Sick on first day of probation

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I don't know what the sickness paradigm is, there. ... A lot of places of employment mandate that you stay home if you're contagious, since you'll ultimately decrease productivity by getting other people sick.

UPSers (employee website) indicates that we should always stay home if we're sick (contagious, decreased productivity) but local management will harass you pretty much anytime you call in. Our facility calculates an average call-in rate annually and uses it as a baseline in issuing discipline. For 2014, it's 6 "occurrences" within a 9-month period. An occurrence means that if you're our for one-week with the flu and provide a doctor's note, it counts as just one occurrence. But if you start racking up the doctor's notes, they refer you to their doctors.

So in other words ... if you're a PTer who's obtained seniority, the attendance policy is pretty loose. The only people I've ever seen fired for attendance had 30 or more call-ins per year. Really.

It may be rude, but I'm not burning a sick day just because I have a cold and may be contagious...

I'd bet that 90% or more of your co-workers feel the same way ... which is why we get an extra week of vacation instead of sick days here.

9.5er

It never fails if I try to call in sick I always get the "we need ya" or "we have a route sitting" or "who do you think is going to deliver this stuff" comments. I rarely call in and often wonder if the guys that call in frequently get the same treatment or do they expect it from them and not me.

To the OP, tough it out and go in to work Mon. Do not give them any reason to let you go. With peak behind us the work is slowing down and may not need you if you are going to have attendance issues.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
It never fails if I try to call in sick I always get the "we need ya" or "we have a route sitting" or "who do you think is going to deliver this stuff" comments. I rarely call in and often wonder if the guys that call in frequently get the same treatment or do they expect it from them and not me.

To the OP, tough it out and go in to work Mon. Do not give them any reason to let you go. With peak behind us the work is slowing down and may not need you if you are going to have attendance issues.

For years we were harassed when we called in sick, the supervisors used to do their best to guilt you into coming in.

Then one day we get this new supervisor. I called in, said I couldn't make it, all I got was "OK" and he hung up. I never felt so un-needed in all my life lol.

Rawrzxor

Eck. Quoting doesn't seem to work on my phone.

That's exactly what I needed to know, Bagels. :) Thank ya; thank ya. I'll go ahead and work no matter what until I make senority.