Should I?

rebel

We had a sup catch a driver sleeping on his route. The driver had been sleeping for over 1 1/2 hours. This driver has serious issues and has been suspected of using drugs while on duty. This sup continues to cover for him and told him to code 5 and show the extra lunch even though there are supposed to be no code 5's in our center. It has been over 10 days so the driver can't get in any trouble. The sup has told several about this so I think any investigation would prove such. Is this worth reporting the sup to the UPS help line.

rebel

Sounds like the sup did this guy a great favor. Why do you want to take this further?

He would take me out in a second. I looked through my employee file the other day and to my surprise I found all sorts of write ups he has done on me without my knowledge. It seems he has been trying to build a case. He has his favorites to which he turns his head. As a steward I have been dealing with him for several years so I know him very well. I could go on all day.

over9five

Staff member
Then as a steward, you know there are some things we keep "in the bank". You'll write this down in your book, and someday you'll withdraw it and use it to save a job.

He's keeping all those records on you...keep some on him.

browniehound

Then as a steward, you know there are some things we keep "in the bank". You'll write this down in your book, and someday you'll withdraw it and use it to save a job.

He's keeping all those records on you...keep some on him.

Over makes a great point here. It would be great if more drivers kept records on themselves or at least some notes.

I'm talking just a little date book with notes about the number of stops, pieces, miles, certain splits you had, misloads, misloads you went off area to deliver and the time it took, add/cuts that didn't get cut, packages that weren't in EDD to name a few elements.

This way, if they question your performance you can bust out your little notebook and tell them it took you 25 minutes to deliver that NDA saver that should have been loaded 2 cars down from you.

If they try to blame you for a missing delivery scan or one that showed up a day late you can show them your little notebook proving you were missing the package on said date.

I know this can be cumbersome, but I started doing this about 3 months ago. I feel good about it because I now have something solid to back my words up with now.

I always keep track of my hours (punch in, punch out time) the route I do, my lunch time, how many del. stop/pcs, pick up stops/pcs., miles, and any strange splits... That way in say 3 weeks or so if they ask me about delivery or driver follow up or anything else I know if I was even doing that route that day. In many cases I wasn't in that area in question. I use the blank paper on the bottom of a delivery notice pack.

browniehound

I always keep track of my hours (punch in, punch out time) the route I do, my lunch time, how many del. stop/pcs, pick up stops/pcs., miles, and any strange splits... That way in say 3 weeks or so if they ask me about delivery or driver follow up or anything else I know if I was even doing that route that day. In many cases I wasn't in that area in question. I use the blank paper on the bottom of a delivery notice pack.

Excellent post, 1989. We need to cover our butts with our own notes about the day

rebel

I do keep my daily manifest and make notes on it. I have been to many panels and seen the company throw out big stacks of paper from your employee file. I have also used notes with out any success. For me, the best documentation is in the form of a grievance. You can always settle them before a local. By the time you get to a local they will say they didnt know there was a problem, they have not seen any grievances. For me, this has worked very well for not only me but also the bargaining unit employees. This dude is as two faced as you have ever seen.