So I quit UPS a couple weeks ago...

barnyard

KTM rider
Call back and ask for $15/hr or $20/hr and you'll consider coming back. Nothing to lose, right?

I would tell them that you would come back if they start the insurance benefits in 30 days. If they say yes, get it in writing.

UPS can pay more than the contract. The contract is just the minimum that they have to follow. You may get something if you ask.

Jigawatts

When I started the $8.50 pay wasn't bad considering the benefits and the thought of making great money driving in 5-7 years. Now, $8.50 with no health coverage for a year, a ridiculous wait to become full time, constant harassment, blah blah blah. Management or hourly, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would try to begin a career at UPS. I continue to grind because I make decent money and could care less about all the b.s. that goes along with the job, but there's no way I would do it again if I knew what I know now.

I really feel for the new hires walking through that revolving door.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When I started the $8.50 pay wasn't bad considering the benefits and the thought of making great money driving in 5-7 years. Now, $8.50 with no health coverage for a year, a ridiculous wait to become full time, constant harassment, blah blah blah. Management or hourly, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would try to begin a career at UPS. I continue to grind because I make decent money and could care less about all the b.s. that goes along with the job, but there's no way I would do it again if I knew what I know now.

I really feel for the new hires walking through that revolving door.
I've heard it's the nurturing atmosphere that brings them in.

brownrod

Start at 8.50
First raise after you make seniority is a dollar? right? so there is 9.50.
Become a sorter and there is another dollar raise.
Then at the one year mark you get another raise.
At one year you could be making around 11.00$ per hour with full health benefits. And the opportunity to to drive which pays 32$ an hour.

I loved part time UPS. There was plenty of BS but the hours and money were great for me back then! Wish I stayed part time. I'd be a shifter and saturday air guy and I'd be making around 40k per year for a part time job.

This job does not have to destroy your body. You need to learn how to work smart. This job can build you up. If the job is too demanding for you then try to work a little slower and more deliberately.

rocket man

Dont go back. There are hundreds of people who want that job. know matter how much it sucks . its time to get off this site. as peter gabriel says in one of his SONG,S NO YOUR NOT ONE OF US)

BigBeef42

I too feel for the new hires. They are uncoordinated and hard working. Bless them.

If you need the benefits then go back. I know a ton of people that would kill to have the benefits I have. A lot of guys are able to bare with a part-time gig at UPS and hold down a 2nd job. They stay at UPS for the benefits not the pay.

When (If) you go back, earn your senority, and do the bare minimum from then on. Do what is asked of you. For everything else, do the bare minimum. You are not obligated to wreck your body for the sake of any supe. Look around, doing the bare minimum is the norm, it's what everyone else does. I like to work hard, my back sucks, but I still do it.

Travis

From what I had heard they usually blacklist you however lately this year I have seen a lot of people come in as new hires, leave, and then comeback within a few months time. The $8.50 an hours sucks especially if you are stuck loading boxes in a trailer every night. Fortunately I was one of the luckier ones and jumped straight into sort out which came with an automatic raise. If you do end up going back, do your six months and put your name in for a transfer to an easier area (like sort out - hence the raise), and if you think you'll you have an "extended" time of staying there, might as well put your name on the list for a combo job or driver job even though the waiting list is like 10 years long (literally).