future-ing misloads (which track as customer requested delivery at a future time) or simply throwing them on the belt when they get back to the building without the pal label vs doing the right thing and delivering it. And that is before even broaching the emergency conditions usage.

As far as management cleaning up the building because someone is visiting the center: that is the easiest way to spot an external auditor in our building. Oh look the floors have been cleaned and the trucks washed---must have an audit today. Oh look there is a full time supervisor in the building past 4pm--must have visitors that he wants to impress. Oh look the part-time sups are supervising and not working--who is here?

Apparently you don't understand how overgoods work. Overgoods are items that are abandoned by the seller and receiver. In order to be abandoned--it must first age out. They are then RE-SOLD by UPS OVERGOODS DEPT---not re-united with the proper people like you think. Does UPS need a more modern system to keep track of what is where before they get to overgoods dept (or even when there)---absolutely. But there is a reason why they don't get immediately sent back and the area cleared--they'd be re-sold before the true owner might know they're missing.

A box needs tape in your opinion--did you read the invoice and see the shipment was actually incomplete--or did you just look at the cardboard and make your determination? Is it going international for the return--who paid for the duties and tarriffs to complete the return? Did you see it was a returned to a company that had moved or went out-of-business? Did the receiver go on summer holiday? Is it waiting for a damage inspection and the only one authorized is on vacation? Did some customer give a driver the box back as a return 9 months later and the driver took it back meanwhile the tracking number was re-used?

No, you just saw a box that needed tape and figured that was the issue and other people's laziness: guess what you could be right or very wrong. Assumptions are the mother of all ......k ups.

For example, driver one picks up a box but the bottom tape seam doesn't hold. 50 small items spill all over his truck. Does driver one have time to pick up the 50 items. Nope, they just grab a handful out of their walk-path. Driver tells part-time sup when they get back to the building. Sup is too busy working elsewhere to make numbers--so the truck gets unloaded. A helpful driver like yourself see the box needs tape and pulls it from the belt and re-tapes and sends it on its way. Later car wash collects lose items and gets them to the corrections clerk--no one knows where they belong. The items without the box are placed in the overgoods hold area. Should the corrections clerk take pride and immediately send the overgoods items to the UPS Kansas City processing area--to maintain the clean little area you want? NOPE. The items are typically kept 2-4 weeks so that the seller and receiver can contact the center to find out if they have the missing items. BECAUSE ONCE THEY HIT THE KANSAS CITY OVERGOODS--they are sold and not re-united to the proper owner like you think. UPS doesn't have some large warehouse building hiding the Ark of the Covenant in it.

So my advice is stay in your lane regarding the assumption of pride. Or better yet focus on what you can control. You want to talk ethics...start with drivers future-ing misloads (which track as customer requested delivery at a future time) or simply throwing them on the belt when they get back to the building without the pal label vs doing the right thing and delivering it. And that is before even broaching the emergency conditions usage.

As far as management cleaning up the building because someone is visiting the center: that is the easiest way to spot an external auditor in our building. Oh look the floors have been cleaned and the trucks washed---must have an audit today. Oh look there is a full time supervisor in the building past 4pm--must have visitors that he wants to impress. Oh look the part-time sups are supervising and not working--who is here?
I do understand overgoods but when half the packages coming out of the truck I can get a viable tracking # and send it on its way, that's when I get annoyed.

You are still not understanding the process. Viable tracking number is only 1/2 the battle.
What am i missing? Should i not be upset about it? I was trained on this stuff by other employees and if we retire there is not 1 manager that knows how to do any overgood/clerical/hazmat auditing stuff

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

This I didn't know. So that's why they like broken boxes

2Down2Many2Go

It must not be the same everywhere, in my building Overgoods is mostly open/damaged packages. And they just rebox/pack every package and put a new label to the original recipient.

Its_a_me

What am i missing? Should i not be upset about it? I was trained on this stuff by other employees and if we retire there is not 1 manager that knows how to do any overgood/clerical/hazmat auditing stuff

#1 Managers should not be doing bargained work. That is union work.

#2 If you retire the world will keep on spinning and UPS will not cease to operate.

You are upset there is a pile of stuff that hasn't been sent out to overgoods to make an area look pretty. Again overgoods does not go to the people who bought that stuff. It is re-sold by UPS---often for pennies on the dollar. Having it sit in the building for up to 4 weeks is probably the best way to get it to the people that bought or sent it.

Again there are a multitude of reasons why the stuff could be there---each box could have it's own reason. You could be right or very, very wrong on your idea it's laziness. You should absolutely not be upset by this. UPS is a billion upon billion dollar profitable company. Often times even when not at fault they pay a claim for something that turns up later. Should UPS then pay OT or even more time than the minimum guaranteed 3.5 hours a day to process stuff that will be sold for pennies on the dollar or simply leave it for when the clerk truly has nothing to do----THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE COMPLETELY MISSING.

It also could be management won't pay enough of a wage to get workers that will accept to do those job functions. Having it pile up in multiple centers may mean they would have to address this. Clearing the area would mean artifically solving that problem for them.

There are so, so many reasons---handle the OCD and stay in your lane. You'll have a much better career if you are worried about your own messes than solving someone else's issue. If it bothers you that much there is an 1-800 number. Just know you'll spend more time describing the problem to the 3rd party company than UPS will do in fixing the problem.

There are so, so many reasons---handle the OCD and stay in your lane. You'll have a much better career if you are worried about your own messes than solving someone else's issue. If it bothers you that much there is an 1-800 number. Just know you'll spend more time describing the problem to the 3rd party company than UPS will do in fixing the problem.
You say OCD but I say work ethic. But I understand what you are saying

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
After having read and pondered on everyone's opinion on this subject I have the best advice EVER for you. For the day or two that your work area is neat, swept and clutter free, ENJOY IT, take a picture of it, post it on the bulletin board with a caption "Remember When"??

Nah

What's with the novel. Holy :censored2:. Blocked.