Six Punch

shaco

The Demon Jester
This is a straight up local to local thing now, man. I think any stew and ba in their right mind would stand up for a worker fighting against forced 6th punches, but it’s a crazy world we live in. Every local-UPS hub/center relationship is different. Our BA was a driver at our center for 20 years and so he’s probably a little bit more invested in us than other scenarios, to be honest.
damn, ill have to talk to some folks next week and see if I can get some more info out of our BA/stewards I have yet to receive any discipline for calling in on Saturdays but when they were talking to me just recently I got a different not so bluffy vibe

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Morale of the story: if you can work and make the OT you should just do it. Drop anchor and take care of yourself: be ultra aware of the extra toll on your body, do every little thing extra safe. Rake in the dough.
If you are over burnt out, have responsibilities with your kids you don’t wanna miss, extra sore from the week, whatever, and you have the balls to fight: call in. It’s your choice. None of us signed up for year round peak, that’s for sure, and the more people that have the balls to fight it the better off we’ll all be pertaining to this issue.
And yet you're jabbed

542thruNthru

"the workweek shall consist of 5 consecutive days either m-friend or t-s" is this still in effect? I was told recently that it is "mandatory"
from all the sups as well as a union rep.. idk where to get my info from if not the UPS Western Region Supplement
Let me ask you a question that my steward posed to me a couple years back. If this means you only can be made to work 5 days...

Western: The regular scheduled work week, other than as provided in subsections (b) and (c) below, shall consist of five (5) consecutive days Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday.

Does this mean you can only be made to work 8 hours?

Western: The regular scheduled work day, except as provided in subsection (b) below, shall consist of eight (8) consecutive hours, with an established start time, excluding a non paid meal period of either one half (½) or one (1) hour as provided in each respective area or local Addendum or Rider.

Our workday workweek language is our minimum guarantee is what was explained to me by my BA.If you don't want to come in or can not come in then call out fatigued and fight the discipline if or when it comes.

shaco

The Demon Jester
Let me ask you a question that my steward posed to me a couple years back. If this means you only can be made to work 5 days...

Western: The regular scheduled work week, other than as provided in subsections (b) and (c) below, shall consist of five (5) consecutive days Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday.

Western: The regular scheduled work day, except as provided in subsection (b) below, shall consist of eight (8) consecutive hours, with an established start time, excluding a non paid meal period of either one half (½) or one (1) hour as provided in each respective area or local Addendum or Rider.

Our workday workweek language is our minimum guarantee is what was explained to me by my BA.If you don't want to come in or can not come in then call out fatigued and fight the discipline if or when it comes.
I suppose you do have a point, though one could argue if it were a minimum guarantee there is no need for this language

"The regular scheduled work day"

"The regular scheduled work week"

so then the question would be what constitutes as a regularly scheduled work day/week and how long does it have to go on for to be considered "regular" as well as what does regular mean exactly

one thing to also consider since it is peak season, would peak season be considered irregular?

if it were I would assume that there would be language stating that this were the case such as this line used in article 19

"This procedure will not apply in the peak season of November and December."

Now that I have typed all that out I would like to mention that I am a preloader, and I do not want to be limited to 3 and 1/2 hours I just wanted to type all of that for fun and to spark conversation thanks for helping me understand article 20 a little more @542thruNthru

definition of "regular"

adjective
1.arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern, especially with the same space between individual instances.

2.recurring at uniform intervals. "a regular monthly check"

noun

1.a regular customer or member, for example of a bar, store, or team.
"attracting a richer clientele as its regulars"

Last edited:

charm299

“The workweek shall consist of 5 consecutive days either Monday thru Friday or Tuesday thru Sunday”
Our BA didn’t do anything about the forced 6 punches until they started disciplining for 6th punch call outs. Then he got mad. From then on out, our union has told us “if you don’t want the 6th punch or are fatigued, call in and any discipline regarding 6th punch attendance will be vehemently challenged, and ain’t nobody gonna lose their job. Period.
66CA273C-2406-48B3-8BB9-63998C4F6AB5.jpeg
22.4s have better language then rpcds

542thruNthru

I suppose you do have a point, though one could argue if it were a minimum guarantee there is no need for this language

"The regular scheduled work day"

"The regular scheduled work week"

so then the question would be what constitutes as a regularly scheduled work day/week and how long does it have to go on for to be considered "regular" as well as what does regular mean exactly

one thing to also consider since it is peak season, would peak season be considered irregular?

if it were I would assume that there would be language stating that this were the case such as this line used in article 19

"This procedure will not apply in the peak season of November and December."

Now that I have typed all that out I would like to mention that I am a preloader, and I do not want to be limited to 3 and 1/2 hours I just wanted to type all of that for fun and to spark conversation thanks for helping me understand article 20 a little more @542thruNthru

definition of "regular"

adjective
1.arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern, especially with the same space between individual instances.

2.recurring at uniform intervals. "a regular monthly check"

noun

1.a regular customer or member, for example of a bar, store, or team.
"attracting a richer clientele as its regulars"
This is a great and well thought out response.

Problem is that it's not, when it comes to actual contract language.

I could explain reasons why when it comes to holiday language and or article 40 language, etc, etc... My point being is you're focusing on a word when you actually haven't realized the complexity of our whole contract.

It's a common mistake. Many members read one paragraph of the contract and think they've found their answer. The problem is that a separate article depending on the language supersedes or changes that language. It's why panels argue interpretations of the contract still to this day.

Let me be clear I think 6 day punches are BS but I also think members cling to language that isn't really there but they think it supports their argument.

Anyways I'm sure I'll be attacked by some whose locals/regions fended off this attack but I'm sure they have other factors that have benefited them.

Either way.. listen to your BA and work first file later. ;)

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
This is a great and well thought out response.

Problem is that it's not, when it comes to actual contract language.

I could explain reasons why when it comes to holiday language and or article 40 language, etc, etc... My point being is you're focusing on a word when you actually haven't realized the complexity of our whole contract.

It's a common mistake. Many members read one paragraph of the contract and think they've found their answer. The problem is that a separate article depending on the language supersedes or changes that language. It's why panels argue interpretations of the contract still to this day.

Let me be clear I think 6 day punches are BS but I also think members cling to language that isn't really there but they think it supports their argument.

Anyways I'm sure I'll be attacked by some whose locals/regions fended off this attack but I'm sure they have other factors that have benefited them.

Either way.. listen to your BA and work first file later. ;)
Basically...

You are too busy to add simple yet detailed screenshots..

And...

Highlights with color coded highly emphasized sections?

You get an A for effort.

But next time we need you to do more than try.

Helping you with your helping potential.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Basically...

You are too busy to add simple yet detailed screenshots..

And...

Highlights with color coded highly emphasized sections?

You get an A for effort.

But next time we need you to do more than try.

Helping you with your helping potential.
Here is Central Region language on the subject.

Is this what you are looking for?
Screenshot_20211127-075519_Hancom Office.jpg

What'dyabringmetoday???

“The workweek shall consist of 5 consecutive days either Monday thru Friday or Tuesday thru Sunday”
Our BA didn’t do anything about the forced 6 punches until they started disciplining for 6th punch call outs. Then he got mad. From then on out, our union has told us “if you don’t want the 6th punch or are fatigued, call in and any discipline regarding 6th punch attendance will be vehemently challenged, and ain’t nobody gonna lose their job. Period.
Tuesday thru Sunday is more than 5 consecutive days.

cachmeifucan

I got a ?. So Sun is 1st day of the week i worked from 230pm to 230am Monday. Then went home slept worked Monday from 10am to 3pm. I will work Tuesday wed Thurs Friday and Saturday. Sunday is double pay. So my ?? Is wont Saturday be double pay also because its my 7th punch???? I think it is.

542thruNthru

I got a ?. So Sun is 1st day of the week i worked from 230pm to 230am Monday. Then went home slept worked Monday from 10am to 3pm. I will work Tuesday wed Thurs Friday and Saturday. Sunday is double pay. So my ?? Is wont Saturday be double pay also because its my 7th punch???? I think it is.
Well it will depend on your language. I would say no. You were paid double time on Sunday because it's the 7th day of your work week correct? Then Monday is the start of your work week. So Saturday would be your 6th punch. Same thing here with 22.4s

cachmeifucan

Well it will depend on your language. I would say no. You were paid double time on Sunday because it's the 7th day of your work week correct? Then Monday is the start of your work week. So Saturday would be your 6th punch. Same thing here with 22.4s
Sunday is our first punch out here so Saturday will be my 7th punch. Il know on dec 9th.

textat3

I used to skip my lunch, bust my hump trying to be a good dad and husband. The harder I worked, the more shortcuts I took and the more work I got. I also made huge bonus. Now 10-15 years later, my wife is married to another man, my kids don’t remember me at any of their games/events, and my stop count is higher than ever while my time study has dwindled to barely 8hrs paid. I have had 2 knee surgeries, have a hernia, pick up more and deliver more than ever, all for less money. I will only make about 130k this year and will be about the lowest paid driver in my center, I take my time now but I do miss the money.