Sixth working day

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Mr.Blonde, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Mr.Blonde

Mr.Blonde Active Member

Will saturday be considered a sixth working day because of the holiday? Or do you actually have to work for it to be counted as a sixth working?

2. a911scanner

a911scanner Active Member

Should be 6th punch. Holiday is considered a punch.

3. Robretro

Robretro Member

Is it only considered a punch if you have been there a year? (Part time)

4. gorilla75jdw

gorilla75jdw Active Member

Nope , Holiday is not a physical punch . Jeez, sometimes you guys scare me .

5. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

Some locals have it set up where you get time and a half for working any day that is not your regularly scheduled day. Check your supplement and rider, or ask a steward.

6. a911scanner

a911scanner Active Member

In the Central, it counts as a punch.

Labor Day week in 2017, I was working the Saturday ground shift, so Tues- Sat. Asked BA about Monday being paid & if it would count for me to get 1.5 time on Saturday, as I would get paid for 6 days that week. Although it was a new program, so there was not any past president to go by, the BA said "No, you will just get the extra 8 hrs. of holiday pay"

My check for that week which arrived the next Friday had my 8 of holiday pay and 1.5 time for all of Saturday.

Unless payroll made a mistake, the holiday counted as a punch.

7. eats packages

eats packages I have depth perception issues

The language is a little split up but here it goes like this:

If you worked Monday. The regularly scheduled workweek must be 5 consecutive days. (Western)

Since saturday is not your regular schedule, you earn overtime pay (JC37)
    If you worked Tuesday as a T-S then Saturday does not grant overtime pay. Working monday puts you back on a M-F and you again earn OT on saturday.

8. Mr.Blonde

Mr.Blonde Active Member

Ya you wont get paid holidays until your year is up

9. Mr.Blonde

Mr.Blonde Active Member

But is the holiday considered a punch? That was the whole premise of this thread...

10. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

In the Central Region, any compensable time is considered a punch.

Paid holiday, single vacation day, option day, etc.

Tuesday-Saturday is nothing new.

Now, that's odd.... since Saturday was only your 5th day.

You came out ahead.

-Bug-

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

I figured you were asking for OT purposes. I believe insurance purposes they are, probably a local or area dependent issue, though. Are there any other reasons holidays counting as punches would matter?

12. Mr.Blonde

Mr.Blonde Active Member

Yes. If you drive saturday then it would be a sixth working day. Thus time and a half from the moment you punch in.

13. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Sounds like this 6th punch language needs to be cleaned up. It’s not 1980.

14. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

The Central has specific language for it.

Saturday will be all time and a half if you worked Mon-Wed.

If you only worked Tue-Wed, straight time for Saturday.

Article 12

Section 8

In a scheduled workweek in which there is a paid holiday, the guaranteed workweek shall be thirty-two (32) hours; in any scheduled workweek in which there are two (2) paid holidays, the guaranteed workweek shall be twenty-four (24) hours, etc. For hours worked in excess of thirty-two (32) or twenty-four (24) hours in a week, as applicable, an employee shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) time the regular straight-time rate, provided the holiday or holidays fall within the scheduled workweek.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List