So it has come to this...

MAKAVELI

Extended droughts, added to water being forced into the pacific, and humans trying to live in what was, in it's natural state a desert. I lived in SoCal brother and understand Corona California in it's natural state is desert. I get it. Where humans live, get rid of the fuel.
Water isn't being forced into the Pacific. Just another ignorant argument by your POTUS.

clipperman

So you don't have answer. Got it.
Have you witnessed how a fire burns through an area that’s been selectively logged versus an overgrown forest? Fires have been a part of the landscape for hundreds of years and no matter of environmental protections is going to change that,so why not try and take steps to mitigate the impact of the fires. You don’t have to log an entire mountain range to reduce the fire hazard,a patchwork of old growth and logged areas makes fighting the fires much easier

MAKAVELI

Have you witnessed how a fire burns through an area that’s been selectively logged versus an overgrown forest? Fires have been a part of the landscape for hundreds of years and no matter of environmental protections is going to change that,so why not try and take steps to mitigate the impact of the fires. You don’t have to log an entire mountain range to reduce the fire hazard,a patchwork of old growth and logged areas makes fighting the fires much easier
You know how a lot of fires are started? Human activity. All it takes is a spark and the winds will make the fire explode in size. Fire season is almost year round in CA. There is simply too much risk, not enough man power to clear every bit of old growth. The problem is not the wildfires in general as it is nature's way of clearing old growth and germination of seedlings. It's how the climate has now making them explode in size and speed making them unmanageable pushing them into suburban areas.

clipperman

You know how a lot of fires are started? Human activity. All it takes is a spark and the winds will make the fire explode in size. Fire season is almost year round in CA. There is simply too much risk, not enough man power to clear every bit of old growth. The problem is not the wildfires in general as it is nature's way of clearing old growth and germination of seedlings. It's how the climate has now making them explode in size and speed making them unmanageable pushing them into suburban areas.
Most fires where I’m at are caused by lighting,and of course the idiots throwing cigarettes out the window,and yes clearing old growth and germinating seedlings for new growth is a natural process of wildfire,but the same thing can be achieved by logging an area and broadcast burning afterwards,at a much reduced cost to the taxpayer,mab its mostly brush fires where you are and I don’t know there’s a common sense way to reduce the fire danger in that kind of environment

MAKAVELI

Most fires where I’m at are caused by lighting,and of course the idiots throwing cigarettes out the window,and yes clearing old growth and germinating seedlings for new growth is a natural process of wildfire,but the same thing can be achieved by logging an area and broadcast burning afterwards,at a much reduced cost to the taxpayer,mab its mostly brush fires where you are and I don’t know there’s a common sense way to reduce the fire danger in that kind of environment
Most fires in CA are started by humans. They now tell people in high fire danger areas if they haven't cleared their property by the start of fire season, don't. The spark from a mower hitting a rock can start a fire that will explode in size.

clipperman

Most fires in CA are started by humans. They now tell people in high fire danger areas if they haven't cleared their property by the start of fire season, don't. The spark from a mower hitting a rock can start a fire that will explode in size.
And yet more and more people in those areas and timbered areas are building in areas so tight the contractor has to nearly pack the 2x4’s in to build the damn house,and refuse to cut down so much as one sapling in effort to protect their home from the possibility of a wildfire

MAKAVELI

And yet more and more people in those areas and timbered areas are building in areas so tight the contractor has to nearly pack the 2x4’s in to build the damn house,and refuse to cut down so much as one sapling in effort to protect their home from the possibility of a wildfire
I don't know where you are but out here they build them tight to maximize profit.

clipperman

I don't know where you are but out here they build them tight to maximize profit.
They build them as far apart as they can here and as far away from the neighbor as they can afford,I have gone in and done some fire reduction in some peoples places and can’t figure out how they built the place when there trees within 5 feet of every corner of the home,I get wanting some peace and solitude but,again,you don’t have to cut down all the brush and all the trees to reduce the fire hazard,but when your roof has a foot thick layer of pine needles on it maybe you should consider some preventative maintenance

MAKAVELI

They build them as far apart as they can here and as far away from the neighbor as they can afford,I have gone in and done some fire reduction in some peoples places and can’t figure out how they built the place when there trees within 5 feet of every corner of the home,I get wanting some peace and solitude but,again,you don’t have to cut down all the brush and all the trees to reduce the fire hazard,but when your roof has a foot thick layer of pine needles on it maybe you should consider some preventative maintenance
Land is so expensive here they build as many as they can in suburban subdivisions. The developer will usually make deals with the county to either relocate and plant new trees.

clipperman

Land is so expensive here they build as many as they can in suburban subdivisions. The developer will usually make deals with the county to either relocate and plant new trees.
Do they plant the trees in the subdivision? And do they make them replace an amount equal to what’s removed?
That reminds of a program the forest service used to have around here,they would pay seasonals to go around in some areas and jam dead chunks of wood in the ground,usually 10 to 20 feet tall for habitat for birds and squirrels or whatever,one wind storm would usually knock them down and then the guys that burned firewood in the winter would end up sawing them up and packing them home for firewood,ha!

MAKAVELI

Do they plant the trees in the subdivision? And do they make them replace an amount equal to what’s removed?
That reminds of a program the forest service used to have around here,they would pay seasonals to go around in some areas and jam dead chunks of wood in the ground,usually 10 to 20 feet tall for habitat for birds and squirrels or whatever,one wind storm would usually knock them down and then the guys that burned firewood in the winter would end up sawing them up and packing them home for firewood,ha!
It depends on the county and what they require. Some are planted in the subdivision and some counties require open spaces for natural park use.

vantexan

It's a global phenomenon. You want to explain why fires are increasing in areas that don't have the environmental protections that CA has?
How climate change is increasing forest fires around the world | DW | 19.06.2017
The Federal government due to lawsuits from environmentalists weren't allowing small fires to burn out on Federal land. Instead fuel i.e. downed branches, etc were allowed to build up because environmentalists wanted pristine forests, not burned forests. So now you have super fires that are hard to contain. Unintended consequences from well intentioned people who don't think things through. And of course blame climate change for the big fires.

MAKAVELI

The Federal government due to lawsuits from environmentalists weren't allowing small fires to burn out on Federal land. Instead fuel i.e. downed branches, etc were allowed to build up because environmentalists wanted pristine forests, not burned forests. So now you have super fires that are hard to contain. Unintended consequences from well intentioned people who don't think things through. And of course blame climate change for the big fires.
They let fires burn out on federal land because they know it's a natural process. No amount of human clearing can do what nature does. Something I would think someone with Native American heritage to understand.