Some Unlucky Students Must Retake SAT's After Papers Fly Out Of UPS Truck

wilberforce15

We had a shipment of advanced placement tests break open all through over goods. Every subject imaginable.

I could have retired on what those would have sold for in the black market. Rich parents of overperforming students would have paid thousands of dollars each.

I wanted to show up in richville with a trench coat and a bunch of advanced placement tests stuffed in side.

Its_a_me

delete if already posted.
havent visited in days.

I would mind retaking the SAT's. I did as a senior and scored higher
Unless, the company that administers the test waives the fee, they won't get to retake the SAT's (unless their parents pay for it) as they are being given the option to retest with the ACT. The school district announced as such:

The school district added that students whose tests were lost will be able to take the ACT, a different standardized test that's also used in college admissions, on Dec. 10 at no cost. Further updates will be provides by the school district and the College Board, officials said.

but even that screws the kids as universities early application deadlines are typically Nov - Dec 1st)....and a nice talking point for execs to point to why hiring more workers isn't the solution in a contract year.

wilberforce15

Unless, the company that administers the test waives the fee, they won't get to retake the SAT's (unless their parents pay for it) as they are being given the option to retest with the ACT. The school district announced as such:

but even that screws the kids as universities early application deadlines are typically Nov - Dec 1st)....and a nice talking point for execs to point to why hiring more workers isn't the solution in a contract year.
Most schools now have the option to apply without standardized test scores. And they promise that you are not at a disadvantage for not submitting them. That's because these tests are now considered racist, anyway.

Its_a_me

Most schools now have the option to apply without standardized test scores. And they promise that you are not at a disadvantage for not submitting them. That's because these tests are now considered racist, anyway.

There a few schools that did it because students have dealt with covid-19:

MIT did it for 2020 and 2021 only. They announced it was back on for 2022 admissions.

the list that I see of colleges people heard of is: American University, Arizona State University, Columbia, Cornell, University of California, California State University (minus Cal State University Fullerton which requires the test be simply taken), Delaware, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, George Mason, George Washington, Harvard, Indiana University Bloomington, Kansas State, Loyola University New Orleans, Mississippi State University, Ole Miss, Princeton, Sarah Lawrence College, University of Arizona, University of Chicago, Holy Cross, Washington State University, Wake Forrest,

*St. Johns requires an essay in place of the standardized tests
**Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech will will waive the standardized test requirement if you are in the top 10% of your graduating class with at least a 3.5 GPA
***Loyola University Chicago requires SAT scores for admission, but students who choose not to take it can still apply.

That's not most schools---that's a very small select few--with the Ivy League conducting an experiment not making the idea permanent.

But either way these kids got screwed because of a drivers mistake and its a nice talking point the company can bank and use as they see fit.

nWo

Millennials and their standardized tests. Back in my day we dropped out of school in 4th grade and worked on the farm.

wilberforce15

There a few schools that did it because students have dealt with covid-19:

MIT did it for 2020 and 2021 only. They announced it was back on for 2022 admissions.

the list that I see of colleges people heard of is: American University, Arizona State University, Columbia, Cornell, University of California, California State University (minus Cal State University Fullerton which requires the test be simply taken), Delaware, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, George Mason, George Washington, Harvard, Indiana University Bloomington, Kansas State, Loyola University New Orleans, Mississippi State University, Ole Miss, Princeton, Sarah Lawrence College, University of Arizona, University of Chicago, Holy Cross, Washington State University, Wake Forrest,

*St. Johns requires an essay in place of the standardized tests
**Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech will will waive the standardized test requirement if you are in the top 10% of your graduating class with at least a 3.5 GPA
***Loyola University Chicago requires SAT scores for admission, but students who choose not to take it can still apply.

That's not most schools---that's a very small select few--with the Ivy League conducting an experiment not making the idea permanent.

But either way these kids got screwed because of a drivers mistake and its a nice talking point the company can bank and use as they see fit.
Congratulations. You get to be added to the list of people who look silly for disagreeing with me.

Its_a_me

Congratulations. You get to be added to the list of people who look silly for disagreeing with me.

You do know how to read right? Try it again, here it is: "the list that I see of colleges people heard of..."

If you re-read that sentence and still don't understand that it wasn't a complete list, maybe it's time to go back to your school system and demand they do better.

Congrats to not understand the difference between quality and quantity.

Now don't you look silly.

wilberforce15

You do know how to read right? Try it again, here it is: "the list that I see of colleges people heard of..."

If you re-read that sentence and still don't understand that it wasn't a complete list, maybe it's time to go back to your school system and demand they do better.

Congrats to not understand the difference between quality and quantity.

Now don't you look silly.
900 isn't a select few, and most people have heard of most of those colleges and universities.

Except you, it seems.

But I can't be held accountable for how little you know.

Its_a_me

900 isn't a select few, and most people have heard of most of those colleges and universities.

Except you, it seems.

But I can't be held accountable for how little you know.
There are approx 6,000 colleges and universities. Of those about 4k grant degrees.

900/6000 is 15%. 900/ 4000 is 22.5%

That is definitely a select few.

But I can't be held accountable for people that think a 15%-22.5% range is a high percentage. I would surmise that even a 5th grader knows better than that. It certainly isn't going to be the correct answer on an SAT question.

wilberforce15

There are approx 6,000 colleges and universities. Of those about 4k grant degrees.

900/6000 is 15%. 900/ 4000 is 22.5%

That is definitely a select few.

But I can't be held accountable for people that think a 15%-22.5% range is a high percentage. I would surmise that even a 5th grader knows better than that. It certainly isn't going to be the correct answer on an SAT question.
You are forgetting that most of those are community colleges and other places that never required these tests. Those are not part of the 900.

The only relevant ones are the ones that once required them, and now don't. That means a solid majority of 4-year schools that used to require them have drop the requirement.

The longer you go the dumber you look.