SPHOR

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You make a good point but taking my break and lunch in the afternoon works best for me. I would have a hard time sitting for an hour during the middle of the day. I prefer completing my deliveries and first round of pickups before stopping for lunch/break and then finishing up my pickups on the way back to the bldg. While it may not be ideal in your mind to me it beats the heck out of taking lunch/break in the bldg at the end of the day.
I'm sure that would hold up in court. Your Honor, this is the best way for me. Despite the fact I had an accident in my 7th hour without a break. I don't think your know it all status has any standing in the court system. UPS may be turning a blind eye now, but don't think they won't throw you squarely under the bus when this scenario plays out. God forbid.

JustTired

free at last.......
If they use a 3 day average to come up with your SPORH, shouldn't they use a 3 day average for discipline?

For example: day 1 avg 12 SPORH.....day 2 avg 14 SPORH....day 3 avg 10 SPORH.....for a 3 day average and lock-in of 12 SPORH.

Now what happens when you get that 10 SPORH day? Are you subject to discipline?

I have no problem with there being a metric to measure performance as long as it is valid and attainable. But while over/under takes in various parameters in its' calculation, SPORH does not. In my opinion...SPORH as a measurement is meaningless.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you have an accident while on lunch break, go back in the DIAD and remove the lunch break. If they ask, say I was gonna take lunch at that time but changed my mind and forgot to delete it. :peaceful: PS Break or not, you're on company time, you're covered.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sure that would hold up in court. Your Honor, this is the best way for me. Despite the fact I had an accident in my 7th hour without a break. I don't think your know it all status has any standing in the court system. UPS may be turning a blind eye now, but don't think they won't throw you squarely under the bus when this scenario plays out. God forbid.

Yawn.

browniehound

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

They fired a guy in the west for dishonesty, cause he was putting in his lunch and breaks and then working through them, on road breaks count when they are doing your spohr evaluation. This driver was actually giving the company time (which adds up to money) to help meet his numbers and they fired him for it. The union got his job back, but this is how they are now. They would rather fire you for frivolous things than thank-you for giving back.

I understand this. I run my lunch a handful of times every year. It stems from needing to be home for a reason or a jump-start on a certain get-away weekend. I don't even bother asking for a paid lunch. I just don't want to go through the riga-ma-role that it takes to get a 'code 5'.

I don't do it often, so i'd rather just eat it. Most times that I do this I end un punching out 30-45 minutes before 8 hours. We get paid a 8 hour day even if we work less, so I consider it a wash most times

Now that I'm on the subject, why is UPS so hell-bent on me taking the hour lunch? I'm punched out at 1655 and you need me to put a lunch hour into the DIAD?

I've been posting this for a while on Browncafe and still have not heard a legit response so I will ask it again. Please, I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion:

Why does UPS force us to take the hour lunch? Why can't we just take what we need and enter that into the DIAD?

I used to think maybe UPS thought the drivers were taking extra time. Now that we have Telematics UPS knows everything and we can't pull the wool over their eyes.

Again, why the hour lunch?

Is it simply for the fact that UPS is counting on the free labor from its "lunch runners"?

How ethical is this practice?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I understand this. I run my lunch a handful of times every year. It stems from needing to be home for a reason or a jump-start on a certain get-away weekend. I don't even bother asking for a paid lunch. I just don't want to go through the riga-ma-role that it takes to get a 'code 5'.

I don't do it often, so i'd rather just eat it. Most times that I do this I end un punching out 30-45 minutes before 8 hours. We get paid a 8 hour day even if we work less, so I consider it a wash most times

Now that I'm on the subject, why is UPS so hell-bent on me taking the hour lunch? I'm punched out at 1655 and you need me to put a lunch hour into the DIAD?

I've been posting this for a while on Browncafe and still have not heard a legit response so I will ask it again. Please, I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion:

Why does UPS force us to take the hour lunch? Why can't we just take what we need and enter that into the DIAD?

I used to think maybe UPS thought the drivers were taking extra time. Now that we have Telematics UPS knows everything and we can't pull the wool over their eyes.

Again, why the hour lunch?

Is it simply for the fact that UPS is counting on the free labor from its "lunch runners"?

How ethical is this practice?

The lunc period is for rest and refreshing of the mind and body. It is contractually agreed upon and at least in my supplement it states you are both allowed and required to take the lunch, ours is 30 minutes.

It is to cover their buts if something were to happen.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If they use a 3 day average to come up with your SPORH, shouldn't they use a 3 day average for discipline?

For example: day 1 avg 12 SPORH.....day 2 avg 14 SPORH....day 3 avg 10 SPORH.....for a 3 day average and lock-in of 12 SPORH.

Now what happens when you get that 10 SPORH day? Are you subject to discipline?

I have no problem with there being a metric to measure performance as long as it is valid and attainable. But while over/under takes in various parameters in its' calculation, SPORH does not. In my opinion...SPORH as a measurement is meaningless.

discipline for SPORH is done on a weekly average.

browniehound

The lunc period is for rest and refreshing of the mind and body. It is contractually agreed upon and at least in my supplement it states you are both allowed and required to take the lunch, ours is 30 minutes.

I understand this, but why such the fuss and disipline if YOU decide not to take all of it? Our contract allows for 2 paid 10 minute breaks and an hour unpaid lunch to be taken between the 4th and 5th hour.

If my route is 98% house calls and zero pick-ups why can't I decide NOT to take a lunch? I can use the 2-10 minute paid breaks to eat and then work straight through to finish as early as possible.

Why make me sit at the end of the day doing nothing? I can't stand it. I can't just sit there by myself for an hour everyday, every week, all year doing nothing! Its freaking torture.

Who the hell needs 1.4 hours of break-time everyday? Thats 1.4 hours away from your family on top of the 9-11 you are actually working for UPS

I just want a little bit of life outside work mon-fri. The 1.4 hours of "contractually negotiated" break time doesn't help my life outside UPS. It does the opposite, it confines me to UPS.

I don't like it and thats my opinion.

browniehound

I understand this, but why such the fuss and disipline if YOU decide not to take all of it? Our contract allows for 2 paid 10 minute breaks and an hour unpaid lunch to be taken between the 4th and 5th hour.

If my route is 98% house calls and zero pick-ups why can't I decide NOT to take a lunch? I can use the 2-10 minute paid breaks to eat and then work straight through to finish as early as possible.

Why make me sit at the end of the day doing nothing? I can't stand it. I can't just sit there by myself for an hour everyday, every week, all year doing nothing! Its freaking torture.

Who the hell needs 1.4 hours of break-time everyday? Thats 1.4 hours away from your family on top of the 9-11 you are actually working for UPS

I just want a little bit of life outside work mon-fri. The 1.4 hours of "contractually negotiated" break time doesn't help my life outside UPS. It does the opposite, it confines me to UPS.

whiskey

It's 1.33

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I spend my lunch/break at my house browsing Brown Cafe for words of wisdom from both you and BH. Have yet to find any.
You take your breaks and lunch, at least a portion of them, at 4:3O pm every day. I don't doubt that you think you have it all figured out. For the moment, all is well. All it will take to collapse your house of cards is one out of step moment. So step lightly my friend. Because your next step may be your last unless you learn how to CYA.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You take your breaks and lunch, at least a portion of them, at 4:3O pm every day. I don't doubt that you think you have it all figured out. For the moment, all is well. All it will take to collapse your house of cards is one out of step moment. So step lightly my friend. Because your next step may be your last unless you learn how to CYA.

I take all of my 10 minute break and 45 minute lunch.

Thank you for you concern.

santoape

The info i am gathering on here if they ride with you on a sphor ride do you are do you not have to sign the paper that the sup ask you to sign?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If I had to take an hour lunch I would shoot myself. I take my 1/2 hour around 12:30 every day and it's very hard to get motivated to start working again. This job was not designed to acommodate a one hour lunch during the middle of the day.