shop steward and UPS issue

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You should add that steward to your block list on your phone. They clearly don’t have anything useful to say.
It's really easy to sit back and say these types of things having never been a steward. I was this way before becoming one. But you learn to play smart. Not everyone who you represent has enough metal to fight back.

It could be that center has a weak local or b.a. it also could be company stewards. There is not enough info here.

Money owed is money owed. This should be filed on regardless of the member or scenario.

But I will say. It sometimes can be challenging to go toe to toe with management for a member who will just fold the second you walk away.

You have to be smart enough to know who you are dealing with and what they can handle. The last thing you want to do is jeopardize a members job.

Know your rights, be willing to fight and I will fight for you.

derrick

yeah it does have to do with the previous post. i'm not going to back down from it. i suspect that it runs much deeper then that and if corporate starts digging and see its probably more to it then that. the funny part is that he wanted me to completely drop it instead of even offering a settlement. i bet you if the manager or the steward was having half there check kept by UPS a week that would have a issue and file and take it to the fullest too. in fact i'm about to file another grievance because I go on vacation June 2nd to 15th and I haven't gotten my vacation check yet.

Superteeth2478

Everybody has a target on their back. You need to call out the steward.
Definitely not true that everyone has a target on their back. There are company suck-asses that don't get in trouble for anything. Then there are people who ream them with grievances day-in and day-out and they're issued discipline for going to the bathroom, not walking briskly, and threatened with discipline for drinking water (we'll see if that turns into real discipline within 10 working days of today...)

Faceplanted

Definitely not true that everyone has a target on their back. There are company suck-asses that don't get in trouble for anything. Then there are people who ream them with grievances day-in and day-out and they're issued discipline for going to the bathroom, not walking briskly, and threatened with discipline for drinking water (we'll see if that turns into real discipline within 10 working days of today...)
If you think that you won’t get fired for rolling a package because your an ass kisser you have something coming for you. As king as you follow the methods, who cares if you have a target?

If you think that you won’t get fired for rolling a package because your an ass kisser you have something coming for you. As king as you follow the methods, who cares if you have a target?
It is hard to be perfect everyday when you have a group of sups ready to pounce on you the second you make the smallest infraction.

RolloTony Brown Town

Had a company suck ass who worked in my center. Scratch daily, would do anything asked without argument and would ask for overtime.

Peak 2016 he was caught punching out (while continuing to deliver) and was never issued discipline for the falsification issues and DOT issues it could cause.

Fast forward to fall 2017 and he files 9.5 because he now doesn’t want the OT, he wants to see his new girlfriend and he and his wife are arguing on the phone for 20 minutes at a time... AND he wasn’t coding it. So he punched out early a couple times on his drive back to the center... because he wouldnt have been over 9.5 if not for arguing with his wife through out the day and claims he felt bad... Don’t ask me why he would do such a thing. He was an odd duck to say the least.

Manager did not hesitate to fire him for essentially the same thing a year later. The difference? He filed some grievances and it pissed the center manager off.

Moral of this story? Targets are a real thing and don’t falsify company records because it’s one of the quickest ways to be walked out.

Faceplanted

Had a company suck ass who worked in my center. Scratch daily, would do anything asked without argument and would ask for overtime.

Peak 2016 he was caught punching out (while continuing to deliver) and was never issued discipline for the falsification issues and DOT issues it could cause.

Fast forward to fall 2017 and he files 9.5 because he now doesn’t want the OT, he wants to see his new girlfriend and he and his wife are arguing on the phone for 20 minutes at a time... AND he wasn’t coding it. So he punched out early a couple times on his drive back to the center... because he wouldnt have been over 9.5 if not for arguing with his wife through out the day and claims he felt bad... Don’t ask me why he would do such a thing. He was an odd duck to say the least.

Manager did not hesitate to fire him for essentially the same thing a year later. The difference? He filed some grievances and it pissed the center manager off.

Moral of this story? Targets are a real thing and don’t falsify company records because it’s one of the quickest ways to be walked out.
Moral of the story part 2. Stop being a sloppy ass driver. Just do your job.

Staydryitsraining

The issue with the other steward. It is possible that the steward you filed with isnt the one that sends the grievance up. And turned it over to the guy who does and he inserted his 2 cents. If you follow the methods and are on time and dont miss work then file. If not and you plan on staying with ups dont file. If you like chaos, file. If you ever deliver ground and worry about being paid right go into verify and change code to 4c on the board.

Shiftless

It's really easy to sit back and say these types of things having never been a steward. I was this way before becoming one. But you learn to play smart. Not everyone who you represent has enough metal to fight back.

It could be that center has a weak local or b.a. it also could be company stewards. There is not enough info here.

Money owed is money owed. This should be filed on regardless of the member or scenario.

But I will say. It sometimes can be challenging to go toe to toe with management for a member who will just fold the second you walk away.

You have to be smart enough to know who you are dealing with and what they can handle. The last thing you want to do is jeopardize a members job.

Altho I am retired and was a steward, it never ceased to amaze me me how many would puff their chest outside the office only to fold and stumble their way back into trouble in the office! That and those who couldn't control their rage and were completely off the mark. Many needed to know when to be quiet for their own good.

Classic example: Manager meets with me and says " Hey I don't want to fire this driver, can you have a talk with him before he digs himself in deeper". I met with the driver, told him he is under their watch and it would be best if he quit doing what he was doing if true. I asked if he was doing what I was told. He told me to friend>>>>>OFF ! You stewards are worthless! This is the same guy who pushed everything to the limit and would fold in the office! Week later, 20 plus years in! Retirement in sight!

He was stealing time. Cardinal offense I told him, they will fire you soon if you don't knock it off RIGHT NOW! Got himself FIRED!

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! READ BELOW!

If you don't know what Weingarten Rights are? Read below! I gave drivers laminated cards to follow when most importantly you were dragged into a position you weren't ready for and or to heated to deal with management.

During an investigatory interview, the Supreme Court ruled that the following rules apply:

Rule 1: The employee must make a clear request for union representation before or during the interview. The employee cannot be punished for making this request.

Rule 2: After the employee makes the request, the employer must choose from among three options:

• grant the request and delay questioning until the union representative arrives and (prior to the interview continuing) the representative has a chance to consult privately with the employee;
  • deny the request and end the interview immediately; or
  • give the employee a clear choice between having the interview without representation, or ending the interview.
Rule 3: If the employer denies the request for union representation, and continues to ask questions, it commits an unfair labor practice and the employee has a right to refuse to answer. The employer may not discipline the employee for such a refusal.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You sound like a weak steward who would rather make deals and play buddy with management.

The op is owed a lot of money and the steward should be fighting for every penny of it.

Superteeth2478

AAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDD...it happened. The full-time supervisor had the discipline typed up for "insubordination" since I didn't immediately start loading when he told me to before finishing drinking my water. Luckily the steward I had in my corner embarrassed both full-time supervisors who were trying to issue me discipline (my new arch-enemy, my full-time supervisor, was trying to get me for "unprofessional conduct" because I bite back when they give me crap, but I never curse or make threats or say anything stupid). They still have a chance to get their ducks in a row and issue me the discipline after gathering their supporting evidence. Let's see if they do.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You sound like a weak steward who would rather make deals and play buddy with management.

The op is owed a lot of money and the steward should be fighting for every penny of it.
Try reading more of my posts. I will go hard against management for any member who's ready and willing to fight. I love it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
AAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDD...it happened. The full-time supervisor had the discipline typed up for "insubordination" since I didn't immediately start loading when he told me to before finishing drinking my water. Luckily the steward I had in my corner embarrassed both full-time supervisors who were trying to issue me discipline (my new arch-enemy, my full-time supervisor, was trying to get me for "unprofessional conduct" because I bite back when they give me crap, but I never curse or make threats or say anything stupid). They still have a chance to get their ducks in a row and issue me the discipline after gathering their supporting evidence. Let's see if they do.
Contact OSHA

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

i filed a grievance two days ago. today I get a phone call from another shop steward saying I should dismiss the grievance in good faith because UPS has helped me out in the past. and I should just let it go because they are going to harass me. My first question is why is another shop steward calling me about it that has nothing to do with it and who I didn't even file through? I thought it was illegal for UPS to discuss things about a grievance to people that it has nothing to do with?
Maybe the stewards know you are doing something wrong on the road that would get you fired