Start in Warehouse or Seasonal?

FozziesDeliveries

based on the youtube video, no thanks. I thought all you had to do was delivering packages to residential houses but your have to deliver skids to commercial properties and pick up more skid of boxes from those same stores and departments. This is means have to load a bunch of boxes on a manual truck than having to walk long distances to a store like a macy's inside a mall. As an amazon delivery all you have to do is deliver small-medium size boxes to residential places and than your done.

..... yeah we have alot of over 70 pound stuff mixed in and alot of bulk. Alot of "heirloom" particle board furniture. Often atleast one package a day over 100 pounds. And yes we have a lot of pickups to go to every day.

I love how so many people (this guy included) is like "your job is easy you just deliver some packages" right..... i will applaud you though for educating yourself with watching these. Its not a simple job. Have to carry alot up and down steps every day and deal with idiot drivers on the road and customers. But ups has good pay and benefits though if you qualify and choose to stay around.

..... yeah we have alot of over 70 pound stuff mixed in and alot of bulk. Alot of "heirloom" particle board furniture. Often atleast one package a day over 100 pounds. And yes we have a lot of pickups to go to every day.

I love how so many people (this guy included) is like "your job is easy you just deliver some packages" right..... i will applaud you though for educating yourself with watching these. Its not a simple job. Have to carry alot up and down steps every day and deal with idiot drivers on the road and customers. But ups has good pay and benefits though if you qualify and choose to stay around.
I used to deliver packages around a college campus with a flat push cart once in a while, going into elevators, pushing a heavy cart out the door than walking like 300 feet or more to destination. Sometimes Had to push it down a hill or up a hill than find out the place is on reachable by stairs no elevator. I didn't mind it because I only did that like once a month. Now imagine I had to do that everyday. I would hate that.
After seeing this video. I was no, thank you. To imagine myself rushing to a destination thru traffic only to have to get out the truck and unload a bunch of boxes on a push cart to later unload the same boxes for someone idiot store owner inside his store than have to pick up at the same time boxes he wanted taken to UPS. Unless they let you take your time and you only hit about 3 locations per day than its alright.
But lets say you have to hit a minimum of destinations than its just straight out overkill and would make me a nervous wreck.

Last edited:

Dewdewbrown

well all delivery drivers for UPS, FEDEX, DHL AND AMAZON are required to unload a truck full of boxes when delivering before end of shift. If they just want drive around maybe they should get a CDL where they only have to drive from one location to another so that someone can unload the truck while they sit in the Semi waiting to drive off.

In my honest opinion if you can drive a delivery van for UPS during all kinds of weather like ice and snow than you should just get a CDL where you get paid more and you don't have to do any work. This is one major thing that has prevented me from even getting a CDL having to drive in icy conditions and in heavy snow risking my life.
Dude shut up..Us ups drivers do not unload our trucks at the end of the shift..shut up..

Dewdewbrown

I used to deliver packages around a college campus with a flat push cart once in a while, going into elevators, pushing a heavy cart out the door than walking like 300 feet or more to destination. Sometimes Had to push it down a hill or up a hill than find out the place is on reachable by stairs no elevator. I didn't mind it because I only did that like once a month. Now imagine I had to do that everyday. I would hate that.
After seeing this video. I was no, thank you. To imagine myself rushing to a destination thru traffic only to have to get out the truck and unload a bunch of boxes on a push cart to later unload the same boxes for someone idiot store owner inside his store than have to pick up at the same time boxes he wanted taken to UPS. Unless they let you take your time and you only hit about 3 locations per day than its alright.
But lets say you have to hit a minimum of destinations than its just straight out overkill and would make me a nervous wreck.
Why are you here???

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Apparently UPS hires anyone to drive as long as you have a drivers license unlike Fedex. If your a good driver I would apply for driver for the pay and full time. Starting off at warehouse would be a waste of time since you get less than 20 hours per week. You have to keep in mind there is a UPS warehouse in almost each town so you always going to get less than 20 hours because they so many warehouse they pay more for lease the warehouses than they do workers. These places like UPS, fed ex and amazon offer little pay for hard labor. If your starting off like lets say your a high school graduate I would choose a partime job at UPS but realize you could make the same amount flipping burgers at Mcdonalds or KFC and get the same amount since mininum wage is at 12.00$ and expect to go to 13.00$ by start of 2023. UPS AND AMAZON have decided to stick with 15.00$ near mininum wage and the work load for that wage isn't worth it.
But based some research and videos UPS and fedex drivers get heavy packages like sofas to deliver and amazon only delivers small to medium boxes only since most of there large boxes is delivered thru white boxes by separate contractors. So your going to be in for a work out with UPS and Fedex. But with UPS they pay around 23.00$ per hour compared to the competition of amazon only offering 17.50$ for delivery.

BANNED
LMFAO

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I applied tried to apply at fedex and Amazon as a delivery driver, they require commercial driving experience even if you don't have a CDL, they require work background driving with references that include name and phone number.
Your suggestion that I start off as a warehouse worker to become a delivery driver doesn't make sense.
What they require for a delivery driver is to have a clean driving record and to drive quickly to the delivery locations without getting lost or having a crash while driving a large van. Many people can't drive a large van even if they have a regular driver license.
If you can drive a large van without running over things or crashing into cars and are familiar with the roads than you should apply for a delivery position however, if you suck at driving and have never driven a white box size truck size van than you shouldn't apply for the delivery position cause you gonna end up crashing it and getting fired. For instance if you miss an exit and get lost your going to be screwed around trying to move around with a huge delivery truck trying to get to a location to either pick up the packages or deliver them. And people are usually waiting for the delivery driver esp. business locations.
UPS doesn't care if you can lift boxes, that's why they have the low paying job for those warehouse workers. Delivery driver requires being able to drive not being able to lift boxes.

6E7A766F-4C68-4F93-99C7-D026B86942EC.gif

Hi everyone -

I am looking to have a driving career with UPS and am looking for advice on a few things:

Should I take a job in the warehouse and see how it goes?

Or should I take a shot at doing seasonal hoping O get a permanent position?

Also, is UPS requiring vaccine mandates for all employees at this point?

Any advice helps. Thanks,
I am currently a driver helper in round rock tx but am looking to work in warehouse but am being told that I have to wait for end of peak season. I'm never called in for driver helper position that's why I want to go to warehouse can anyone help me transition over.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am currently a driver helper in round rock tx but am looking to work in warehouse but am being told that I have to wait for end of peak season. I'm never called in for driver helper position that's why I want to go to warehouse can anyone help me transition over.

So, if your never called in for driver helper are you really a driver helper
I think not