Should I Invite Management??

Brownnblue

We have some drivers and supervisors that go deer hunting together. Guns and beer out in the middle of nowhere. They get along great, it just depends on the personalities involved. They can leave work behind while out having a good time.

I agree with Scratch. I think each case is different, and you have to look at the personalities involved and decide from there.

Come football and basketball season some of the drivers here take turns having a get-together at each others house. Lately management got word of our plans and hinted they would like to attend (if asked). I don't like getting too close to sups or management after hours, but if its not at my house would any of you invite them??
It seems half and half. I am going on 16 yrs with this company. I must be a isolated case but every supervisor or center manager I have had I wouldnt have any issue including them. I would think it would be just as risky for them to do this as hourlys.
I dont understand the us against them atitude. To be honest, I have witnessed mgrs be treated way worse then the hourlys were ever treated which is the main reason why I have never pursued it.
I would say yes to invite them.

leastbest

LeastBest
When my sister was dying in 1998 I went to my center manager and told him we just put her in hospice care. I asked him for a light day one day a week at his discretion so I could get there before they closed the doors at 8pm. He told me, "No can do. We have a business to run and you have to learn you can't bring your personal life to work with you."

I would never allow a person like this in my house.

rod

Retired 22 years
When my sister was dying in 1998 I went to my center manager and told him we just put her in hospice care. I asked him for a light day one day a week at his discretion so I could get there before they closed the doors at 8pm. He told me, "No can do. We have a business to run and you have to learn you can't bring your personal life to work with you."

It's hard for people outside of UPS to imagine someone as heartless as your center manager. I'm sure there are a few on here that think you are making this up but unfortunately anyone that has had any experience dealing with UPS knows that you are not. It always has been a heartless company. If it's any consolation management treats their own the same way. I once had a center manager whose father died a week before Christmas and the idiot that took his place actually had the nerve to tell everyone at the AM meeting that this center manager's father " had a lot of nerve dying during peak".

leastbest

LeastBest
What was terrible was the next year during peak my brother died. I took funeral leave and they didn't give me a hard time but two deaths in two years was too much.

DS

Fenderbender
Leastbest...are they still beating on you?
Hows the guitar playin' goin?
Or is it banjo now?
Are you still leastbest?
I enjoyed the old time tunes.
I forget where you posted them.

govols019

You smell that?

We had a guy go through the same thing when his mother was dieing of cancer. Not only did they not help him out they seemed to go out of their way to make it worse on him. He ended up having to call the 1-800 number to get them off his back.

leastbest

LeastBest
Leastbest...are they still beating on you?
Hows the guitar playin' goin?
Or is it banjo now?
Are you still leastbest?
I enjoyed the old time tunes.
I forget where you posted them.

I still play guitar (old blues) but now play a lot of old time clawhammer banjo.

I've been off work for four months due to a back injury but I'm going back soon. Hope to retire in a year or two.

My website is: www.leastbest.com

randy

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What was terrible was the next year during peak my brother died. I took funeral leave and they didn't give me a hard time but two deaths in two years was too much.
I feel for you, I had 4 in 4, mom, sis, dad, bro, and this July almost lost my husband, just age 50 to a heart attack. To the regs, not trying to bore ya, just want to make myself clear to anyone new here.
I got diddly as far as empathy, in the first four deaths, even had to file a grievance, my first in 23 yrs to get my funeral pay. But I have to try to put that behind me, different mgmt, etc. This time, my team has been great, and dont give me crap when I need to take off, even when God forbid it is during peak. I think the cyclical thing has gone full circle at my center, from demons to somewhat reasonable people who also have families and feelings. Yes they have a business to run, but they have been good to me as far as giving me the time off when I need it. I protected myself by filing for FMLA, so they could really probably get in trouble for trying to deny me time off, but I think it just is the mentality and the maturity of the team I have now. Now I realize this could all change in a heartbeat...........................but for the most part, they know I would rather sling boxes 12 hours a day, than go through what I have been dealing with. At least at work you know what to expect. At the drs office I never know what they are going to say. 2 heart attacks, and no clue when the 1st one happened, or which cause to blame it on.

I think this is why I have developed the new tooner attitude. I like everyone, I dont let crap stress me which happened before, here and now is what controls my feelings and my BP, dont sweat the small stuff. It doesnt take any strength to hold a grudge, but its stressful.
UPS is a job, the people there mgmt and hourly are just people. If someone is an a** I let them know that I know they are, and I move on, it affects me not one iota. I do what I should to the best I can, if it isnt good enough, fire me. If you want someone rugged, can make it to work in all weather, can lift 150, or figure out how or lure help, mesmerize the customers, im your girl. If ya want to fire me coz I care about my family, fire away. But If I like ya, and I want to invite you over for Nascar, or a cook out, its coz I like ya, and the reasons I disliked the ones b4 u never even needs to be discussed. Its about having people over you like, if you dont like them dont invite them, mgmt or not. JMH tooner O

happy harry

Everyone needs to take a step back and look at the big picture. We are all men(ladies i say men for convenience and clarity only.All rules apply to male and female equally.lol) that go to work together,do a job together and have to make adult decisions together. Outside of work is outside of work. If you can't distinguish the 2. Then you don't go out together.That's that.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
Everyone needs to take a step back and look at the big picture. We are all men(ladies i say men for convenience and clarity only.All rules apply to male and female equally.lol) that go to work together,do a job together and have to make adult decisions together. Outside of work is outside of work. If you can't distinguish the 2. Then you don't go out together.That's that.

Not to be too much of an a$k, and many know, not only do I care deeply about my UPS comrades, but I've established a very sincere appreciation for social justice (and I have the negative rep points to prove it). Having said all that, I still need to ask why some folks continue to use exclusive terms like "we are all men" and then go completely out of the way to explain why you think an exclusive term would be more appropriate than say "humans" or "individuals" or "people". Consistently referring to the workforce as only made up of 'men', where women continue to stand along the sidelines, only adds to a system of male privilege and exclusion; and it doesn't feel so good.

More importantly, after reading the last several posts, I feel such a great sense of respect for the people that share on these boards and an appreciation for your authenticity. I will be much more grateful for the people I still have in my life thanks to your sharing.

Last edited:
Keep it on a professional level. Even in small centers, supervisors should know better to even hint they want to go. Could cause real problems later on. Seen it here before and sups can and have been disciplined for it.

Come football and basketball season some of the drivers here take turns having a get-together at each others house. Lately management got word of our plans and hinted they would like to attend (if asked). I don't like getting too close to sups or management after hours, but if its not at my house would any of you invite them??

raceanoncr

Just one last post by me on this subject. An example we had in this state, although not in this hub or center.

A driver was good "bud" to most supes and mngrs at his building. Was getting favors, so much so that he thought it was in his interest to quit the union. He thought he could make out better on his own without any protection, after all, these manager people were now his friends, right?

He had serious accident. Lost his job. Being in a right to work state, the union had to defend him, because now the UNION is his best friend. Well, he lost. Is now without a job.

"How could this happen?", he asked. "They (supes and mngers) were my friends". "I jumped through all the hoops, dotted all the i's, etc."

Well, he probably had em all over his house for a "good time" also. Remember, the corporate world is cut-throat. People will turn in their own mother for another step up. I've seen it here. As a driver, they're your best friend. Once they go down to Goodwill and pick up the suit and the clerk tosses a halo in the bag, they are in their own little sphere.

Do what you feel best, just watch out what you do or say.

HazMatMan

Sure, invite your sup, and light up a joint while watching the game. One of two things will happen, he will ask for a hit, or you will be going for a piss test on Monday morning.

Sammie

Sure, invite your sup, and light up a joint while watching the game. One of two things will happen, he will ask for a hit, or you will be going for a piss test on Monday morning.

You beat me to it, HazMat. I was going to recommend cannabis food of some sort. Warm, tingly, laughy brownies, anyone? Might make a friend for life...:D

over9five

Staff member
'...and light up a joint..."

What came to my mind was what if your friends lit up a joint at this party?

YOU would forever be guilty by association. Do not invite management to your party. They do not need to know anything about your personal life.

They should not want to go. If your management team has ANY professionalism, they will politely say, "No thanks" if you were to invite them.

browniehound

Tooner,
I think that is a totally weak-assed move by your management team to give you crap for missing time due to the deaths of such close family members.

It goes to show that our sups, and center managers care about 1 thing: that we show up to work everyday during peak. So what is really going on this guy's head? "OH crap Tooner's mom died on Dec. 20th. I really don't care about her feelings, what I'm really concerned about is the coverage for her route through Christmas"

All I know is, I could never be so heartless. If I was the center manager and you told me that news, my first thought would be how you are feeling. Then I would personally cover your route for 5 days if I had nobody else and I would be happy to do so . I would NOT, ever, freak out about it and ask you for proof of her passing(I know this has happened to us in the past).

I hope your new center team is better than the last,

Brownie