Shoulder pain progressively getting worse

Nah
Hey kinda on the same topic here. How would you word a grievance if UPS is forcing you to work outside of your power zone. Say a shorter belt splitter that has to fully extend her arms to split the opposite side of the belt.
I would start by refusing to work outside my power zone.

Nah
She does that and then management threatens discipline for insubordination or something?
It's not safe to work outside your power zone. It's literally in the 8 keys to lifting and lowering they make you recite all the time. Don't use end range motions. And they can't force anyone to work unsafe. There will be no formal discipline that sticks if she refuses.

Worst case scenario they move her somewhere else.

TeltBender

I can see you’ve been through UPS quality training. They must’ve skipped telling you about power zone.
I assume outside my power zone is like throwing packages overhead to load to the top? Nobody in my section uses them loadstands. Unless it’s a VERY light truck or when we need to make the load look good for a picture

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hey kinda on the same topic here. How would you word a grievance if UPS is forcing you to work outside of your power zone. Say a shorter belt splitter that has to fully extend her arms to split the opposite side of the belt.
Does the problem exist because there is no diverter on the sort belt or in your opinion is she just too short to safely perform the belt splitter job?

Last edited:

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I assume outside my power zone is like throwing packages overhead to load to the top? Nobody in my section uses them loadstands. Unless it’s a VERY light truck or when we need to make the load look good for a picture
The power zone is the region from your armpit, to mid thigh.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I would start by refusing to work outside my power zone.
Never start with "I refuse" or "I won't".

What I tell people to do, is have a witness nearby, and inform management that their orders will force you to work unsafely.
Ask them if they are instructing you to be unsafe.
Make them be on the record. 99% of the time, they won't be willing to force the employee, and they'll back down.

She does that and then management threatens discipline for insubordination or something?
Again, try not to directly refuse, unless they force the issue.
Start with what I said above, and only refuse to work as directed if you feel there is an immediate threat to your health and wellbeing.

Before it even comes to that, find your steward, and lay it all out for him/her. And don't leave anything out.

What the hell is a power zone
The safety committee is still doing good work, I see. :lol:

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
If it's a safety issue, I'd absolutely use those words. What are they gonna do?
Treads closer to insubordination than I'd like for opening remarks.

If you make them go on record, it gets the job done without getting that confrontational.
And you still have the ability to refuse if they are willing to follow through, and order you to do the unsafe thing anyway.

At a local level hearing, I'd sooner have conversations about why supervisor Johnny is ordering people to do unsafe things than to have a conversation about why employee Davey was refusing to work as directed.

When the supervisor goes into the office to complain to the full timer that you are refusing to work as directed, he'll leave the safety bit out. And that just muddies the waters, and puts you in a position where you have to justify yourself, instead of the other way around.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Treads closer to insubordination than I'd like for opening remarks.

If you make them go on record, it gets the job done without getting that confrontational.
And you still have the ability to refuse if they are willing to follow through, and order you to do the unsafe thing anyway.

At a local level hearing, I'd sooner have conversations about why supervisor Johnny is ordering people to do unsafe things than to have a conversation about why employee Davey was refusing to work as directed.

When the supervisor goes into the office to complain to the full timer that you are refusing to work as directed, he'll leave the safety bit out. And that just muddies the waters, and puts you in a position where you have to justify yourself, instead of the other way around.
Well said.