Should we be somewhat worried?

Johney

REA also thought they were invincible and also thought that losing a portion of their market share was "acceptable" because volume kept increasing.

Do I think we are going anywhere anytime soon? Of course not-----volume and profits are at record levels; however, unless the wage discrepancy between ourselves and Ground is addressed, small package may soon become just another division with United Parcel Service, Inc.
And where would this volume go? FedEx? They could not handle it and if they tried their workers would eventually get tired of being run into the ground for miniscule wages. Then what? Pay them more? Hmmm.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And where would this volume go? FedEx? They could not handle it and if they tried their workers would eventually get tired of being run into the ground for miniscule wages. Then what? Pay them more? Hmmm.
I hate to use these words because I don't believe in it but I'll bet the government considers us. "Too big to fail"

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Now they pay extra because watching me leave is twice as good as watching me walk in.
2014-08-10-10-26-57-1404174514.jpeg

Overpaid Union Thug

The other day I had to track a package on fedex.com and I noticed their top banner said that FedEx Ground was faster to more locations than UPS Ground. Or something like that. Now that is a damn shame.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The other day I had to track a package on fedex.com and I noticed their top banner said that FedEx Ground was faster to more locations than UPS Ground. Or something like that. Now that is a damn shame.
Pretty well known fact. We use the rails to move a lot of volume.

Many sleeper teams are being added to better compete.

S

selfcancelsignal

Ground matches our rate increases penny for penny which keeps their (non discounted) rates about 10% below ours.

Did you put sales leads in to try to get that volume back? It may be tough, especially if the school in question is a state school, but it is worth a try.

The bottom line is our operating costs make it tough for us to remain competitive with Ground and local carriers.

Resident know-it-all.
I wouldn't know the 1st thing about sales leads. They don't teach you that shizz anymore, + when is there time to friend--- with that?

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Some what true, but there is also the issue of repealing our status under the RLA and getting into the NRLA status. Until that is dealt with Fred's house will be non-union.
As long as Fred keeps paying them off they will never reclassify, money talks bs walks.

Johney

Is FedEx Ground and Freight also classified under the RLA?
I believe the air division only. I think the main problem with FedEx ground is they are mostly route owners who pay contractors to run their routes. So if the owners don't care what leg do the contractors have.

barnyard

KTM rider
There are regional delivery services all over the country like Spee Dee. The problem they typically have is they get a really large shipper on board, then fail at peak and lose them back to us or Fed Ex. Where I am, it is faster to ship UPS than Spee Dee, plus during peak, they start parking trailers in their lot 2 weeks before Christmas and are usually done delivering pre-Christmas packages a week or so after.

Their only advantage is price.

PT Car Washer

I believe the air division only. I think the main problem with FedEx ground is they are mostly route owners who pay contractors to run their routes. So if the owners don't care what leg do the contractors have.
I agree about the problem of organizing the delivery drivers. Bur isn't the warehouse workers and OTR drivers FedEx employees. I know it would not be easy, but does that mean the Teamsters shouldn't try.

Johney

I agree about the problem of organizing the delivery drivers. Bur isn't the warehouse workers and OTR drivers FedEx employees. I know it would not be easy, but does that mean the Teamsters shouldn't try.
I think they have tried. But think about it we can't get OUR p/ters to take a vote seriously(except BB58)do you really think they can get FedEx p/ters too?

PT Car Washer

I see a lot Spee Dee boxes when I do pick ups. More then UPS and FedEx Ground combined.They just built a new sorting facility. My son worked there this summer. You are right they are just regional.

barnyard

KTM rider
You do not understand how many people do not care about being in the union. Call your union hall and see if there is an group in your area trying to organize. If there is, volunteer to go help. I have done it. Next time, I will just beat my head against a wall. It will be less painful and more satisfying.

PT Car Washer

I think they have tried. But think about it we can't get OUR p/ters to take a vote seriously(except BB58)do you really think they can get FedEx p/ters too?
I am sure that is FedEx argument to their PTers. If you vote in the Union you will make as little as UPS pays its PT employees. It is a valid argument.