Speeding Ticket?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Almal5831, Jul 22, 2014.

  1. Almal5831

    Almal5831 New Member

    So I never got a speeding ticket in my life... Until yesterday. I graduated itergrad little over a month ago. Before I got hired they said they couldn't hire me if I had any speeding tickets which I didn't. I haven't started driving yet, I am supposed to start in the next couple weeks. Will the speeding ticket affect me starting to drive or after you're hired does it not matter if you have any speeding tickets.

    Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. upschuck

    upschuck Well-Known Member

    Some municipalities will let you go to school to have the ticket expunged. I suggest you do that if possible. After you start driving, they give you some leniency, but will have to divulge it on your yearly certification, if not expunged.
  3. Wally

    Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

    Why say anything unless they ask. They won't check abstract again until next year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. brownman.canada

    brownman.canada New Member

    Yes it does matter, you have be free of speeding tickeks for 3 years. so they might not let you drive until it is clear of your records.......SORRY MAN!!
  5. idrivethetruck

    idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

    Just hire an attorney. It'll cost you a couple hundred, but you'll save that much not having your insurance go up. They will reduce the moving violation to some bs like improper equipment and it will never go on your record.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    Why does everyone jump on the "lawyer up" bandwagon so quickly?

    Try to get it reduced to a non-moving violation. You don't need a lawyer to do this.

    Resident know-it-all.
  7. Almal5831

    Almal5831 New Member

    Guess my best bet is to try & "get it taken care of" & if that don't work I'll just keep my mouth shut until they ask. I love logistics. Thanks for the intel.

    Sent using BrownCafe App
  8. idrivethetruck

    idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

    No, you need to take a day off of work and sit in a courtroom half the day to get a chance to argue your case. Even then, there's a good chance it won't work.
    My daughter hired attorneys for both of her speeding tix and never had to miss a day of school or work. All she had to do was make a phone call, mail the tix to the attorneys, and pay the fees. One cost her $50 plus court fees and the other cost $150 plus fees. Her record stayed clean and she didn't have to worry about the outcome.
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    I happened to notice that you forgot (neglected?) to mention the attorney's fees.
  10. dinger19

    dinger19 New Member

    Go to court and beg for impeding.

    Sent using BrownCafe App
  11. idrivethetruck

    idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

    Both attorney's fees were stated in my post, $50 for one, $150 for the other. It's not expensive to get these things taken care of.
    What's expensive is the insurance once they get wind of your infraction.
  12. brownmonster

    brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

    I thought only boys had lead feet.

    MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

    If your state offers traffic school, take it. Pay the full fine plus traffic school fee and it never goes on your record.
  14. airintrace

    airintrace Active Member

    Thats good insight upstate but its kind of a roll of the dice. If all doesn't go well in court or you fail to share your position well in regards to needing mercy; thats it... That was your chance. In my opinion if you look at the big picture and realize that driving job = decent $$$ the few hundred dollars may not seem so bad in the grand scheme of things but if you do it yourself and things go wrong you have everything to loose.
  15. jumpman23

    jumpman23 Oh Yeah

    They probably checked your driving record before the class most likely. If not maybe take it to court of like common pleas where they knock tickets down to a lesser offense. Talk to judge or public defender and see if maybe they can can change it to like no proof of insurance or something that is not a moving violation and you are willing to still pay a fine or something. Well worth the try if your completely honest with them.
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    This is not technically true. The violation does go on your record but is removed upon successful completion of traffic school and submission of proof to the DMV.

    MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

    In CA, if you complete the course by the due date, it will not show on your record. It will be a " confidential conviction" and not show on any report that an employer would get.
  18. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    In New York the conviction is posted to your abstract and points added to your license within 30 days. The points and conviction are removed within 30 days of completion of the course and submission of proof to the DMV.

    New York offers online ordering of your abstract-----I think it is $7 or $10. It is a good idea to check your abstract at least once a year to make sure the information is accurate.
  19. PrimoKS1

    PrimoKS1 New Member

    Totally agree. Hire a lawyer if you dont feel like going to traffic court. If you explain to the judge, especially being your first violation, he will hook you up. He might pump his fist in your general direction and give you the what-for though.