Not allowed to pick shop steward

derrick

Manager at my center told me that I'm not allowed to pick what shop steward represents and they pick the shop steward and not me. I'm sure this is a violation of the contract and my rights. I remember hearing that we can pick our shop steward to represent us. because I know a few that are working for the company and not the union.

GenericUsername

Also don't forget that your steward should know about the warning letter/write up prior to you going into a meeting about disciplinary action. You have time to converse with him prior to going into the meeting so he's up to par with what your issue is going to be.

ManInBrown

Also don't forget that your steward should know about the warning letter/write up prior to you going into a meeting about disciplinary action. You have time to converse with him prior to going into the meeting so he's up to par with what your issue is going to be.
In package yes, I never once went into the office without Stewie telling me beforehand what it was about. I’ve been in the office once for discipline in feeders and Stewie had no clue what it was about. I was surprised.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In package yes, I never once went into the office without Stewie telling me beforehand what it was about. I’ve been in the office once for discipline in feeders and Stewie had no clue what it was about. I was surprised.
I was a steward for many years and it always went one of two ways.

They would tell me what the meeting was about before we went in the office so I could brief the member.

....or I would insist on them laying out the whole issue or complaint as soon as we sat down and before the member said a word, then step out for a caucus.

As a result, more often than not and in the interest of time, they briefed me prior to the meeting.

ManInBrown

They would tell me what the meeting was about before we went in the office so I could brief the member.

....or I would insist on them laying out the whole issue or complaint as soon as we sat down and before the member said a word, then step out for a caucus.

As a result, more often than not and in the interest of time, they briefed me prior to the meeting.
Agree, and I was shocked that the feeder steward had no clue. I asked him and when he told me he had no idea I looked at him and said what. How do you have no idea.

GenericUsername

Any time they pull me into the office for a warning letter (whatever the flavor of the month is) and they don't give notice, I file a complaint as well as a harassment grievance.

Pullman Brown

1B27D526-4611-4AE8-A6FB-FA5925F797A1.jpeg

raceanoncr

Unless the local has a bunch of company yes men who pick the stewards management wants.
OK, let's just clarify this, then. NOT HERE. We (I) held their feet to the fire. There was NOBODY that was picked to favor the company. And, when I got to be steward, I saw to it that ALL, including hourlies, mileage, sleeper AND manaement, followed the contract.
Before my run (feeders), I would go into the office and ask if I should know anything that could be troubling. When my run was done, I'd do the same thing. Why? To keep on top of ALL.

Returntosender

Sounds difficult would hate to that job from I see seems like it’s the same people Getting called in every so many weeks

raceanoncr

Sounds difficult would hate to that job from I see seems like it’s the same people Getting called in every so many weeks
Well, I hate to admit it but you're right. I could predict which member was gonna be called on next. I even joked with management about having a standing date/meeting with "so and so".

rod

Retired 22 years
OK, let's just clarify this, then. NOT HERE. We (I) held their feet to the fire. There was NOBODY that was picked to favor the company. And, when I got to be steward, I saw to it that ALL, including hourlies, mileage, sleeper AND manaement, followed the contract.
Before my run (feeders), I would go into the office and ask if I should know anything that could be troubling. When my run was done, I'd do the same thing. Why? To keep on top of ALL.
Sounds like one of those old feeder tricks to make sure you got your 59.99 hours a week in. :rofl: