Situation @ Work Need Help and Advice Everyone

tieguy

Banned
Didn't the government, back in the early '70s, tell UPS that their policy of hireing only students was illegal? Being a student was not a legitimate requirement to handle boxes, and still isn't.

Are you sure they are practicing this policy currently in your area?

You try to hire people that need part time work rather then full time. Within that realm retirees, housewives and students are generally those looking for part time work.
Its not discriminatory to try to hire people actually looking for part time work for part time jobs. It actually makes them more qualified for the job.
If you hire people looking for full time work then they tend to quit on you.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
You can't file just because your unhappy. There is no greivance here. Past Practice is union lingo that is about as worthless as the workforce. "Past practice" works for some situations but not this one.

As for your sup, he is on a power trip. Had you not said anything abut Monday's and just called off, he probably would of never caught on. Now you painted a big bullseye on your back. If you went to HR then the bullseye just got larger.

As for you, what came first the chicken or the egg? Did you have your job at UPS before you made your schedule? Of course you did, so why take the Monday night class? The road you are traveling on has been paved by a bunch of guys before you. Some of them took night classes so they only had four day work weeks, some just told UPS they had night classes so they could have three day weekends. The point I am making is UPS just didn't wake up and say screw the college kids. UPS got tired of getting screwed by the college workforce and just said "no more schooling allowances."

I always thought the college thing was good for UPS, but both sides screwed it up in the end.

Well the cloak of anonymity has been reduced by one. Socks, you cannot be my hub manager because my son who works the twi needed one class to finish his associate degree . The class was only offered late Wednesdays afternoon into the early evening.He was afforded the ability to have off after he presented his schedule for the second semester. This has been a past practice in our location to work with students.

22.34life

we try to be flexible. Every now and then we also try to remind ourselves that we still have a business to run and committments to customers to keep.

I understand that more of my point is why have a buisness that is totally part time and targeted at students if your not willing to deal with what comes along with it.

22.34life

As for your sup, he is on a power trip. Had you not said anything abut Monday's and just called off, he probably would of never caught on. Now you painted a big bullseye on your back. If you went to HR then the bullseye just got larger.
this is real good advice to give someone,and on top of that from managment.yea just call in instead of asking for it off that way you can get in trouble for attendence.this is much better than having you planned not to be there so your area can be short staffed at the last minute,this is really bad advice to give someone,this guy did it right and your telling him how to do it wrong,way to go.