Smalls

oldngray

nowhere special
Management has no idea they make us bag whatever they see fit too meet there number

They figure it will save time and cut jobs in the unload if everything is containerized, and since there is no time allowance for the drivers they would have to eat that time.

Get paid by the hour baby!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
When our building was automated we were told at least 50% of all packages needed to run through smalls for it to run smoothly. I think some nights they come close to 60% of all volume going through the tilt tray sorter.

I've had to bag a few times and I'm telling you it sucks. I had over 400 bags come off the machine and was only watching maybe 14 stations.

Loading is a breeze, no longer have to scan packages. I would load over smalls any day if offered.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They figure it will save time and cut jobs in the unload if everything is containerized, and since there is no time allowance for the drivers they would have to eat that time.

Get paid by the hour baby!

I average 3-4 forever bags of smalls everyday. I have several pickup customers, most notably the UPS Store, who bag their smalls for me. Doesn't take that much more time to bag smalls and it does help to make the small sorts run more efficiently.

TheFigurehead

When our building was automated we were told at least 50% of all packages needed to run through smalls for it to run smoothly. I think some nights they come close to 60% of all volume going through the tilt tray sorter.

Yep... but what they never took into account is the fact that it takes 2 - 3x as much time to tote all the smalls. I am fully aware that maybe it's only my hub that works this way, but we are instructed to unload the trailers and put the smalls on the side and tote them last (leaving absolutely no egress, of course, but, hey, safety first, right?). When automation first started there were a large number of people they made "sweepers" who were supposed to come into the trailer and tote all the smalls, etc... but we have zero of them now. The few people left who are "sweepers" strictly clear the bulk slides (and even then, we don't have enough to keep up with the volume of bulk we unload). They have no plans to reinstate the sweepers... so once you unload the truck, you then have to go back and tote the other 50% of the truck you piled on the sides. As I said previously, in some loads it's nearly the entire truck. You can try to do it as you go, but there isn't room in the trailer to stash the 20 - 30 totes you would need to do it...

It's a terrible system, and, again, as I said, it doesn't get done. The automated sorting system makes no distinction between smalls and normal sized packages, so they just get sent up. As with everything else at UPS, they want everything done a certain way, but fail to provide the tools, time, or people to get it done. Stacking the smalls along the side of the truck is clearly a safety issue, but they don't care (obviously, but we work as directed), and somehow we've gone over a year without any sort of outside audit. I suspect they'll be in for a surprise if they ever do get audited.

Again, like I said... perhaps we just have terrible management who is trying to save a buck in order to get a bigger bonus, or promoted... but I get the feeling Atlanta just didn't like having to pay extra people to do it right. Their automated system was supposed to "save money" by eliminating the sorters, but like everything else UPS does, it is far less efficient than the old way. Instead of being able to cut staff thanks to automation, we actually have to employ more people than we had previously (not even counting the "sweepers" we don't have). That's not even taking into account the constant belt stoppages, the system going down, and, for some reason "needing" twice as many supervisors for some reason. We work more hours with more people to take care of the same volume.

This company seems determined to do everything it can to run less efficiently, and accomplish less at a higher cost. I swear to god, if UPS didn't have 100 years of good will with the public built up (which it is squandering as fast as it can), we'd be out of business by now. I honestly don't see UPS being in business in 20 years (unless some drastic changes are made)... and I cannot blame companies like amazon for doing everything they can to make themselves independent from the sinking ship that is this company.

Ghost in the Darkness

I don't know, 5 billion in profits/year and a large portion of the workforce that thinks its a charity on a daily basis seems to counter act all the mismanagement.