Should I be allowing UPS Secuity Guards to open all my belongings?

22.34life

So how would that work for the idiots that come in a half hour early to go through their loads off the clock? UPS is certainly not going to give up that free labor.
good point,i didnt think about that.what about people who just get to work early or hang around after work **********.

Last edited by a moderator:

some1else

It doesn matter say it is 2 minutes to get released from duty (through the guardshack patdown).

Punch out at 19:00 get 2 minutes added. It doesnt matter if you are outside at 1902 or 2102 it still takes the same amount of time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I heard that UPS is going to start enhanced pat-downs similar to the TSA.

I hope you are wrong, the guard at my Hub will have a field day with me. Every morning she makes obscene comments toward me and she really has a good time looking at my legs when I wear shorts. Just "don't touch my junk". It was bad enough the last time I flew a couple of years ago. Go through metal detector, take off shoes, belt, and turn on my notebook. I'm glad I don't fly much.

upssup

This kind of attitute is a perfect example of why there is this wall between hourly and mgt.
Why because I am not offended by the security searches. I carry a 10 lb backpack every day that contains a laptop, two cell phones, a camera and alot of other stuff needed as I office out of my car with 15 extended centers. If they go through my bag, fine, if they do not no big deal. So I would say no big deal, again I say if you are offended that they do this you might want to go get a job somewhere where they do not do it. Why is this a Mgmt vs. Hourlies issue?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why because I am not offended by the security searches. I carry a 10 lb backpack every day that contains a laptop, two cell phones, a camera and alot of other stuff needed as I office out of my car with 15 extended centers. If they go through my bag, fine, if they do not no big deal. So I would say no big deal, again I say if you are offended that they do this you might want to go get a job somewhere where they do not do it. Why is this a Mgmt vs. Hourlies issue?

It isn't an hourly vs. Managenent problem...I don't see anything unreasable with having guards search peoples bag...my comment was geared more toward yoir attitude. How many times do you have to tell people to go find another job..might be a record within one thread. There is a thread in the partners section about mgmt and how they are getting the shaft and I didn't see one time where anyone said,"if you don't like it ....leave".

some1else

I havent seen a single person complain about a reasonable search so i dont know why that keeps coming up. We are complaining about being detained, delayed, and searched AND not being compensated as contractually required.

upssup

I havent seen a single person complain about a reasonable search so i dont know why that keeps coming up. We are complaining about being detained, delayed, and searched AND not being compensated as contractually required.
Contractually required compensation? For being asked about your ipod or your cell phone. WOW! I guess I am wrong for saying if you do not like it leave. I guess I should be asking where do I sign? What a load.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Gee, at our center, no guards, we walk though vehicle doors, It is nothing to stop and unload a pkg car or feeder from our shopping trip during lunch. Our vehicles are less then 150 feet from the building, and if you wish, you can hang around and chew the fat.

UPSrookie

Related to this post: Am I legally obligated to remove my boots if the guard shack security asks me too? Do I have to comply? Could I get fired or have any other repercussion for not removing my boots?

UPSrookie

Lol. I've only been told to do this once. It was the day before new years and they had everyone remove their cards from their wallet and also sit down and remove their boots. I would like to tell the security, "I have no problem with removing my shoes, but you know what, if your so interested in looking at my feet, YOU take off my boots, I've been halling ass all day and I'm tired". I wonder what theyre response would be.

castor915

I will throw out a couple of things I have seen that will let you be thankful they check you.
I seen a guy try to sneak a knife out in belt area, 10 cell phones taped to guys upper thighs, 3 psp's stuck in the hood part of hoodie with jacket over hood part, fossil watches and jewelery stuck in over sized shoes.
I do get irritated on the phones Im a article 22 and cant bring in my phone.... but yet a part time sup can. So I keep one in my locker that stays at work along with my mp3 for my first half then I have a shifter radio I made (like the feeder drivers have) that i use on my second half along with my work shoes and rain gear.

I do get hassled by safety walking in with my k-swiss, when I have work shoes in my locker as well. Even tho I did win a grievance for steel toed tennis shoes (mine are white hy-test).
http://www.michiganshoe.com/browse.cfm/4,201.html by safety standards they are exactly as stated. slip resistant, all leather upper, oil resistant.

Last edited: