split fingers, gloves question.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How many of you guys and gals, especially drivers, get small "splits" near your fingernails from the cold, and constant contact with boxes? Do anyone of you use a special cream or lotion to help with this. Also, how many wear gloves of somekind while driving and using the diad. Do any of you wear those mechanic gloves??

upsgrunt

Yea, I get em too. I really hate when they just about heal and then break open again. It feels like you have to wait until March before they finally go away. Try Eurceryn (sp) hand cream- it seems to work best for me. The mechanics gloves also seem to work best.
Good luck!

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I have been using the gloves they sell at the cintas site.I use them while delivering during the cold months and around the house all year long doing odd jobs.They cost around $7.00.I buy a dozen at a time.They last about a year or so.Never have a problem with cracked skin.

Cementups

Box Monkey
as stated before I wear Ironclad Box Handler gloves. A little pricey but I like 'em. I go thru 2 or 3 pairs per season (Nov-April) .

Jagz

I use Ansell Sensi-lite gloves. They are very tight on your hand, so they still allow you to use the Diad and get things out of your pockets.

Don't think they have very warm, but they work perfect for what I need. I use them summer and winter.

O

OJOY

I got a pair of cotton gloves dipped in latex type material, wow do these work! My hands were a chapped, cracked and split out really bad. In 1 weeks time my hands went from thrashed to smooth. I found them at a Flying J right by the counter...$6 bucks.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is a duplicate thread, coldworld stop with you dumb questions.

ok, excuse the hell out of me. Im sorry, I dont post on this site 25 times daily like you might. How many times a month do you see the same post, or a variation of the same post. Not sure why you have a problem with me, do you want to explain???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
hey old, it was a two part question man. No need to get so bent out of shape about a simple question. Whos going to search 10 pages back on a topic. I searched cracked fingers, sorry, no such luck. Ill make sure to.....oh :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, sometimes its just not worth the hassle.

dillweed

Hey coldworld, don't worry about it. I never search way back either so don't feel like a :censored2:. There is a thread from a few days ago about cracked hands that mentions lots of lotions and so forth that we've used.

I have the split thumb too and it hurts like heck! Cardboard really dries out the hands. I've used bag balm (greasy but good) and/or a bit of A/D ointment plus a band-aid. Dig back and find that other thread - there are other good ideas.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is fine, Im glad you posted it again. My hands get terrible especially at peak, and it is more painful, than a slash in your arm to have a slit at the end of one of your fingers. Makes peak even more miserable when you got your hands wrapped up like a mummy!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Someone on here mentioned iron clad gloves, they are great but are spendy. I was at target and they have some mechanic gloves , maybe by stanley and they are heavy duty, especially around the fingers and the pads of fingers.It feels almost like the material used on abrasive areas of snowboarder gloves and mitts. You guys are right about not being able to run the diad. Cutting the fingers off does help, but doesnt stop the splitting around the fingernails. Seems like many of the lotions out are not for heavy duty use like we might need. Burt bees have some different products also.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It is fine, Im glad you posted it again. My hands get terrible especially at peak, and it is more painful, than a slash in your arm to have a slit at the end of one of your fingers. Makes peak even more miserable when you got your hands wrapped up like a mummy!!

your right. I get them on the ends of my fingers, then barely stub them into something and they bleed and hurt hike hell. Does anyone get "dirty palms" from turning the steering wheel with your palms. After work, my palms look NASTY. Takes a good scrubbing with extremely hot water and a finger brush, dirt out of cracks are gone, but the skin on my palms become jacked up, and flakey...crazy.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Someone on here mentioned iron clad gloves, they are great but are spendy. I was at target and they have some mechanic gloves , maybe by stanley and they are heavy duty, especially around the fingers and the pads of fingers.It feels almost like the material used on abrasive areas of snowboarder gloves and mitts. You guys are right about not being able to run the diad. Cutting the fingers off does help, but doesnt stop the splitting around the fingernails. Seems like many of the lotions out are not for heavy duty use like we might need. Burt bees have some different products also.

This is why I like the Ironclad gloves. I didn't have to buy a pair of gloves and then go and ruin them by cutting hte fingertips. And with the Ironclads you have full function of your hands including running the DIAD and reaching into my pockets.
You may pay alittle more but as with all things, you get what you pay for.