Slip Slidin' Away

wkmac

tieguy said:
After carefull consideration I think I would tend to disagree with your answer due to the terrorist providing a recent and continuing threat to my life and way of life. Fear what you will , be wary as always but the government has not threatened me. I do however; not believe we should continue with the patriot act forever. I think I would equate the solution to government at times being forced to impose martial law to restore order in cases of civil unrest. I recognize that martial law may need to be imposed but I would not agree with it continuing indefinitely. At some point we have to come up with other less intrusive means to maintain our security.

I understand and respect where and where not you place your fears. We all make judgements based on what we see and know which sometimes that is all we can do. As for the Patriot Act I do see one quality in it that does give me some hope and that is the gov't made the act a temporary measure that needs constant re-approval to continue. Had they passed a measure of that magnitude that was never-ending I would be gravely concerned.

Personally I see little if any difference in GW or Kerry or Gore and I respect you'd vehemently disagree and from your perspective I would too most likely. From a funny point of view, that very point is likely where you, dboy, susie, OK and several others would agree to disagree with me so see, I'm the one who will unite you all in purpose! :tongue_sm I could be wrong on that be it's a somewhat loose observation of points expressed by the parties mentioned.

However, concerning our gov't and allowing broad powers now to a President you like and believe in, he will leave office in just over 3 years and let's say from your perspective Hillary Clinton were elected to the office of President. Now you've allowed all these precidents to be set during the GW years and now the most feared woman the republicans have ever had assumes the highest office in the land. How do you feel now? We have to be very careful what we allow our gov't to do in the name of goodwill and security becuase you never know who the leader down the line will be or what they will do. For the record, Hillary has her agenda and that's a fact but whether she is the anti-christ that some portray I don't think that will come about. Her first couple of years in the White House she was hell on wheels but since then and having been elected Senator she's learned how to play the political game of Washington and will likely rule moreso with a soft leather glove than an iron fist. But don't cross her as she can wieled the iron fist!:lol: Love her or hate her, I still think she's smart and very savy politically speaking but politically she and I are on in different universes but the same could be said of GW and I too so there you go!

In the last year when her and Newt Gringrich stood together agreeing on many concerns that relate to medical care etc. that was very telling IMO on both these individuals. BTW: Newt was the congressman for my area and I never voted for him because I've never trusted him and still don't. Thank you to the late Larry McDonald for opening my eyes to the young upstart Newt back in the late 70's.

Lastly Tie, let me say this about gov't having done nothing to you. I'm sure from your perspective that is very true "BUT" spend one month with me and go with me to the law library to read court cases dating back to the early 1800's and some further or go with me to the various federal agencies which also all have in-house libraries that by law are open to the public including the IRS and do some reading concerning admistrative rules and policy as well as law. Also read the Statues-At-Large and the Federal Register and the entire Federal level adminstrative process. Did you know for example that the President can post a law, any law he likes or for that fact any federal agency can post a law via a certain process and never touch Congress at all and unless Congress objects within 30 days the posting becomes law with just as much validity as if it went through the Congress? Oh yes and there are 1000's and 1000's of laws on the books that got there via this process and it's the Federal Register that is the vehicle. What about international treaties? Did you know for example that now the requirement for children at birth the get SS numbers came about via NAFTA. You see varying US laws prevented this requirement from being mandated but treaty law supercedes any domestic law we have and that is Constitutuional. Our gov't time and time again in huge numbers of areas have gotten around domestic law by entering an international treaties that circumvents that hold up. Tie, just the treaty law alone would bust your bubble and you can bank on it! You know why the Supreme Court has been looking at international law of recent much to the screams and howls of some rightwing groups? HINT! HINT! DUH! Because the very issue of the case has it's foundation and basis in international law. The court is reviewing the matter of record and it's basis as it should. They've been looking at international law for years as a matter of fact.

Tie, spend a month with me and I'll guarantee you that at the end of that month you many not be out of that comfort house but you'll see many cracks in the walls and ceiling.

Hey if I haven't told ya, hope you and the family are having some wonderful holidays. I'm off today to go to my daughters guitar recital tonight so you guys hold down the fort!:wink:

susiedriver

dannyboy said:
You know, Susie you hit on something here too. And it does not have to be the people in charge. I have seen changes to this site, many of which are really not all that good because of some people (not those in charge) not playing by the rules.

As for you defending or not your posts, It was just a question to you for your thoughts. If you have no thoughts on the matter, say so. Or if you cant think of an intelligent response say so. But you don't have to be an ass when someone asks you for your opinion (not links to others opinion).
I was really interested where your thoughts were coming from when you posted what you did.

BTW, those that do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat the past. Not my quote, but true none the less.

d

Danny, I have no problem defending my post. You seem to show up like a pup to tie's side, looking to bite at whatever you perceive to be a threat. If my next post to tie doesn't answer your question. let me know and I'll try to put it in other words for you. I have always answered your questions, to the point of tedium, at times.

I am a student of history, and would agree that those who don't learn by it are condemned to repeat it. That's what I see happening in America today

BTW, I'm a brunette, and told that I'm quite attractive. I'm not into bondage; I have a normal, healthy sex life. Hope that answers wily's questions as well.

susiedriver

I would believe that would be one hell of a stretch to equate the polarization of red states and blue states in this country to a fascist renewal. You are really reaching now in order to continue supporting your ill thought out position.

Who said anything about red & blue states equating to Fascism? Read Griffins thesis. The whole thing, not just the tiny bit you linked to.

I don't believe that either germany or italy had a well established political system that separated(sp) the powers prior to their conversion. I'm sure you could find many other differences between our country and theirs if you chose to.

You keep insisting that the separation of powers that was intended in our constitution is still operable today, I contend that the separation is non-existent. The Supreme Court put the present President in office, in spite of the results of the election, and he ignores the laws set forth by the legislative branch. I think this is not what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

Then your point would have to be that all corporatism is fascism? I would think Mussolini ending up at the end of a noose in the town square of Milan may indicate that he was not always right on the issues of his day?

When corporations make the laws in their favor and the government reinforces those laws (tort reform, for example), I would argue that the State and the Corporation exist to each others mutual benefit. This, once again, is not what the Founding Fathers had in mind. Perhaps Mussolinis fate will be shared by those who have hijacked our once proud Republic.

and your point would be that they would have stayed in jail longer if George had not thought he was above the law?

This issue is an interesting one. The question I have for your susie are you prepared to die at the hands of these terrorists in order to ensure their civil rights?

My point is that is king George would have played by the rules of law, perhaps we could lock up these people up for the rest of their lives.

You ask the wrong question. The proper question should be are you willing to give up your freedoms in order that enemies of the state be incarcerated? My feelings can be summed up by the quote of Patrick Henry: Give me Liberty or give me death; or as Gen. Stark said: Live Free or Die!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The Supreme Court put the present President in office, in spite of the results of the election, and he ignores the laws set forth by the legislative branch.

Sorry, Cant accept your statement as fact. What they did was uphold the law. A fact that neither you or Al can handle.

Shoot, didnt give a flying darn about your sex life, but I was hoping you would be at least auburn?

d

susiedriver

dannyboy said:
Sorry, Cant accept your statement as fact. What they did was uphold the law. A fact that neither you or Al can handle.

Shoot, didnt give a flying darn about your sex life, but I was hoping you would be at least auburn?

d

The personal remarks were meant for wily and tie, who seem to have a prurient interest.

If all the votes in FL were counted, we would not have GWB in the White House today. That's a fact.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yes ma am, I know that. But dead people and convicted felons are not supose to vote. But I guess you forgot? So if they cant vote, why count their votes?

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Oh but they do. And many of them are illegal aliens. And to the best of my recollection, they are not legally able to vote either, but it would seem they did. So why count all the votes if the people voting can not legally vote?

d

susiedriver

danny,

back up your bull with facts.

Start at Wiki. It is as good as you're going to get on short notice. I'll start you out:

The only reliable measure of accuracy of the felon list comes from Leon County (Tallahassee), whose in-house experts checked each name in their county one by one. Out of the 694 named felons in Tallahassee, they could verify only 34 of them, or 5%. Statistically, this sample tells us that there is a more than 99% chance that at least 90.2% of those listed as felons in the 2000 Florida Central Voter File were, in fact, eligible voters.

You are full of it, and in your heart you know it. Why don't you just relish the fact that you have your boy in charge of the whole mess. It is a mess, and made by him. My children are suffering for it, and yours too, if you have any of your own.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Oh susie, you are so negative. I could not handle the gloom and dispair everyday that you seem stuck with.

I wish there were a way I could help you.

Best Regards

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Nope the law. Each vote that was legit was counted. And they were recounted. And for better or worse, W came out ahead. Accept that. It will make life much easier

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Actually she is using a term as offensive to the German people as N***r is to the black population. And since I have been very public about being an immigrant from Germany, I can only believe that she is trying to negatively impact my attitude on this site and call me names.

I hope Susie leaves it alone so every one else can see, deleting it will not solve the problem.

But she does not have that kind of control. Not over me or anyone else, with the exception of her loving husband.

It is just another attempt to raise hell on the board without contributing anything worth while. Shame and waste.

d

wkmac

There is an organization out there called "Project For The New American Century" and many of it's leaders are well known names in shaping US Foreign policy regarding the Bush Adminstration especially concerning Iraq. At the link below are articles and various Congressional testimony dated from 2000' back which is prior to Bush taking office and the events of 9/11. I have only read some of them but I thought I'd pass them on to the group for all to read. Could prove worthwhile providing insight into future policy positions we now see in full song. Hope you find them worthwhile.

tieguy

Banned
This thread has apparently served its purpose. Susie starts a thread to make a point and then vacates without defending the point. She then attemtps to distract by moving on to the next volatile point which appears to be her the Iran thread.