Should I file a grievance?

Superteeth2478

Well, I guess every union member who is a driver in my hub is brain dead then because I’m the last to clock in a few minutes before start time while most everyone else is clocked in up to one half hour or more before start time helping the preload. That’s no joke and I get ridiculed for showing up so late. Seriously my diad is the last one clocked in. God forbid I clock in a minute late, they are ready to fire me after a few times. Am I going to grieve over a few minutes? No. Not worth it. I’ll let everyone know tomorrow they are fired for falsifying time and not committing to Article 17 to the letter. I’ll let the supervisor know too. How much do you think they will laugh?
No one in your hub has the balls to enforce Article 17, so that won't happen. And if you're not on the clock you shouldn't be working, whether it is 5 minutes or 30 minutes.

brownman2075

No one in your hub has the balls to enforce Article 17, so that won't happen. And if you're not on the clock you shouldn't be working, whether it is 5 minutes or 30 minutes.

Things have gotten so bad with load quality and the preloaders simply don’t care because they want to go home. Supervisors do nothing to enforce load quality, so our trucks look like they were loaded via tornado. I spend over a half hour on the clock fixing the load on road after doing a straight air run because the preload cannot even get us out of the building on time and our start time is now one half hour later than it was 4 years ago. That means tack on an addition 15 min before I can actually leave the building. The local is well aware of the problems, but nothing gets fixed. Things here have gotten really bad over the last 4 years. The few minutes of work I do before start time is enough to get my hand truck in unobstructed.

brownman2075

Things have gotten so bad with load quality and the preloaders simply don’t care because they want to go home. Supervisors do nothing to enforce load quality, so our trucks look like they were loaded via tornado. I spend over a half hour on the clock fixing the load on road after doing a straight air run because the preload cannot even get us out of the building on time and our start time is now one half hour later than it was 4 years ago. That means tack on an addition 15 min before I can actually leave the building. The local is well aware of the problems, but nothing gets fixed. Things here have gotten really bad over the last 4 years. The few minutes of work I do before start time is enough to get my hand truck in unobstructed.

Then center manager screams about over/under.

Superteeth2478

I agree. My point is to show the vicious circle that has been created.
That's the case in just about every decent-sized hub in the US right now. Working off the clock sure as hell isn't fixing it in any of the other centers, and it won't fix it in yours, either. Get on the 9.5 list and don't worry about the rest.

brownman2075

That's the case in just about every decent-sized hub in the US right now. Working off the clock sure as hell isn't fixing it in any of the other centers, and it won't fix it in yours, either. Get on the 9.5 list and don't worry about the rest.

We are all on the 9.5 list now under the new contract. Now we are asked to opt off the list to get more over time. The Shop Stewart says to me that I might get my hours cut short if I don’t opt off and if enough drivers opt off. I just laugh. I say well, if my hours become a problem then I’ll cross that bridge.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
There's a few routes I cover that won't have a bathroom for 6-7 hours, maybe you'll find a a construction potty and stop there for a while. Other than that it's gatorade bottle time. Triple DR Bag and straight into the backpack. No big deal

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There's a few routes I cover that won't have a bathroom for 6-7 hours, maybe you'll find a a construction potty and stop there for a while. Other than that it's gatorade bottle time. Triple DR Bag and straight into the backpack. No big deal

Drive to the nearest bathroom with at least warm running water. Nothing they can do to you.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

When you show up, ask to change your start time so you can work legally and contractually. If preloaders don't want the time, you might as well take it. If you can't start getting paid early, take the time after pcm to finish loading/fixing your load. If this will cause you to have late air, tell your supervisor before you leave.

If you are told to stop doing that, then at least locate all your air and put it where you can get to it quickly. Once your air is done, and maybe you get a bulk stop off, pull over somewhere and fix the first few shelves. Then again, sometime after your full lunch break, fix the rest and be sure to page in any misloads.

This will probably help your over/under, but that's management's problem anyway. If they threaten discipline for numbers, remind them of article 37, and if they continue with the threats or other forms of harassment, then you file a grievance. You don't file a grievance because your center manager asked you if a piss bottle was yours, and then accepted your answer.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I guess the majority of the hub should be fired then. Show me in the contract where it says touching packages off the clock is grounds for termination. Sounds to me like you are nothing more than an antagonist. It’s amazing how these antagonist come on here and other chat forums and talk big behind a computer screen, but in real life they don’t have the balls they claim they have in this virtual reality. Management lives in virtual reality. Maybe you should join them. If you talked to me like that in my face (in reality), you would lose more than just the balls you probably really never had behind that computer screen.
Working off the clock is against State and Federal Law.
You should also be arrested.
You should be Terminated.
You aren't covered by work comp when working off the clock.

UPSER1987

The levels of testosterone in this thread is hilarious! All these tough guys that probably get beat down then hand their check over to the wife. So funny. I see it everyday- the guys that think their are bad asses were the ones bullied in high school but have the union to protect them

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Show me in the contract where it says touching packages off the clock is grounds for termination.

As @Superteeth2478 correctly pointed out, Article 17.

"All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18-nationalmaster-final.pdf

If the company doesn't monitor it, the Stewards and the Local will.

We had a PT preloader grieve that drivers were coming in early and helping load package cars off the clock which meant she was sent home early and she won. No drivers are allowed in their package cars until after the PCM except to place their personal items.

Yep.

One grievance, is all it takes....

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The levels of testosterone in this thread is hilarious! All these tough guys that probably get beat down then hand their check over to the wife. So funny. I see it everyday- the guys that think their are bad asses were the ones bullied in high school but have the union to protect them

As a low-level management person;

Why are you clamoring for respect.... from a company that won't do it ?

brownman2075

As @Superteeth2478 correctly pointed out, Article 17.

"All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18-nationalmaster-final.pdf

If the company doesn't monitor it, the Stewards and the Local will.

Yep.

One grievance, is all it takes....

The sad part is in my hub the union and management are well aware of it and a preloader last year grieved it and do you know what happened next ....... a little bit of talk from the shop steward, a slap on the wrist to somebody and then nothing.

BiggieBrown

We had a PT preloader grieve that drivers were coming in early and helping load package cars off the clock which meant she was sent home early and she won. No drivers are allowed in their package cars until after the PCM except to place their personal items.

A lot of the drivers feel like they are entitled to PT work for whatever reason.
They always give some bull :censored2: excuse about how we're all so bad that they are just simply forced to steal our work.
It's already hard enough to make money inside the building as it is, and then next thing you know Mr. $36-An-Hour or whatever is waltzing down the belt leaving a trail of piss bottles in his wake to come steal 10 minutes off me because the truck isn't 100% perfect.
It's funny how they'll show up to be the clean-up crew heroes after all the hard work is done but if we're short-handed and they're asked to come in for the whole shift you won't hear a peep.

Last edited: