SPHOR

helenofcalifornia

As an example of how screwed up the numbers are, a driver in our center went out with 180 stops. came back the next day 2 hours over. So the dispatch person put the driver at 120 (!) the next day and he still was 2 hours over. How can that be? Pieces were not that much higher on the second day.

browniehound

How? It is not paid portion of your day? Where's the P-man when you need him?

I'll explain how and this might only be a small percentage of the routes or maybe a large %. I only know my route. If I leave lunch until the end I can get most of my deliveries off before my pick-ups. My pick-ups are the closest stops to the center.

Per the contract, I need to take lunch between the 4th and 5th hour, plus a two ten minute breaks to be taken between the 2nd and 3rd hours and the other between the 6th and 8th hours.

On my route, this really hurts management on the 3-day ride. By forcing my lunch in the middle of the day I can't finish my house calls. I must now drive 3 miles from my last pick-up to the house call section. I must now finish that section and drive 5 miles back to the building. How much are we losing doing this? This is 8 freaking miles!

I don't get it. No left turns are allowed to save .3 miles and 1/8 gallons of fuel , but I am forced to take my lunch at 1:15 to add 8 miles and 1 gallon of fuel to my day? Its a wonder we make any money...

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Omega Man

You have 30 more miles to drive today? Too bad

WRONG!!

You have 3 extra 100 piece bulk stops on you today.

WRONG AGAIN!!

My comments are born from my education and training in mathematics and statistical analysis.

Please ask for a refund for your education and training because you obviously did not comprehend -retain the material given to you.

The 2 situations you refer too would drop the SPORH on any route. If a manager is looking at a driver and he see's a big difference in the driver's SPORH compared to his normal SPORH he is going to go straight across the report and see why the big difference (more miles - more pieces - more am time) whatever the case maybe. Your obvious fictional manager more than likely would not make any comment about SPORH.

If you are going to bash Managers or Supervisors using trumped up data at least be smart and make sure it add's up, because if you don't, I will and I will beat you any day at that game.

Management by MEASUREMENT ever heard of it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'll explain how and this might only be a small percentage of the routes or maybe a large %. I only know my route. If I leave lunch until the end I can get most of my deliveries off before my pick-ups. My pick-ups are the closest stops to the center.

Per the contract, I need to take lunch between the 4th and 5th hour, plus a two ten minute breaks to be taken between the 2nd and 3rd hours and the other between the 6th and 8th hours.

On my route, this really hurts management on the 3-day ride. By forcing my lunch in the middle of the day I can't finish my house calls. I must now drive 3 miles from my last pick-up to the house call section. I must now finish that section and drive 5 miles back to the building. How much are we losing doing this? This is 8 freaking miles!

I don't get it. No left turns are allowed to save .3 miles and 1/8 gallons of fuel , but I am forced to take my lunch at 1:15 to add 8 miles and 1 gallon of fuel to my day? Its a wonder we make any money...
There is even more to it than this Brownie. I tried to make this point a long time ago in here but I was brushed off as being of no consequence. What time of day you take your lunch can have a huge impact on getting business done and what time you clock out. A heavy business rte risks missed business by taking lunch during contratced hours. Breaking off adds miles and time.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Upstate,

It will not matter when you took your lunch.

Your center team and the district IE team will be looking at your stops.

Business vs Residential.

Multiple deliveries at one address.

At a business you recorded as office when in fact you deliver to the dock every day.

This and a lot more will be reviewed with the Center team. It took us 3 hrs to do 47 routes.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
browniehound

Are you ok taking your lunch at the end of the day or would you prefer to take it in the middle of the day?

Omega man

Omega Man

You have 30 more miles to drive today? Too bad

WRONG!!

You have 3 extra 100 piece bulk stops on you today.

WRONG AGAIN!!

My comments are born from my education and training in mathematics and statistical analysis.

Please ask for a refund for your education and training because you obviously did not comprehend -retain the material given to you.

The 2 situations you refer too would drop the SPORH on any route. If a manager is looking at a driver and he see's a big difference in the driver's SPORH compared to his normal SPORH he is going to go straight across the report and see why the big difference (more miles - more pieces - more am time) whatever the case maybe. Your obvious fictional manager more than likely would not make any comment about SPORH.

If you are going to bash Managers or Supervisors using trumped up data at least be smart and make sure it add's up, because if you don't, I will and I will beat you any day at that game.

Management by MEASUREMENT ever heard of it.

[FONT=&quot]Your post makes no sense. Managers are currently disciplining and trying to fire drivers for any drop in SPORH disregarding anything that results in that drop including additional miles driven or additional pieces delivered. This has been the focus of the discussion. Please wake up.[/FONT]

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

[FONT=&quot]Your post makes no sense. Managers are currently disciplining and trying to fire drivers for any drop in SPORH disregarding anything that results in that drop including additional miles driven or additional pieces delivered. This has been the focus of the discussion. Please wake up.[/FONT]

Perhaps it is you who needs to wake up. Dragon's post is spot on. The problem is your mgt team is not analyzing the data on the operations report to see why there was a decrease in your SPORH for that day. Disciplining for the decreased SPORH w/o trying to find out why it decreased is poor managing IMO.

Omega man

Perhaps it is you who needs to wake up. Dragon's post is spot on. The problem is your mgt team is not analyzing the data on the operations report to see why there was a decrease in your SPORH for that day. Disciplining for the decreased SPORH w/o trying to find out why it decreased is poor managing IMO.

[FONT=&quot]You are stating that I am wrong and then you try to prove it by agreeing with me?????? Yes, the problem is management. This poor management is going on in many parts of the country. Again, this is my point.[/FONT]

Omega man

Upstate,

Business vs Residential.

At a business you recorded as office when in fact you deliver to the dock every day.

This and a lot more will be reviewed with the Center team. It took us 3 hrs to do 47 routes.

[FONT=&quot]It will matter if by following his contractual lunch time it causes him to drive more miles.[/FONT]

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's a virtual time study. Would it still help?
Virtually!

Management by MEASUREMENT ever heard of it
How about mgmt by bullying or trying to be as offensive as possible, because that's what we have for an on-road here!

Upstate,

Business vs Residential.

Dragon, did you take into account what Browniehound said about taking lunch at differing times? This does make a difference if you think about it.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Steve you are correct - I forgot to ask that question.

UPstate - would you run more miles if you took your lunch in the middle of the day or at the end.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Upstate answered the question. It will not affect his virtual time study if he runs no additional miles. This not the only item that is on the virtual time study. One very big one is when you stop complete the stop. Make sure you do it at the stop or walking back to vehicle not when you get down the road. There are several other items on the time study that will be reviewed with driver (if done correctly) or center team prior to the time study going to corporate IE for approval.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Upstate answered the question. It will not affect his virtual time study if he runs no additional miles. This not the only item that is on the virtual time study. One very big one is when you stop complete the stop. Make sure you do it at the stop or walking back to vehicle not when you get down the road. There are several other items on the time study that will be reviewed with driver (if done correctly) or center team prior to the time study going to corporate IE for approval.
Mind you that this is Upstate's route, not all route's in general. Also, does "virtual" time study take into account old, young, thin, heavy, tall, short or any of the many other variable's out there. What if a "virtual" time study is done on a week when the route driver is on vacation and Mr. Young Gun is slamming the route? There are so many variables, but IE just plays the law of averages. I've seen the numbers that the dispatcher has to abide by. This is so ridiculous!

Omega man

It wouldn't in my case as I deliver in a city but you do have a point, albeit a trivial one.

There is also something involved that can't be easily quantified. Most drivers are slower after they stop and eat. After eating, more blood flow goes to the stomach and is less available to supply oxygen to muscles. The type of food you eat on lunch also matters. If you eat foods that are high in sugar or flour like pasta, this makes the pancreas produce and release insulin into the blood stream. Then a protein-building block called tryptophan moves to the brain and is converted into serotonin. Serotonin makes you tired and makes you crave a nap.This is why many people feel sleepy after they eat. So, the earlier in the day that you eat, the longer you have afterwards working at a diminished ability to perform for UPS resulting in being less productive for the day.