Six Punch

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I used to skip my lunch, bust my hump trying to be a good dad and husband. The harder I worked, the more shortcuts I took and the more work I got. I also made huge bonus. Now 10-15 years later, my wife is married to another man, my kids don’t remember me at any of their games/events, and my stop count is higher than ever while my time study has dwindled to barely 8hrs paid. I have had 2 knee surgeries, have a hernia, pick up more and deliver more than ever, all for less money. I will only make about 130k this year and will be about the lowest paid driver in my center, I take my time now but I do miss the money.
I don't see anything here about signing the 9.5 list, utilizing 8 hour requests, your Article 44 rights requiring assistance with over 70's or taking your breaks and meal period???

I'm sorry to hear this and what a shame it is and a lesson in perspective....

....all that money in the wake of such enormous loss.

Thank you for your testimony.

542thruNthru

I used to skip my lunch, bust my hump trying to be a good dad and husband. The harder I worked, the more shortcuts I took and the more work I got. I also made huge bonus. Now 10-15 years later, my wife is married to another man, my kids don’t remember me at any of their games/events, and my stop count is higher than ever while my time study has dwindled to barely 8hrs paid. I have had 2 knee surgeries, have a hernia, pick up more and deliver more than ever, all for less money. I will only make about 130k this year and will be about the lowest paid driver in my center, I take my time now but I do miss the money.
We have a new 22.4 who does almost the same thing. Her husband wants her home at a normal time. She comes in an hour and a half early to load/sort her truck off the clock. She runs and kills herself hoping to get done and in and all they do is add more and more. My steward has tried to talk to her and let her know that the nature of the job is long hours especially in the beginning and no matter how hard she works they will always just give her more. It's not working for her and she's a wreck and very unpleasant to be around in the morning because she's always upset with how much work she has.

cachmeifucan

Damn that sucks. Tell me something good do u at least get random girls every once in awhile. Is the ex a fat witch.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
We have a new 22.4 who does almost the same thing. Her husband wants her home at a normal time. She comes in an hour and a half early to load/sort her truck off the clock. She runs and kills herself hoping to get done and in and all they do is add more and more. My steward has tried to talk to her and let her know that the nature of the job is long hours especially in the beginning and no matter how hard she works they will always just give her more. It's not working for her and she's a wreck and very unpleasant to be around in the morning because she's always upset with how much work she has.
She needs a work husband

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
I’m pretty sure this is all 22.4s. It’s an abusive relationship. UPS is scoring hard on this deal. Free labor every morning and ruining people’s lives. Win win.

542thruNthru

I’m pretty sure this is all 22.4s. It’s an abusive relationship. UPS is scoring hard on this deal. Free labor every morning and ruining people’s lives. Win win.
It's any low seniority driver that can't get on the 9.5. centers that don't have 22.4s have the same issue. We also have cover driver's that also get screwed.

textat3

I have a great life. Great kids, a secure future and some nice hobbys. The ex and I are still close and she still hooks me up a few times a year.

Whither

Scofflaw
This is a great and well thought out response.

Problem is that it's not, when it comes to actual contract language.

I could explain reasons why when it comes to holiday language and or article 40 language, etc, etc... My point being is you're focusing on a word when you actually haven't realized the complexity of our whole contract.

It's a common mistake. Many members read one paragraph of the contract and think they've found their answer. The problem is that a separate article depending on the language supersedes or changes that language. It's why panels argue interpretations of the contract still to this day.

Let me be clear I think 6 day punches are BS but I also think members cling to language that isn't really there but they think it supports their argument.

Anyways I'm sure I'll be attacked by some whose locals/regions fended off this attack but I'm sure they have other factors that have benefited them.

Either way.. listen to your BA and work first file later. ;)
Excellent points throughout.

I personally haven't listened to my BA re: 6 punches -- "Our hands our tied by bad contractual language (Central supp), work the ones you can, and let them know you're fatigued or have family obligations when you can't." A couple years ago I worked 6 punches close to 4 months straight and it's just no way to live. You feel awful a few weeks, like a zombie. You're also at greater risk of accidents and injuries.

So far, as I had expected, 6 punch discipline has been used only a scare tactic at my building. I know a driver who has had 2 pending terminations over 6 punch occurrences. Yes, not 1 but 2 haha: the first wasn't enough, so they issued him a second a couple months after the first. It's been a few months; the company has failed to pursue either pending term.

I myself got a warning letter and then they were going to give me a second warning letter 7 weeks after the first; so much for progressive discipline lol! I pulled up UPSers, showed the center manager my timecard, and got a couple "late punches" tossed out -- "See, I was on time." So he never issued the warning letter. I kept calling in every Sat right up to peak.

My rationale has been 1) It's a hill worth dying on. Let us remember that UPS made record-shattering profits in 2020. Now consider: the company has raked in more profit in the first 3 quarters of 2021 than it did throughout 2020.

2) They need us as much as ever. Collectively we have plenty of leverage. It doesn't make sense for the company to fire otherwise reliable employees for refusing to show up 6 days a week. That would only aggravate their staffing problem.

3) Contractual support. In the Central, the company would have a panel case -- perhaps stronger than ours -- but I'm not convinced it's a slam dunk. That might be another reason why they haven't tried to "make an example" out of anyone yet. Because, if they lost ... Anyway, here's overlooked language from the infamous Art 22.4b NMA.
Screenshot_20211207-221305_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20211207-221334_Drive.jpg

We certainly have a strong case that the company has failed in its "commitment to protect existing RPCDs from being forced or scheduled to perform weekend delivery work." We can easily demonstrate that the company claims "regular Saturday volume ... consistently requires RPCD drivers [LOL, redundant much?] to work Saturday." Although that last paragraph reads "because of the 25% limit," in my building the company is more often than not well beneath that limit, at times by 20 or more 22.4s. So that would offer additional support that the company has failed to uphold its commitment. The downside is this language leaves 22.4s high and dry.

I'm not sure if panel cases allow "extra-contractual" arguments, but there is also the argument re: injuries, accidents, and danger to public safety. At a rowdy safety meeting I once got a division-level safety manager to volunteer that the company is well aware of these risks, and has the data to show longer hours and 6 day weeks are dangerous.

textat3

she just likes the way I beat her down….no sympathy at all. Sometimes she asks, and I agree, sometimes I ask and she agrees.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How hots the ex

Excellent points throughout.

I personally haven't listened to my BA re: 6 punches -- "Our hands our tied by bad contractual language (Central supp), work the ones you can, and let them know you're fatigued or have family obligations when you can't." A couple years ago I worked 6 punches close to 4 months straight and it's just no way to live. You feel awful a few weeks, like a zombie. You're also at greater risk of accidents and injuries.

So far, as I had expected, 6 punch discipline has been used only a scare tactic at my building. I know a driver who has had 2 pending terminations over 6 punch occurrences. Yes, not 1 but 2 haha: the first wasn't enough, so they issued him a second a couple months after the first. It's been a few months; the company has failed to pursue either pending term.

I myself got a warning letter and then they were going to give me a second warning letter 7 weeks after the first; so much for progressive discipline lol! I pulled up UPSers, showed the center manager my timecard, and got a couple "late punches" tossed out -- "See, I was on time." So he never issued the warning letter. I kept calling in every Sat right up to peak.

My rationale has been 1) It's a hill worth dying on. Let us remember that UPS made record-shattering profits in 2020. Now consider: the company has raked in more profit in the first 3 quarters of 2021 than it did throughout 2020.

2) They need us as much as ever. Collectively we have plenty of leverage. It doesn't make sense for the company to fire otherwise reliable employees for refusing to show up 6 days a week. That would only aggravate their staffing problem.

3) Contractual support. In the Central, the company would have a panel case -- perhaps stronger than ours -- but I'm not convinced it's a slam dunk. That might be another reason why they haven't tried to "make an example" out of anyone yet. Because, if they lost ... Anyway, here's overlooked language from the infamous Art 22.4b NMA. View attachment 362861View attachment 362862

We certainly have a strong case that the company has failed in its "commitment to protect existing RPCDs from being forced or scheduled to perform weekend delivery work." We can easily demonstrate that the company claims "regular Saturday volume ... consistently requires RPCD drivers [LOL, redundant much?] to work Saturday." Although that last paragraph reads "because of the 25% limit," in my building the company is more often than not well beneath that limit, at times by 20 or more 22.4s. So that would offer additional support that the company has failed to uphold its commitment. The downside is this language leaves 22.4s high and dry.

I'm not sure if panel cases allow "extra-contractual" arguments, but there is also the argument re: injuries, accidents, and danger to public safety. At a rowdy safety meeting I once got a division-level safety manager to volunteer that the company is well aware of these risks, and has the data to show longer hours and 6 day weeks are dangerous.
Hopefully we have somebody in the office to address all this BS in the next contract