Should i or shouldn't i?

sikidiki

Long story short, a guy quit and his route is up for bid, I am full time but only work as needed, its rare if i work more than 2 days a week at this point since im like 31 on seniority, and its clear no one wants his route.

Everyone i have talked to says it sucks or they are afraid of it, Its basically 80-130 stops in some mountains with lots of bad roads and chaining up in the winter.

So my question is, should i just man up and take it for the hours? I'm not here to work, I'm here to make money, there will be long days and days ill get stuck im sure, but i want hours and money, so i will probably see if they will give me the route tomorrow, its been put up for bid 3 times and no one has taken it yet, so my chances may be good. What do you guys think?

542thruNthru

Long story short, a guy quit and his route is up for bid, I am full time but only work as needed, its rare if i work more than 2 days a week at this point since im like 31 on seniority, and its clear no one wants his route.

Everyone i have talked to says it sucks or they are afraid of it, Its basically 80-130 stops in some mountains with lots of bad roads and chaining up in the winter.

So my question is, should i just man up and take it for the hours? I'm not here to work, I'm here to make money, there will be long days and days ill get stuck im sure, but i want hours and money, so i will probably see if they will give me the route tomorrow, its been put up for bid 3 times and no one has taken it yet, so my chances may be good. What do you guys think?

Take the route.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
Crazy how different our centers are. Everybody here would love to work 2 days a week, we constantly have to borrow guys from different centers and hubs.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Who's been doing the route? Even if you win the bid, every cut driver with more seniority would have to pass on it for you to work. If that hasn't been happening now, you shouldn't expect anything to change, except that everyday you do work, it will be that route. Of course that is unless seniority works differently in your building.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Take it

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
No matter how terrible a route is at least it’s your terrible route..9.5 it and it will either get the stops down or you’ll get overtime plus a nice check every few months for being violated.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

@Future only works 2 days

upschuck

Who's been doing the route? Even if you win the bid, every cut driver with more seniority would have to pass on it for you to work. If that hasn't been happening now, you shouldn't expect anything to change, except that everyday you do work, it will be that route. Of course that is unless seniority works differently in your building.
Here, if you have a bid route, you work before anyone that doesn't have a bid route.

In your scenario, there is no reason to even bid routes, because it means nothing.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Take it ,, who cares about the roads , drive safe , if you can’t get to a stop because of weather , let them know ,no pkg is worth killing your self ,, these morons leave Pkgs behind in centers everyday ,, you do what you can and make it home safely!!!!

... these morons leave Pkgs behind in centers everyday ,, you do what you can and make it home safely!!!!
That doesn't fly in my center. All packages have to go out on a truck, even if that means a driver has 20+ packages that will be missed. LIB are so terrible, slowing down a driver with a cram packed truck making more missed on road or longer hours for the driver a non-issue.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You can only do so much in a day !!
Take the rte , you want to make 100k a yr with a great pension !
You sacrifice and dig in , we have all been thru it , there are good days and bad , no matter what , the day always ends , don’t be afraid of something you hadn’t tried , you’ll regret it someday !

Indecisi0n

You can only do so much in a day !!
Take the rte , you want to make 100k a yr with a great pension !
You sacrifice and dig in , we have all been thru it , there are good days and bad , no matter what , the day always ends , don’t be afraid of something you hadn’t tried , you’ll regret it someday !
So true.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sounds like a perfect route to get the stop count lowered. Take it. Make sure you have a good set of tire chains (you may even want to buy a good tow strap). Pack a survival bag to carry with you. Rural people talk to each other. If you see someone in the ditch offer to help. You will be paid back many times over. Beware that if the route is really "out there" you may not have cell service. If you are someone who can't survive without a cell phone the route might not be for you. If you do take it remember -come summertime- you have all that scenery to enjoy.