Sixth working day

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Will saturday be considered a sixth working day because of the holiday? Or do you actually have to work for it to be counted as a sixth working?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Will saturday be considered a sixth working day because of the holiday? Or do you actually have to work for it to be counted as a sixth working?

Some locals have it set up where you get time and a half for working any day that is not your regularly scheduled day. Check your supplement and rider, or ask a steward.

a911scanner

Nope , Holiday is not a physical punch . Jeez, sometimes you guys scare me .

In the Central, it counts as a punch.

Labor Day week in 2017, I was working the Saturday ground shift, so Tues- Sat. Asked BA about Monday being paid & if it would count for me to get 1.5 time on Saturday, as I would get paid for 6 days that week. Although it was a new program, so there was not any past president to go by, the BA said "No, you will just get the extra 8 hrs. of holiday pay"

My check for that week which arrived the next Friday had my 8 of holiday pay and 1.5 time for all of Saturday.

Unless payroll made a mistake, the holiday counted as a punch.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Some locals have it set up where you get time and a half for working any day that is not your regularly scheduled day. Check your supplement and rider, or ask a steward.
The language is a little split up but here it goes like this:

If you worked Monday. The regularly scheduled workweek must be 5 consecutive days. (Western)

Since saturday is not your regular schedule, you earn overtime pay (JC37)
If you worked Tuesday as a T-S then Saturday does not grant overtime pay. Working monday puts you back on a M-friend and you again earn OT on saturday.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
The language is a little split up but here it goes like this:

If you worked Monday. The regularly scheduled workweek must be 5 consecutive days. (Western)

Since saturday is not your regular schedule, you earn overtime pay (JC37)
If you worked Tuesday as a T-S then Saturday does not grant overtime pay. Working monday puts you back on a M-friend and you again earn OT on saturday.

But is the holiday considered a punch? That was the whole premise of this thread...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In the Central, it counts as a punch.

In the Central Region, any compensable time is considered a punch.

Paid holiday, single vacation day, option day, etc.

Although it was a new program, so there was not any past precedent to go by

Tuesday-Saturday is nothing new.

My check for that week which arrived the next Friday had my 8 of holiday pay and 1.5 time for all of Saturday.

Now, that's odd.... since Saturday was only your 5th day.

You came out ahead.

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But is the holiday considered a punch? That was the whole premise of this thread...

I figured you were asking for OT purposes. I believe insurance purposes they are, probably a local or area dependent issue, though. Are there any other reasons holidays counting as punches would matter?

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
I figured you were asking for OT purposes. I believe insurance purposes they are, probably a local or area dependent issue, though. Are there any other reasons holidays counting as punches would matter?

Yes. If you drive saturday then it would be a sixth working day. Thus time and a half from the moment you punch in.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The Central has specific language for it.

Saturday will be all time and a half if you worked Mon-Wed.

If you only worked Tue-Wed, straight time for Saturday.

Article 12

Section 8

In a scheduled workweek in which there is a paid holiday, the guaranteed workweek shall be thirty-two (32) hours; in any scheduled workweek in which there are two (2) paid holidays, the guaranteed workweek shall be twenty-four (24) hours, etc. For hours worked in excess of thirty-two (32) or twenty-four (24) hours in a week, as applicable, an employee shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half (1 1/2) time the regular straight-time rate, provided the holiday or holidays fall within the scheduled workweek.