Speak Up or Shut Up?

badpal

In 30 plus years i have learned one valuable lesson always follow thier question with a question of your own. They hate that

tieguy

Banned
audits are not TLA's.

your job is to recite the information if asked. You job is to demonstrate safety and or correct methods. Not peforming will get you unwanted attention. There is little good that comes out of an audit and usually more heartache.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
audits are not TLA's.

your job is to recite the information if asked. You job is to demonstrate safety and or correct methods. Not peforming will get you unwanted attention. There is little good that comes out of an audit and usually more heartache.

TLA???
What is this, the 90's?

22.34life

You should speak up, not doing so is creating a hazard for you and everyone around you. I would have followed the chain of command, starting with the offending party. There are procedures to be followed and throwing it down a slide is not one of them. He has no authority to even touch that leaker. The hub manager should be upset with the sup not the one who mentioned it. How would you feel if he did this again but this time someone got hurt because
of his actions. That's not a good feeling to have.
I know what the proper procedure is for handling a leaking package i used to be preload dmp for 3 yrs.You must not have worked here very long with all that follow the chain of command crap your talking about.Where do you think these p/t sups learn this stuff,i have seen full time sups do the same thing as a part time sup.you must really live in lala land if you think the manager doesnt know this stuff goes on ,in fact he probably encourages it.as long as nobody does it in front of the manager he has plausable deniabilty and thats all he cares about,that and the buisness plan.

tracker2762

I know what the proper procedure is for handling a leaking package i used to be preload dmp for 3 yrs.You must not have worked here very long with all that follow the chain of command crap your talking about.Where do you think these p/t sups learn this stuff,i have seen full time sups do the same thing as a part time sup.you must really live in lala land if you think the manager doesnt know this stuff goes on ,in fact he probably encourages it.as long as nobody does it in front of the manager he has plausable deniabilty and thats all he cares about,that and the buisness plan.

26 years and the one thing I don't put up with is " Do as I say not as I do" If your going to tell me not to do something and your doing it then you won't be doing it for long because my safety is more important. I don't care who it is. I guess when your well respected they might look at you in a different way. I have no fear in bringing safety concerns up, I consider it my duty to me and my co-workers.

Last edited by a moderator:

22.34life

26 years and the one thing I don't put up with is " Do as I say not as I do" If your going to tell me not to do something and your doing it then you won't be doing it for long because my safety is more important. I don't care who it is. I guess when your well respected they might look at you in a different way. I have no fear in bringing safety concerns up, I consider it my duty to me and my co-workers.
26 years is a long time and i understand what you are saying,but the point is that leaking packages are so far down the priority list.Hub management is about making the buisness plan and they could care less about leaking packages so following the chain of command in the hub will get you no results,now what will get you results is complaining to p/e they are over the dmp and anything that relates to it so they could care less about the hubs buisness plan.I have never complained about what they do,whats the point it wont change.when the auditers are there do the dog and pony show because if you dont you will become the biggest blip on the ups rader and have a huge target on your back,but if none of that bothers you than by all means tell them everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I show up with 0 seconds to start time, and punch out before I get in the building. Only a few people I want to talk to after work, and they aint one.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
When the blind are leading the blind, nothing good can possibly come from identifying the idiocy. The ego of the so called superiors must somehow block out logic an reason. Unfortunately speaking up to identify obvious errors or flaws is regarded as opposition.

pissedoffmanager

Some pretty bad advice here in this thread, if it is a Keter audit, answer the questions to the best of your ability. If you don't know the answers, then be honest and tell them why you don't know the answer, if it is lack of training, then tell them, if you don't know the answer, then man up and admit you cant remember! The best policy with something like this is always honesty. Make sure if you have "information" to give them, that you do so with another hourly and your hourly safety committee rep is there, because they will back you up! Don't lie, just give them the information they ask and you will be fine! If there are some serious safety accusations to be made, make sure you have another hourly as a witness with you who has seen those accusations being done! I friend there is something really bad wrong in the center, Keter will find it anyway! Just CYA, and answer to the best of your ability the questions they ask, you will be fine!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When the blind are leading the blind, nothing good can possibly come from identifying the idiocy. The ego of the so called superiors must somehow block out logic an reason. Unfortunately speaking up to identify obvious errors or flaws is regarded as opposition.

If these errors or flaws or so obvious why would you wait until you are being audited to identify them?

helenofcalifornia

Does Keter, or any upper management for that matter, that goes to a UPS building actually believe what they see? It's like the Potemkin villages in the Soviet Union where everything was sanitized, beautiful homes, people happy, kids clean and healthy. All lies. UPS is the same way. At our building we have been told in the past when there was an audit, to punch out and quickly leave the building so that we were not the ones questioned on the DOK. When ever upper management is taking a tour, the janitors got OT the day before cleaning up, drivers get told to wear only UPS approved gear, preload wraps up early, and somehow, no late air. If you want to see the real UPS, try a surprise visit.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
If these errors or flaws or so obvious why would you wait until you are being audited to identify them?

I wasn't specifically speaking of an audit. That just happens to be one of the events that brings them around. If they are not there, how would a person inform them of the issue, problem, conflict or concern?

PE Pro

The only joke I see is the one looking back at you when you shave in the morning.
:blink: No argument here! A true vocational joke I am. As I have stated before I am a decent paycheck and good benefits away from being a complete career loser but that doesn't change the fact. UPS safety committees are riddled with brown kiss-ups who have no problem being corrupt.

rushfan

We had a retiree speak up at his last day, and it just so happens the posse was in town that day at the pcm . Isn't that right BSUUPS? Wait, I don't think you were there at that time.