Should I quit or stay?

Ramned

hey man, im doing the samething. college and going after the same degree, but i never thought about quitting. thats actually the stupidest move you could do if you think about it. if you quit UPS, whats your backup? because college is definitely not a guarantee for employment afterwards. and i dont mean to be a driver either. UPS has a tech department where your branch of engineering could probably be useful(i know mine is).

i got confused where you said you usually arrive late as hell. i am usually on time with enough sleep for work and i've been attending my school for over a year now, a solid 3.6 GPA, too. no complaints either. i dunno, maybe its more about who the individual is and what the priorities are.

so if you're gonna quit, make sure you've thought it through well. not alot of companies can provide what UPS can

The reason I arrive late 2 days a week is due to class schedule conflict. Also, do you go to a university or a smaller school / technical school. Most people at my work go to Columbus State or something like that, so they aren't as involved. Also, are you living on campus? I'm paying 8,000$ / year to live on campus with the explicity purpose of enjoying college life. But working 4-5 days / week kinda takes the point out of that...

Ramned

This is not the old UPS !!! years ago you would of been shown the door after a second late arrival.. This is not the place for you.. You want to reap the benifets of a good job with a good school re/embershment program & thats fine..But for thousands of other kids who do so,Show Up On Tme!! Its time to grow up,put aside your raquet ball games & put aside some of your social life.Your goal in life now should be to pay off some of your loans with this job or have some pocket money from the job.It's time to grow up and have some priorities in life. I hope your parents brought up up with some sort of work ethic. If they did you surley are not displaying it to us.If the job is not suited for your needs perhaps you shouldn't be so selfish & leave it to another who can use the job & may need the benefits.God knows in this economy this job may mean the world to some one !!

Kind of an out-of-line post there buddy....I guarentee you couldn't handle a 5-day / week job, participating in a club sport as a varsity member (required to practice), AND maintain an "A" average GPA so that you can retain the scholarship that got you there...in an ENGINEERING major. And take care of you other responsibilities.

My late arrivals have been deemed INCONVENIENT but acceptable for 2 reasons:

1) I have a schedule conflict with my classes.
2) I have been a good employee and management is willing to cooperate with me so that I don't leave. They would rather keep me than hire inexperience.

My #1 priority (which, BTW, my priorities are WELL in line) is school. I don't need you telling me to keep my priorities in line. If I was a lousy worker, then management would not be going out of their way to help me. I think that's a testament to my "work ethic."

Ramned

I think you should schedule your classes better and suck it up. I have worked at UPS for 8 years. I took me 8 years to get my degree from OSU because I was busy with the military also. So I had 2 jobs and still managed to get it done.

And I didn't have an easy major, I was an aviation major spending 15 hours a week at the flight school. Combine that with the 15 hours of classes or more I had and 20 hours of UPS and another 16 hours one weekend a month I was quite busy.

Best thing I ever did. BTW, if the engineering doesn't work out you can stick around at UPS. That job may not be there in 2 quarters.

Yes, that is one well argued side of opinion. But with such a load as what you had, how could you have possibly enjoyed college life and participate in sports? There are 2 parts to a college education: First and foremost, of course, is what becomes your degree. But the reason why I chose Ohio State is because of the second reason - college life. As a person, if you get involved in such a university you will make important friendships, learn important lessons, and develop your character. I think that is something Ohio State offers very well (as compared to Ivy league schools). I think it is important to have a balance in your life...WORK ... but also SOME fun. I don't see how you could have had that in your hectic college experience..

Also I need to point out again I really value my job...giving it up would be hard.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ramned, is work study an option at The Ohio State? The hours are much more flexible and should put enough money in to your pocket and still allow you to enjoy college life.

beatupbrown

You will probably regret not getting a higher education the rest of your life,
If you want a blue collar job that pays decent wage that can come later after you get the education and do not like or can not get a white collar job. With a higher education the ladder is much higher.
There are many blue collar jobs that pay as much as UPS or better with out being treated like this is the only job so I can treat you like s…..

SnowCitizen

I like working at UPS. It is a challenge and I like pushing myself - I look at it as a competition to strive to go as fast as possible.

But now I've started college at THE ohio state university. Working 5 days a week on top of being an engineering major and involved in raquetball and other stuff is taking its toll. 3 days a week THIS QUARTER ONLY my schedule is causing my to arrive an hour or more LATE.

I told my FT Supervisor, perhaps I should take leave. But amazingly, he told me not to, after arriving late by 80 minutes that day. Instead, he is giving me 1 day off every week, which is amazing, I've never heard of such a thing. And he is setting my stagger 1 hr later on the days of conflict! I am suprised he is going to such lengths to help me out and I appreciate it.

Yesterday, I was supposed to work. Today, I arrived 20 minutes late. My Part-time supervisor is of coursed getting pissed at this. But my FT supervisor hasn't reprimanded me AT ALL. My PT supe asked if I was going to quit, I told him I'm leaning that way, but I can't seem to do it. Especially since in December I get tuition reimbursement.

I'm paying 8,000$ / year to enjoy living on campus. So by working at UPS I feel I am actually LOSING money. But I like my job and can't see myself doing anything else!

I can't decide if I should stay or put in my 2 weeks and return winter quarter or even next summer...

I feel I must be a good worker because my FT supe doesn't want me to take leave, or so I assume from his exaggerated willingness to help me out. But I can't let it interfere with my grades, and it definitly is cutting into my time to enjoy college life...

There are no questions being asked, what exactly do you want? Or is this a thread for us to post our everyday schedule conflicts?

I work night shift, so I sleep in the morning, so if I want McDonald's breakfast I am SoL. Or maybe I should pay someone to get it for me and put it in my fridge and I can heat it up when I wake up. But then it might be soggy and it is just not the same......

Also, can you explain to me how by working at UPS you are losing money? Do you actually write them a check on Fridays? This may be the reason management is working so hard to keep you.

Ramned

Also, can you explain to me how by working at UPS you are losing money? Do you actually write them a check on Fridays? This may be the reason management is working so hard to keep you.

Ha, that deserved a lol.

I'm paying 8,000$ / year to live on campus; it's 15 minutes from home and equidistant to work. The purpose of living on campus is not only to have accessible classes, but to participate in college life.

Working 5 days / week sharply cuts into that. I'd say I'm making around 11-12k / year at UPS...but paying 8000$ / yr JUST to stay on campus is now not gaining much.

I'm leaning to staying with UPS at this point...I have a 4-day week and stagger time is increased so I'm not overwhelmed.