sick days for part time preload

arice11

I've worked for UPS for 9 months. My wisdom teeth are making me spit blood every morning, so today I called in.
I'm worried about a writeup so id like to know if going to a dentist and collecting a note will help keep my record clean.
I would have gone sooner but my benefits don't kick in for several more months.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I've worked for UPS for 9 months. My wisdom teeth are making me spit blood every morning, so today I called in.
I'm worried about a writeup so id like to know if going to a dentist and collecting a note will help keep my record clean.

Why are you worried about a write up?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Doctor's note makes it an excused absence. Even if you couldn't get one, missing a day with a decent excuse isn't that big of a deal. It's the guys calling in once a week or more that have a problem.

Box Ox

Part timers at my center have no problem getting a day off as long as there's someone ready to load their routes when the belt starts. Would probably be even easier for a bloody mouther who might set a new misload record for good reason or potentially spread bloodborne pathogens all over the place.

cynic

Want to add if you do get some type of discipline file art 37 and do not sign anything and file art 6

Shouldn't you ask for your steward when they want to write you up for anything you feel can lead to disciplinary action then or in the future? If no steward provided and if the conversation proceeds past your request for representation you can also file on your PT/FT sup for refusing to provide you with representation - correct? (Sorry, I don't have the articles memorized, and a big thanks to my steward!)

Being in a RTW state with minimal PT membership, we're thin on stewards and they never manage to be able to "find one" - so we manage to hardly ever get written up. "Poor" non-union PT'ers are signing away constantly - ignorance is not bliss.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Shouldn't you ask for your steward when they want to write you up for anything you feel can lead to disciplinary action then or in the future? If no steward provided and if the conversation proceeds past your request for representation you can also file on your PT/FT sup for refusing to provide you with representation - correct? (Sorry, I don't have the articles memorized, and a big thanks to my steward!)

Being in a RTW state with minimal PT membership, we're thin on stewards and they never manage to be able to "find one" - so we manage to hardly ever get written up. "Poor" non-union PT'ers are signing away constantly - ignorance is not bliss.

Absolutely right brother. If they don't get your steward they have to get you to waive your rights. Otherwise the discipline never happens (well it could, but you'd just have to file against it and itd win)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Absences just give upper management an excuse to have part-time supervisors do union work. They love it because it helps them get their production numbers. As long as you called in an hour or more before your start time there is nothing to worry about. We have people missing a day every other week without any good reason, no one says a damn thing to them.