Shipping w/UPS is not cheap

wrenny

Did any drivers have problems with Pick Ups where you have 50 packages, but one label photocopied by the customer 20 times that was interspersed. So they were trying to get away with paying for only 30? This happened way back when customers could first print off their own labels, or did you have to scan every package at the point of pick up?

LKLND3380

I had to ship a pkg to my brother and I tried to stay loyal to the company but for me to ship a 1 lb pkg from upstate NY to southern CT ground shipper release was nearly $12, with almost $5 in surcharges. I went to USPS.com and it was only $4.60 Priority Mail. This was not a time sensitive pkg so I went with Priority Mail, which is 2-3 days Post Office to Post Office. I have to admit I was shocked at how expensive we are!! I always knew that the PO was cheaper than us on pkgs less than 2 lbs but I didn't think it was that dramatic. As I said, I tried to stay loyal, but I was able to send the pkg there for what we charged just for the surcharges (rural and residential). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I agree but I also remember... We are Union... Post office is Union... Not the same union but I didn't support non union FedEx...

LKLND3380

DX

But that would be dishonest. I expect those companies I deal with to deal with me honestly, as I would deal with them.

IF you are going to be dishonest, why not just put one pound on each package, that would save tons of money.

d

I have loaded a few eight pound packages that needed a team lift. Maybe the shipper forgot to hit "0" after that 8....:surprised:

LKLND3380

You think ground is expensive? You should have tried Early AM!

I have stuff shipped to me all the time, just cheaper to buy stuff online even with shipping included. The most I have payed for shipping is $30.00 for a 24 pound package from Tennessee.

Truth be told I'm more worried about the handling of a package than the price of the shipping.

Unloaders pull down a wall in a feeder and you never know what will land on top of your package... Load stands are for changing light bulbs - right?

LKLND3380

LKLND3380

How can you BE a UPS employee and then complain about UPS prices??? That is how UPS pays us a very good wage!
And then to go to the competition to save a few bucks, sheesh!

I use UPS all the time. Just the "save time" feature to me is more important than saving a few bucks. In other words, no trip to the Post Office, just print a label and bring the box to work with me. AND of course, I'm supporting my company and my employment.

I can understand if you're a UPS employee who also has a side business. Then (perhaps) it becomes a business decision to use the PO. But an employee who ships 10 times a year should support his job by using UPS.

MHO

If UPS can give high volume companies 40% discounts off customer counter rates they can offer employee discounts of 25% or more...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Anyone ever price the airlines for shipping?

If you read my post, that is how i usually get fish in. Via the airlines.

Just about any airline is better than delta. Once the package hits atlanta, its like it disapears. It will show on the next plane out, but after 6 more flights, it might be on one of those.

But they usually get it there in less than 24 hours. 3 boxes, 120 pounds or so, usually about $95 bucks.

Now if it is routed through cinci, I will have it in less than 8 hours on the same day from Houston. For the same price.

So Atlanta is the problem in the spoke of delivery. Part of that problem is where the boxes are taken after they get off the plane, all the way to the other side of the airport, then they have to bring it back to get on the next plane. And from personal experience, most of the ones there musta worked for the post office at one time or another. REally motivated.:biting:

Down side, as a shipper, you have to be a "known shipper" to be able to ship. Most companies are not. So as a practical matter, the common carrier airlines are not a logical choice for most.

d