Should I quit FedEx for UPS

hypo hanna

You are only seeing one side of the beast. The backside is the interpretation and implementation of the contract. If UPS knows they are paying 40% more in wages and benefits, they will have concerted efforts to get 55% more productivity out of each worker.
You are only seeing one side of the beast. The backside is the interpretation and implementation of the contract. If UPS knows they are paying 40% more in wages and benefits, they will have concerted efforts to get 55% more productivity out of each worker.
They ma,y but the union is well aware that that will be the companies' tactic , and they have such things written into the contract to protect the union member. Can they predict every move UPS will make? Doubtful. Still it's better then the FedEx-employee model. At least the UPS driver has a seat at the table.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yeah. The amount of volume on UPS trucks compared to Express trucks. Boxes vs envelopes.

Sent using BrownCafe App
clueless4.jpg

chargerlou

Yeah. The amount of volume on UPS trucks compared to Express trucks. Boxes vs envelopes.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes u are so right ! But I'm still satisfied with the pay I earn to do this and yes it's very hard work but it's what I chose and I'm ok with it and no disrespect to express cuz that's where I started I'm proud to say I worked at fed ex but now prouder I work for UPS :)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
neither of these outfits would ever instill any pride in me these days unfortunately. It's just a dumb job moving packages from one place to another....and then getting up and doing it all over again the next day, and the next, and the next, and the next, and th

Serf

Psst.....we are in the midst of a nation wide hiring spree.

Resident know-it-all.
Roger that. Don't think I did not inquire to the UPS guys I see on my stops. They basically echoed the same sentiment as the forum did; if you can handle making 9$ an hour at a rather unorthodox hour to be working, with no real guarantee of moving up in a suitable time frame, by all means.

Hroller

I did the seasonal thing for UPS for 4 years. Not a bad gig. work 6 months make $25k then get unemployment for the other six. Allowed me to go south in the early part of the winter, after peak and do other things like fix up and flip houses.

Downside: No health benefits and the foreclosed house market got smaller.

I joined Fed Ex. Courier. 15.88 an hour 25 hours a week. Bennys after 90 days.

Downside at Fed Ex. After deductions only took home $210 Worked 3pm to 8pm and Saturday mornings.

UPS called me up. Offered me a package handler position. $9 to start. 17 hours...No insurance for 12 months. OUCH.

But said I would drive seasonal 6 months out of the year.

Long story short.....After three months, I got on full time with the addition of new drivers per the new contract.

$18.75 per hour 45-50 hours per week.

UPS drivers top out in four years. Right now top is $32, goes to $37 in 2019.

hypo hanna

UPS drivers top out in four years. Right now top is $32, goes to $37 in 2019.
$32 is About 9 dollars more an hour then the fedex pay in my market. That's IF you could wait out the 20+ years to top out. Might be a couple of anemic 2% raises between now and 2019 for the fedex drivers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
$32 is About 9 dollars more an hour then the fedex pay in my market. That's IF you could wait out the 20+ years to top out. Might be a couple of anemic 2% raises between now and 2019 for the fedex drivers.

Don't forget the UPS Pension and medical, which adds significantly more to the huge gap in compensation between Fred's Plantation and Big Brown.

Serf

The midwest

I'm actually a seasonal package handler now... they just asked me two weeks ago if I would like to drive and if I do really good I will be hired off the street. I'm jumping on it.
Good. I met a guy who was hired in off the street. He was seasonal. Until 30 days of what he called "making scratch." Do the 9 hours of work they give for a month with little to no problems. And you are in.