Small FedEx Cars

MassWineGuy

I think I heard somewhere that DOT hours don't apply to the small vans. Is that true?

True. Any vehicle under 10,000 lbs is DOT exempt. or so I hear. Some say FedEx is trying to have fewer DOT drivers. I haven't seen this at my station.

As for trucks, we use plenty, as well as vans, Sprinters, etc. Our 900s are the same as the really large pkg cars (24 feet or so). And we haul a lot of big stuff. When I'm off loading at night I'm always amazed by the size and weight of some shipments. It's got to cost a fortune to ship these by air. But then, that's my paycheck.

dezguy

I thought that FedEx ground (not express) required their independent contractor drivers (indentured servants) to pay for their own trucks. I noticed a Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal decision maintaining that the ground drivers were indeed employees and not independent contractors as FedEx maintained...

http://fleetowner.com/blog/what-can-be-learned-fedex-ground-s-independent-contractor-model
They do but the original question was whether Express trucks were company property or owned by the driver.