Smalls

oldngray

nowhere special
Yep. They upgraded our small sort last October. The new definition is something in the area of 16 x 16 x 6 or something like that. Pretty big for a small.

Before that, the definition we were told to abide by was "if handling the package requires only one hand."
s-l300.jpg

Mr. Marshall

They have started building the second floor smalls thing at our hub which is going to pretty much eliminate about half the small sort jobs meaning that pretty much all part-timers are going to be going into the operation (the combos will still work the small sort) and the part-timers are losing their minds. It ought to be fun when 25 + years, very entitled, and very fat woman are told to load :)

km3

They have started building the second floor smalls thing at our hub which is going to pretty much eliminate about half the small sort jobs meaning that pretty much all part-timers are going to be going into the operation (the combos will still work the small sort) and the part-timers are losing their minds. It ought to be fun when 25 + years, very entitled, and very fat woman are told to load :)

I wouldn't panic yet. When they upgraded us to the tilt tray or whatever it's called, they actually managed to create more jobs up there. Granted, I'm sure they were aiming for the opposite. But it is what it is.

Oak

A couple years ago I asked a local sort sup for a written description. Came up with a page that is titled, "Smalls Are Huge!" I laminated it and posted it on the wall in the smalls area.

16" x 16" x 7" and smaller, 8 pounds and less.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
A couple years ago I asked a local sort sup for a written description. Came up with a page that is titled, "Smalls Are Huge!" I laminated it and posted it on the wall in the smalls area.

I remember those! They had these sheets posted in the bathrooms when I first started. Someone must have had a healthy sense of humor.

TheFigurehead

Yeah, they do this at my hub too. It's ridiculous. You can fit about 3 in a tote and one or two in a bag. No one follows this guideline, though, regardless of what management wants, and the pt supes look the other way. You literally end up with 1/2 to 2/3 of a truck needing to be toted... whole trucks in some cases... and no one is going to take the time to do that. The pt supes would be out of jobs because they'd never get their work done on time. UPS is just trying to justify the millions of dollars they spend on their useless automated small sort equipment.