Should I wait for driver or get apprenticeship?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Neither of those pay enough around here. According to BLS the median salary is 48,530, and that sounds about right based on my knowledge.
We did have a company offering $40hr for a refrigeration tech, but that still falls way short of what I would need to switch. UPS has me by the balls.
Median figures likely include and are brought down by residential techs, techs that are no good, techs that can't work on controls, and areas with lower costs of living. Good commercial/industrial techs that also know controls or are proficient in multiple relevant trades can command much higher prices, and it goes up relevant to their area's cost of living.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Median figures likely include and are brought down by residential techs, techs that are no good, techs that can't work on controls, and areas with lower costs of living. Good commercial/industrial techs that also know controls or are proficient in multiple relevant trades can command much higher prices, and it goes up relevant to their area's cost of living.
The guy don't know it is what you put into get the 50000

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Commercial electrician and HVAC/R technician.

That is a good specialty, you probably won't have any trouble as you get older. BtW if you ever want a pension UPS BaSE would hire you fast. Pays slightly more than a driver here but we also get an annuity on top of our pension, atleast here in New england we do

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Building and systems engineering..

Used to be called PE plant engineering

I am in automotive but the Base guys are under the same contract and get paid the same, In my area we are in the IAM, we have a good amount of autonomy in the workplace too, they dont hound us and try to fire us for everything like the rest of UPS

I have considered moving over to the base/pe job myself.. same pay less stupidity from management

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've been a preloader for 2 years. I'm 31 and really need a career. I know if I don't work here for 3 more years I won't get any pension.

If I do an apprenticeship for like a plumber it's still about 4-5 year program, and worse insurance and probably no pension.

No idea how long I have to wait for driver position. Any advice?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've been a preloader for 2 years. I'm 31 and really need a career. I know if I don't work here for 3 more years I won't get any pension.

If I do an apprenticeship for like a plumber it's still about 4-5 year program, and worse insurance and probably no pension.

No idea how long I have to wait for driver position. Any advice?
If u could do it over I would have done heavy machinery apprenticeship