Smoking in package cars

upsman68

How do you feel about drivers smoking in package cars.

I am not a smoker and I can't stand it.

Sometimes they switch my car out and I get a car that a driver smokes in.

It smells and I go home smelling like smoke.

Just my opinion

rod

Retired 22 years
Thats nothing. Wait til you get one that has been driven by a sunflower seed chewing, tobacco spitting, peeing in a pop bottle driver.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I don't think it should be allowed. It's too risky in the package compartment and we are not to smoke in front of the customer. I am visible to customers and potential customers while I am driving. Plus ALL of my attention should be on driving.

When I was a temp driver I got a car that the previous driver had peed in a rain bag and left it on a shelf. The preloader loaded on top of it and the bag metled during the day. That makes my top 5 list for the worst days I have ever had while working.

I hate to get a car after someone with a smelly butt. I sit on a towel.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
What's worse is when the jackwagon ashes all over the console and the beverage holder. In older cars, you can usually see where the smoker would leave is cigarette while he was making a delivery/pickup. You can find the brown melted spot pretty easily.

outta hours

It is 10 times worse to be in the tractor of a smoker. Ashes everywhere, nicotine stains on the steering wheel,shifter,brake/air buttons, etc. I avoid driving them if possible. But if I have to ,I always take 10 min to clean up as much as I can. But Clorox wipes and Febreze can only do so much.

Nimnim

The Nim
Considering the fact that lots of our package cars are brand new and not from the 80s and 90s, it's amazing there's even evidence of such an uncool and socially unacceptable habit.
70bff581.gif

Did I get that sarcasm thing right? Anyways, smoking in a work vehicle shouldn't be done, but it does and will happen, especially for those smokers during that boring 1 hour lunch break on cold days.

over9five

Staff member
Some states don`t allow it. It`s considered a workplace and falls under the law the same as a building.

In Massachusetts you can't smoke in any company vehicle that is shared with another person. Of course, this means every UPS vehicle.

AND this law is completely ignored at UPS. I do know some drivers who will refuse to drive a vehicle assigned to a smoker. Love to see that happen in Package! Can you imagine some cover driver saying, "Nope, unload it. It stinks!"??

I imagine this will become less and less of a problem over time as smokers die off from their health problems.

tracker2762

Nothing like turning the heater on after a smoker has been smoking and getting ashes blown in your face.
It's disgusting and opening the door doesn't help to get rid of smell. I also can't stand that a Saturday air driver can use a pc for three hours and I have to smell the stench of his disgusting habit for days. That's why on Mondays I wash the inside cab- the steering wheel, knobs, keys, hand brake, handles, etc. Anything that gets touched by their stinky hands.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In Massachusetts you can't smoke in any company vehicle that is shared with another person. Of course, this means every UPS vehicle.

AND this law is completely ignored at UPS. I do know some drivers who will refuse to drive a vehicle assigned to a smoker. Love to see that happen in Package! Can you imagine some cover driver saying, "Nope, unload it. It stinks!"??

I imagine this will become less and less of a problem over time as smokers die off from their health problems.

I'll let you know how it goes the next time my truck is in the shop for PMI.
I inevitably end with a spare that is an ashtray on wheels.

I'll let you know how it goes the next time my truck is in the shop for PMI.
I inevitably end with a spare that is an ashtray on wheels.

Do like we do. Bring it to the attention of management that the vehicle needs to be cleaned after you pretrip it and take 20 min or so to wipe every thing down before you go.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't smoke and fortunately no one that covers my trip smokes. Luckily we hardly have any smokers at all in our center so it's not much to worry about here anymore.

JustTired

free at last.......
How about the runners who leave chicken bones and empty potato chip bags everywhere? Not to mention a greasy steering wheel. How do they not have an accident eating on the run and trying to turn a greasy steering wheel?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is now illegal in Oregon to smoke in a company vehicle and the company has been vigorously enforcing the rule. I am glad, although I do feel sorry for the feeder drivers who smoke since they cant just pull over any time they want.

I do think that the current campaign being waged against smokers has gone far enough. I dont smoke and I hate the smell, but we are supposed to live in a free country and smokers have become a convenient minority to target for additional tax revenue since they lack the votes to protect themselves.

There is also a new law here in Oregon that even prohibits smoking in bars and taverns. All the bars around here have set up outdoor canopies or covered areas where the smokers have to go. It doesnt affect me either way since I dont smoke or go to bars, but there is an element of the Big Brother "nanny state" mentality that I find a bit disturbing. At some point I think you have to let adults make choices for themselves and I think it should be up to the tavern owner to decide for himself whether or not he wants to allow smoking in his establishment.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Smoking is a disgusting habit that even smokers I'm sure will agree with. Fortunately no cover drivers that know my route smoke, but I agree that it should be prohibited to smoke in company vehicles. I do agree with the concept of civil liberties, however non-smokers have rights as well.

What really gets me are all the sunflower seeds and their shells you can find in the cars. Really is it that hard to spit out of the door. I don't know for sure but the opening is like 4 feet by 7 feet. If thats not a big enough opening for you to make, then maybe you shouldn't be chewing on anything out of fear that you will choke to death.