shop steward and UPS issue

derrick

i filed a grievance two days ago. today I get a phone call from another shop steward saying I should dismiss the grievance in good faith because UPS has helped me out in the past. and I should just let it go because they are going to harass me. My first question is why is another shop steward calling me about it that has nothing to do with it and who I didn't even file through? I thought it was illegal for UPS to discuss things about a grievance to people that it has nothing to do with?

derrick

ok. I filed a grievance on not getting paid properly for delivering grounds. I filed on it and asked for backpay because I wasn't paid for months like this. I went to another shop steward to file it and she filed two days ago. today my shop steward calls me asking to in good faith take the grievance back because they can harass me and follow me over and try to write me up little little things. but why is he calling me about something that wasn't filed thru him and was filed thru someone else and to me it looks like my manager told him about it and asked if he could call me about it.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
ok. I filed a grievance on not getting paid properly for delivering grounds. I filed on it and asked for backpay because I wasn't paid for months like this. I went to another shop steward to file it and she filed two days ago. today my shop steward calls me asking to in good faith take the grievance back because they can harass me and follow me over and try to write me up little little things. but why is he calling me about something that wasn't filed thru him and was filed thru someone else and to me it looks like my manager told him about it and asked if he could call me about it.
Something isnt adding up. It sounds like the stewards got together and talked about your grievance because something is a miss.

On the other hand. You should always file for money owed. It is up to you to stand up for your rights.

And if the company starts harassing you for exercising your rights. You now have grounds to file for retaliation.

Rutherford B Hays

gun accipere, et abire cannoli

You may not like what he said, but it is the truth. They will watch you lile a hawk, but you absolutely should file on what is owned to you

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
i filed a grievance two days ago. today I get a phone call from another shop steward saying I should dismiss the grievance in good faith because UPS has helped me out in the past. and I should just let it go because they are going to harass me. My first question is why is another shop steward calling me about it that has nothing to do with it and who I didn't even file through? I thought it was illegal for UPS to discuss things about a grievance to people that it has nothing to do with?
BE7AFBB0-74F7-4BC2-BB73-4DD3BCA891D7.gif

Just tell him this

Lmao

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I know this is hard to wrap your head around, but most stewards are looking out for the members best interests. Which will sometimes include telling members things they dont want to hear. Sometimes filing a grievance will put you into a fight you are not ready for and dont know how to handle. Stewards know their management team and how hard they are willing to push people when they file. I enjoy the fight. Most people dont.

Here's a pro tip. Managements traditional way of fighting is to load you up with too much work and hope you make a mistake. Most members will because they "just wanna get done and go home"

Members can be their own worst enemy.

542thruNthru

Tell your shop steward thank you but I come to work to be paid not to make friends.

You're owed money and unless the manager is going to pay you in a timely manner the money you're owed with out the grievance. Then you need to file.

BlackCat

I know this is hard to wrap your head around, but most stewards are looking out for the members best interests. Which will sometimes include telling members things they dont want to hear. Sometimes filing a grievance will put you into a fight you are not ready for and dont know how to handle. Stewards know their management team and how hard they are willing to push people when they file. I enjoy the fight. Most people dont.

Here's a pro tip. Managements traditional way of fighting is to load you up with too much work and hope you make a mistake. Most members will because they "just wanna get done and go home"

Members can be their own worst enemy.
You load me up, expect yet another grievance.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Go above your stewards head , get the number for his boss then ask for his boss. We will not tolerate this kind of behavior from a steward.

Siveriano

I remember my first time. Its always hard, too many feelings going around.
what if it will hurt me? what if i screw up later?
Once you get that ez money and as long as you are doing ur best, you should be ok. I tey to get the rookies to file but they just too scare of being follow.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Tell your shop steward thank you but I come to work to be paid not to make friends.

You're owed money and unless the manager is going to pay you in a timely manner the money you're owed with out the grievance. Then you need to file.

This ^, absolutely.

They can fix it without the grievance, tell the steward you will withdraw the grievance based on the company voluntarily fixing the issue. In my supplement, you are supposed to inform your steward and supervisor of the contractual breech, then they have a day to look into it and let you know whether they agree and will fix the problem, or whether you need to grieve it. Also according to article 17 of the master, they have two days to cut you a check for the full amount owed if it is over $20 (part time) or over $40 (full time). After two days they will start to owe penalty pay.

RolloTony Brown Town

Any steward has at least something to do with a grievance filed by a member in their center. I don’t believe there are any legalities preventing managers/on roads from discussing labor issues (grievances, etc.) amongst each other.

You decided you wanted to file. The stewards are giving you fair warning because if you get a big pay day out of this the manager is going to discipline you. He’ll find something.

I’m assuming this is in regards to your other thread about not getting top pay for delivering ground. You should have been getting top pay the whole time. That’s the contract. You’ll probably take home a pretty hefty check. You mentioned $20K. That’s a lot of money and it sounds like you waited a long time to get educated about your contractual rights. I doubt you’ll see that Much but the larger the penalty pay, the bigger the target is on your back.

In the future, maybe tell them after you move ground that you expect top rate. You can feel like that’s not “your job” but it helps to ensure that you will be paid and reduces the risk of you losing penalty pay because you were proactive. Food for thought. Good luck.