Should I Invite Management??

tieguy

Banned
Blackbox, your time after work belongs to you and I don't feel mgmt. has the right to infringe on it. Who would want a situation in someone's home to turn awkward when you all have to work together?

Chances are, your boss is not your best friend anyway and juggling a work and a personal friendship with someone can have it's issues, let alone if that person is your supervisor.

IMO, they've tamed us humans into God fearing, disciplined employees and there's more than enough obedience training at work not to have to worry about it on your time off. Don't let them see that spark of free will that glows when you clock out!!!

I agree with the point that if you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't. One point that seems to pop a lot is the military angle. Many of us who went through the military learned to seperate work from play with our uppers ,seem more comfortable with the concept here at UPS.

Grunt you in the midwest? Have to meet you half way sometime .. First couple rounds on me. I probably owe Red a round to for that lucky game he had against me in fantasy...:whiteflag::sad-very::blushing2:

upsgrunt

I agree with the point that if you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't. One point that seems to pop a lot is the military angle. Many of us who went through the military learned to seperate work from play with our uppers ,seem more comfortable with the concept here at UPS.

Grunt you in the midwest? Have to meet you half way sometime .. First couple rounds on me. I probably owe Red a round to for that lucky game he had against me in fantasy...:whiteflag::sad-very::blushing2:

Tie-sounds great! I figure Tooner's place is about 1/2 way so we should make sure she is there too. In fact, has anyone ever thought about a Browncafe convention sometime? What would it take to pull something like this off?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All are welcome, I am halfway (from somewhere) . AS long as you all BYOB, Ill even cook.
I have a great deck, other than that you are on the floor, if ya'all spend the night. I have 723 sq foot of spacious living, but the more the merrier!!!!!!!!!!!

Sammie

All right then--It's all 1000 members to Tooner's house this Saturday!:wink2:

Since it's gonna be at Tooners house, leave anything short, tight or revealing in the closet at home. Also, you all better educate yourselves on which one the fish fork is, how to properly eat an artichoke, no I Pod buds at the table, and if you end up playing golf or tennis with Tie, you gotta let him win....:laughing2:

rod

Retired 22 years

I think I've figured out the military angle. In a combat situation everybody covers everyone elses butt . Just the opposite at UPS. It's survival of the fittest and anytime a mistake happens you point fingers at anyone besides yourself. :gun_banda

athena

Besides, are we, as hourlys, invited to mngmt functions?

Thats a good point! I've never heard of any Hourlies getting invited to a strickly mgmt function. If someone was they'd probably keep on the down low to avoid persecution from other drivers.

The posts seems almost 50-50, Guess we'll just keep things the way they are no need for spoil a good thing. Besides we also have a couple of FEDEX Express drivers who join us once in a while..we love ganging up on them.....they're good guys and good sports.
[/quote]

Maybe you could have a "test run". Try hanging out with them like Tie said at a common event in public. See how it goes. I am guessing you would be able to determine if the house parties would work based on this interaction.

I think it would be worth it if it got the management and employees to open up with communication both at work and outside of work.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Sure if you do don't talk shop and don't drink to much, it does not mix well. We all need to get along with peak right around the corner and get the job done. Other than that it could be alot of fun to get togeather for a casual good time without all the stress of work. We use to have bar-b-q's at the beach and everyone would bring there boats for water skiing. Just hard to do when everyone starts having kids and busy lives at home now.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have some drivers and supervisors that go deer hunting together. Guns and beer out in the middle of nowhere. They get along great, it just depends on the personalities involved. They can leave work behind while out having a good time.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Why would you want to hang around with those no lifes? Leave them at the building, even if they are salary and working a saturday. Pfft.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
It can be a tricky situation. If you're not comfortable with it then don't do it. I wouldn't invite them to the house but would invite them to a common event in public. I have people I play golf with and also a general forum at a bar on friday nights where I'll pick up a round or two( two is the limit for safety reasons) for anyone that wants to show up. We have events we go to such as someones retirement bash, charitable fund raisers and such but we are always wary of the favoritism issues. If you think you're going to get hammered for being a suck up by your peers then I would leave it alone. If you can get past that and keep work where it belongs then its usually a good team builder.

The things that happen that a sup should not know about can be an issue. Thats usually where I say Ooops time to go.

Which is why you should have joined the National Guard. I was :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:faced with the base commander one night. Good times.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WEll More I guess 2 balls per person?????
I think it would be a great idea, I think it was danny or maybe trucker, who thought of it, but it didnt go over, No one has time, but it would be fun.

govols019

You smell that?
I do stuff with my on-car sup all the time. He's an all around great guy and one of my better friends. I don't expect any special treatment at work because of our friendship.

My center manager, on the other hand, I wouldn't be caught in the same building with outside of work. He is annoying.