shop steward working for ups

Johnny123456789

Talk to him outside of work and let him know how you really feel.

At our hub, most shop stewards take the position of make their job easier. They don't give a :censored2: about the other members or their problems.

ManInBrown

The first shop steward i ever had in package was the best one ive seen. No matter what he had your back. I never did anything stupid but if something small went wrong he was always there to work it out. Dont worry ill take care of it.

Inthegame

The first shop steward i ever had in package was the best one ive seen. No matter what he had your back. I never did anything stupid but if something small went wrong he was always there to work it out. Dont worry ill take care of it.
Same here. First day in pkgs, my guy introduced himself, gave me his phone number and a local union mtg schedule. I credit him with my future extensive involvement with my local.
I've had great stewards, good stewards and a few mediocre stewards, but at least they tried.
Sure is easy to throw the rocks and break the windows, and then complain someone else didn't fix them fast enough...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Same here. First day in pkgs, my guy introduced himself, gave me his phone number and a local union mtg schedule. I credit him with my future extensive involvement with my local.
I've had great stewards, good stewards and a few mediocre stewards, but at least they tried.
Sure is easy to throw the rocks and break the windows, and then complain someone else didn't fix them fast enough...

I've had some great mentors, going all the way back to my PT days.

Nothing happens overnight at UPS.

ski or die

Ski or Die
At our hub, most shop stewards take the position of make their job easier.[/QUOTE
Shortly after I was elected steward, my manager called me into the office and explained that if worked with them, they would make my job much easier, if not, they would make it very difficult for me. Kept my nose clean so they couldn't fire me, but they did make it very difficult at times. I felt after quite awhile, they started to show some respect and would try to make an effort to work with me to resolve a grievance.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
The case was not officially reopened. The BA met with Labor Manager. It was an open and shut case involving seniority. The BA was and company were very tight. Many questionable grievances denied. With the BA having pressure from our Local President and facing possible charges, an agreement was reached. He knew if it was denied he could face charges. Also, the seniority issued would have affected every Teamster. The company would have been able to assign overtime to anyone without seniority being a factor in the decision. The company and union had everyone who had a grievance that day wait in a hotel room until their grievance was called. All were heard except mine, then they went to lunch and mine was heard afterwards. Lost a days pay. The Local President from that point on required my BA to hear my grievance first. The BA eventually was forced to resign over 2 separate issues. The BA and I did not see eye to eye. I was our first elected steward. The BA had appointed all previous ones. I was elected because fellow employees knew I would not sell them out.

Is it possible that false information was available at the hearing and when other info was received the 2 sides met to correct an injustice?

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
have a shop steward thats pretty much working for UPS and not the union members. he is also telling the part time managers and drivers how to do there job. I was told my a supervisor that the shop steward if he sees someone messing up at work he can fire then himself. I'm asking how can we get a shop steward removed from power? do we go to the union hall and get him removed or what?
what do you did wrong!

35years

Gravy route
Some stewards and BAs are on a power trip just like center managers.
I had a steward who would constantly bad-mouth other drivers. He just enjoyed feeling superior.
I had a conflict with another hourly employee... Yelling only, and no profane language. This steward took it upon himself to tell management. The center manager took the other employee's side and issued me a warning letter. I confronted the steward to his face and asked him what kind of steward rats on another driver.

I grieved it, with the other hourly taking my side, saying my actions did not warrant a warning letter.

Thank goodness he is no longer a steward. Unfortunately our present steward is completely non-confrontational with management. He is passive during hearings. And coincidentally he get off every day in less than 8.5 hours. But I will not criticize him to others in our area. Others tried to draft me into taking the steward position, not interested. I will help anyone who asks, but I would rather not be privy to all the stuff others mess up.

Last edited:

Returntosender

Some stewards and BAs are on a power trip just like center managers.
I had a steward who would constantly bad-mouth other drivers. He just enjoyed feeling superior.
I had a conflict with another hourly employee... Yelling only, and no profane language. This steward took it upon himself to tell management. The center manager took the other employee's side and issued me a warning letter. I confronted the steward to his face and asked him what kind of steward rats on another driver.

I grieved it, with the other hourly taking my side, saying my actions did not warrant a warning letter.

Thank goodness he is no longer a steward. Unfortunately our present steward is completely non-confrontational with management. He is passive during hearings. And coincidentally he get off every day in less than 8.5 hours. But I will not criticize him to others in our area. Others tried to draft me into taking the steward position, not interested. I will help anyone who asks, but I would rather not be privy to all the stuff others mess up.
That happen to me years ago yelling made the other person feel threatened cause I yelled turn off the belt the package is crushed

Being privy to the other people’s screw up can take a toll on you mentally specially co worker does the same stupid decision everyday it’s get irritating hearing sup say use the load stand use 3 pt going up and down if it’s the same guy doing the same stupid stuff.

Just magnify that by 10x the screwed up employees in just your operation

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
a stew can not fire anyone. just like everyone else there a good stews and bad ones in every hub.

ask around to find a good steward and speak to them about this.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
a stew can not fire anyone. just like everyone else there a good stews and bad ones in every hub.

ask around to find a good steward and speak to them about this.

380C598F-C837-4E89-B788-719F5B902369.jpeg

Brownt10

have a shop steward thats pretty much working for UPS and not the union members. he is also telling the part time managers and drivers how to do there job. I was told my a supervisor that the shop steward if he sees someone messing up at work he can fire then himself. I'm asking how can we get a shop steward removed from power? do we go to the union hall and get him removed or what?
The union is soft as :censored2:. The amount of things going untouched is pathetic