So called "right to work"

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Rather than attack RTW, what's being done to really educate the ignorant about why they should join a union?

I've always felt RTW laws, while maybe designed to bust unions or at least weaken them, don't HAVE to be effective, and if they are a large part has to do with the union. A better job must be done of advertising and getting out there what unions are about.

I've seen instances where someone might come on this board looking for something union- or contract-related about their particular hub, and they'll get a gruff reply somewhat along the lines of, 'Take an interest in your job! Man up, and find your Stewart! It's YOUR responsibility!' For better or for worse, attitudes like that are why unions are no longer as popular. If I was a Stewart, if I am not personally able to greet new hires, I'm organizing a team of like-minded individuals to get in the face of every new person in the hub, bring the information to them, and help them see the relevance and importance of the union today. Don't wait for them to come to you, but go to them.

Inthegame

Rather than attack RTW, what's being done to really educate the ignorant about why they should join a union?

I've always felt RTW laws, while maybe designed to bust unions or at least weaken them, don't HAVE to be effective, and if they are a large part has to do with the union. A better job must be done of advertising and getting out there what unions are about.

I've seen instances where someone might come on this board looking for something union- or contract-related about their particular hub, and they'll get a gruff reply somewhat along the lines of, 'Take an interest in your job! Man up, and find your Stewart! It's YOUR responsibility!' For better or for worse, attitudes like that are why unions are no longer as popular. If I was a Stewart, if I am not personally able to greet new hires, I'm organizing a team of like-minded individuals to get in the face of every new person in the hub, bring the information to them, and help them see the relevance and importance of the union today. Don't wait for them to come to you, but go to them.
One doesn't need to be a steward to be an advocate.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is this something that is stated in the contract... This particular issue??

ARTICLE 19. POSTING

The Employer agrees to supply and provide suitable space for the Union bulletin board in each center, hub, or place of work. Postings by the Union on such board are to be confined to official business of the Union and on the Union’s official letterhead or TITANS.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

It's relative business of the Union, and not disparaging to the company.

-Bug-

rod

Retired 22 years
I see after this last election there are now 27 States with Right to Work legislation on the books. The writing is on the wall.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
People keep voting in politicians who want the unions gone, and members keep on drinking the kool-aid. It's a sad commentary. Both parties at one time our another have been union friendly. Now, neither one is doing what they need to to help the middle class.