Split shift on the belt to eliminate ot at 5 1/2????

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
If you are Full Time it is Overtime over 8 . If you are Part Time and choose to work a double it is OT over 8. If you are Part Time and work one shift over 5 ( in my area it is OT after 5) again check with the Hall !!!! I have Pt's working this Sunday for straight time and Full timers working right next to them getting double if you think you have it bad.It is what the contract states or doesn't say no more no less.

JDAM00

I am making an educated analysis of your situation.

Is this proposed change permanent or just for the duration of Peak?

Duration of peak. I know its only a few weeks, but being a full time student, loading trucks, living on my own and trying to survive has been rough. Its easy to blow a gasket when this company I have a lot of respect for seems to be trying its hardest to squeeze everything I have. $100 a week = gas and electric, cable, and car insurance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought it was a Peak thing--this is why the Union agreed to it. They would not have been so agreeable if the change were permanent.

This makes a lot of sense from a purely business perspective.

gostillerz

I don't understand this. It's not 2 different part time shifts or job classifications, and I don't think a union local can supersede the contract. I mean a 30 min lunch is a good idea when you're loading for 8 hours, but the OT should still start after 5 hours of work.

If you punch in at say 00:00, take a 45 min unpaid lunch, then punch out at 8:00, that is still one shift. If they're making you actually punch out then back in, I'd refuse. You could slip on something and get hurt while techically off the clock, and you're screwed.

A bunch of people getting sick for a few days next week could help.

Last edited:

JDAM00

I am making an educated analysis of your situation.

Is this proposed change permanent or just for the duration of Peak?

Upstate you were wrong, It is a split shift. In the contract, UPS has the option to add another shift during peak to keep up with the flow. Our facility is using that as a loop hole, just like I laid out. Everything I threw out there about what UPS is doing is true. It is not a change to full time with a lunch, it is a split shift, to stick it to us.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Upstate you were wrong, It is a split shift. In the contract, UPS has the option to add another shift during peak to keep up with the flow. Our facility is using that as a loop hole, just like I laid out. Everything I threw out there about what UPS is doing is true. It is not a change to full time with a lunch, it is a split shift, to stick it to us.

I don't know which local rider you fall under, but I'd imagine you have the option of declining to work the "additional" shift.

Further, at the conclusion of the season, you could file against this. If the company abruptly added the shift without sign-up sheets, hiring to staff it, etc., then it'd be a clear attempt to circumvent the contract and you'd probably win.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't have all the info. I don't have much. We just had a meeting on our break this morning to talk about word that came down from our union rep that the am pre load is going to switch to a split shift. Working half the shift, 45 minutes off of work then finish the shift. The change would find a loop hole in the 5 1/2 hour ot. Does anyone have any information on this? If we change to a split, within the contract wouldn't the 2nd shift be optional? Like being asked to work the pm local sort?
JDAM00,

What supplement are you under?

Sincerely,
I

brown_trousers

I don't have all the info. I don't have much. We just had a meeting on our break this morning to talk about word that came down from our union rep that the am pre load is going to switch to a split shift. Working half the shift, 45 minutes off of work then finish the shift. The change would find a loop hole in the 5 1/2 hour ot. Does anyone have any information on this? If we change to a split, within the contract wouldn't the 2nd shift be optional? Like being asked to work the pm local sort?

a split shift would produce more overtime! That would give you 10 shifts per week, anything over 5 shifts is overtime

1000RR

In my local if you are part time over 5 hours per day in the hub is time and a half. Does not have to be consecutive and doesn't matter if it is one shift or double shift.

Gazelle

Race me!
In my hub we have loaders working 7-9 hours per night, mostly because their pieces are around 1800-2100. Any night that a loader is scheduled over 8 hours we are giving them a 30 minute lunch. They do not get their OT after 5.5 because they are scheduled for an 8 hour shift. Most work beyond 8 hours so it's only fair that they get their lunch plus their 10 minute break. It's not a split shift, it is 1 scheduled shift with a break.

They are making you take a break because it's only fair that you should get one if it's an 8 hour shift. We have to schedule employees this early so we have cage capacity for when the preload starts. The "pre-preloading" on the night isn't enough, we need loaders to have clean work areas because it will only get worse if the night sort keeps stacking. It's a temporary thing, only lasts through December.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my hub we have loaders working 7-9 hours per night, mostly because their pieces are around 1800-2100. Any night that a loader is scheduled over 8 hours we are giving them a 30 minute lunch. They do not get their OT after 5.5 because they are scheduled for an 8 hour shift. Most work beyond 8 hours so it's only fair that they get their lunch plus their 10 minute break. It's not a split shift, it is 1 scheduled shift with a break.

They are making you take a break because it's only fair that you should get one if it's an 8 hour shift. We have to schedule employees this early so we have cage capacity for when the preload starts. The "pre-preloading" on the night isn't enough, we need loaders to have clean work areas because it will only get worse if the night sort keeps stacking. It's a temporary thing, only lasts through December.

So, it's not a split shift after all, is it?

JDAM00

No it is not considered a split shift. It is ONE scheduled 8 hour day.

It is a SPLIT SHIFT. I don't know how many times I have to explain it. Under my weekly start time sheet here is whats written.

"there will be a 30 minute lunch break between the end of the Peak Season Volume Relief Shift and the start of the Preload shift."

So it is considered a split shift, not a scheduled 8 hour day. They are using a clause in the contract that allows the facility to add a second shift to keep up with flow. We punch in at 12:05 am, work for 3 hours on the "Peak Season Volume Relief Shift" have a 30 minute lunch, begin work on our preload shift, have a 10 minute break, then punch out. It cant be any more clear there Upstate.

rudy5150

Part timers get overtime any hours worked after 5 and a half hours in any given day plain n simple. This has never been an issue in the past until this xmas. This is another attempt to say friend$ck u to the part timers by ups managment. Whats the difference between a driver working an 8-10 shift and a part timer? Is the driver double shifting or is it one shift? Its in the contract part timers get ot anything over 5 and a half!

JDAM00

You mean you yourself is loading 2,000 pieces per preload shift?

Close, I maxed out I think a little over 1800 on 6 trucks. All 1'000, a lot of post office. Rock star huh? Its a pretty crazy facility. Its smaller, maxed out just under 60 trucks. Currently drivers average over 200 stops a day. I run as a driver helper as well when I can. As frustrated as I am that I am with losing that overtime, what really bothers me is having Management find loop holes in the contract to pay us less. If they were worried about safety, there are other ways to include a 30 minute lunch.