Signing for others packages

john346

No more Brown!
Last Friday we lost a fellow driver to management and their HUGE stones. They fired him because they felt he was taking the drug packages home and selling the narcotics because he has a nice home, and lots of nice toys. No proof, mind you, just a hunch. I'm certain that after time, they'll bring him back, but personally, I think I'd hire an attorney and go for broke.
The jist of this is that they continually bring me high value parcels for delivery that they want me to sign for. Occasionally, I come back to the center with them as a NI 1, or whatever. Bottom line is, I'm not terribly comfortable just leaving the box in my car, or with the clerks. If the package should grow legs, I'm the last guy who signed for it and with their belief that we are all capable of theft, I'm wondering what would happen if I refused to sign for the package?
Is it a mandatory thing?

Brown Rocket

If I have signed for a package and it is a NI1 it goes to the PM high value clerk and gets put in "the cage" (essentially a metal mesh box attatched to a flat cart) by her in my presence. Then the OMS supervisor in charge of HV gets them all out in the AM and has drivers sign for them again.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Tell your management that if they want you to sign for a high-value package, you will need someone else to sign for it if you bring it back.

In my center, the high-value packages are sitting on the center manager's desk and we are supposed to sign a log when we pick them up in the AM. I dont sign it, I just take it and go.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Tell your management that if they want you to sign for a high-value package, you will need someone else to sign for it if you bring it back.

In my center, the high-value packages are sitting on the center manager's desk and we are supposed to sign a log when we pick them up in the AM. I dont sign it, I just take it and go.

They don't really get to make any decisions, they are puppets of IE.
IE makes all the decisions ... even if they get 3 point seat belts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HV pkgs with a value in excess of $5K are put in plastic bags and controlled each step of the way, including when put out for delivery. We have to sign for the pkg before we leave the bldg in the morning and have to put HV in the remarks column at delivery. If the pkg is not delivered, we must bring it back to the CMs office where it is kept overnight.

The option does not exist to not sign for the pkg.

The first part of your story does not make any sense.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Around here they just load the HV packages along with everything else. The first I hear about it is when the OMS comes up to me in the morning with some paperwork, wanting me to go back and get a signature for the $25K package that I DR'ed last week.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
back to the CMs office where it is kept overnight.

center manager's office? Nothing more secure? We have a security cage in plain view with a security camera pointed at it. And yes, you need to sign for it, the supe does' nt want any HV package suddenly developing legs.

brownrodster

Around here they just load the HV packages along with everything else. The first I hear about it is when the OMS comes up to me in the morning with some paperwork, wanting me to go back and get a signature for the $25K package that I DR'ed last week.

Sounds like we have the same management team.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Same here Jones. We don't sign for anything. They are handed to us, usually, but not always. Sometimes they are just loaded. We might or might not get an ods telling us that we have to get a signature.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
First off I don't sign the high value control log.
It implies that the package has been "controlled" in some way and how do I know this to be the case?
In my center high value air packages are loaded like any other package and the log is in my diad slot at clock in.
Not knowing whether the package has been controlled, I do not sign.
If the log was to indicate that my signature only meant I took possession of said package, then I would probably sign, only if the package was in pristine condition and the tracking number matched.

Secondly, when a high value is not delivered for any reason I return it to the high value clerk or a supervisor.
At that time I make sure the disposition of the package is noted in the provided box at the botton of the control log.
I then have the person who takes the package sign the control log in the box also provided at the bottom of the page to verify I returned it to them.
I then take a copy for my records.
CYA achieved.

Hangingon

Last Friday we lost a fellow driver to management and their HUGE stones. They fired him because they felt he was taking the drug packages home and selling the narcotics because he has a nice home, and lots of nice toys. No proof, mind you, just a hunch. I'm certain that after time, they'll bring him back, but personally, I think I'd hire an attorney and go for broke.
We had a driver fired here on Thursday for 'Industrial Sabotage'. His DIAD didn't have his normal PU's. They added some and took out others, so he didn't go by the ones that weren't in his board. He comes in the next day and center manager fires him for not making the PU's since they were all missed and accuses him of industrial sabotage. He was back at work by Friday once the DM heard about it and will be paid for the missed day. Not much they do any more surprises me, but occasionally they out do themselves.

SKAGITDRIVER

I do not sign for them in the morning. I still see a lot of drivers who do. I asked one driver one morning what he had just signed for and he had no idea what was in the package how foolish is that

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They hand us the pkg along with the high value paperwork. I compare the 1Z on both to make sure they match. I sign the paperwork and then put HV in the remarks when I make the delivery. If I am unable to deliver pkg it goes to the CMs office and we try again the next day.

bigblu 2 you

We had a driver fired here on Thursday for 'Industrial Sabotage'. His DIAD didn't have his normal PU's. They added some and took out others, so he didn't go by the ones that weren't in his board. He comes in the next day and center manager fires him for not making the PU's since they were all missed and accuses him of industrial sabotage. He was back at work by Friday once the DM heard about it and will be paid for the missed day. Not much they do any more surprises me, but occasionally they out do themselves.
industrial sabotage? is his employee id 000007?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
industrial sabotage? is his employee id 000007?
"Industrial sabotage" was the buzzword around here for a while, I was once accused of it because I didn't inform them I wasn't going to make 9.5 by the specified time (1500 I think it was).

Another favorite around here was "job abandonment". Pretty much anything you did would somehow be construed as job abandonment.

QKRSTKR

Crazy. we don't sign for HV's either in the morning. They get loaded in Pkg car and usually have paperwork with them that I don't sign till pkg is delievered. I was told that our signature is that we followed procedures for delivering HV pkgs, no dr, no left at, etc.

The jist of this is that they continually bring me high value parcels for delivery that they want me to sign for. Occasionally, I come back to the center with them as a NI 1, or whatever. Bottom line is, I'm not terribly comfortable just leaving the box in my car, or with the clerks. If the package should grow legs, I'm the last guy who signed for it and with their belief that we are all capable of theft, I'm wondering what would happen if I refused to sign for the package?
Is it a mandatory thing?
John, do you know all this to be fact? Or are you going by what "someone" told you?
If this is as you posted, there is no way this will fly. Not only are they giving the diver an extra paid vacation, but they are opening themselves up for one hell of a law suit.

On the other part, CYA and get something signed to prove you brought the package back or have it witnessed by an hourly(preferably a steward) you can trust..

satellitedriver

I just get a yellow, hand written "post it" note taped to my pickup log.
(The 1Z, address and directions not to DR)
If I can not deliver it, I treat it like any other send again.