Start time for GROUND

bbsam

Staff member
LOL. Disallow from the building? Did he really come up with that? Yesterday my TM pulled me aside and asked me to "in a politically correct way" tell a driver's wife she couldn't be on the van line in the morning. I looked at him, smiled, and said, "Can't. She's an approved driver as well." As long as someone remains an active driver in CDAS, that conversation goes nowhere. Now, could the TM remove someone from CDAS for no reason? Maybe, but it would probably cost him his job.

FedEx2000

LOL. Disallow from the building? Did he really come up with that? Yesterday my TM pulled me aside and asked me to "in a politically correct way" tell a driver's wife she couldn't be on the van line in the morning. I looked at him, smiled, and said, "Can't. She's an approved driver as well." As long as someone remains an active driver in CDAS, that conversation goes nowhere. Now, could the TM remove someone from CDAS for no reason? Maybe, but it would probably cost him his job.

Just curious, does this husband/wife team happen to deliver the Southpark Mall area? Also, does she help on the sort or is she just there....if she isn't helping there is really no reason to be there. If she isn't actually helping during the load or whatever, couldn't he just pick her up on the way out of the bldg? And do you pay her to work for you as well, or are they both working for the one salary?

bbsam

Staff member
No they do not work South Park. I do know who you are talking about but they do not work for me. I'm not sure why she is there. It's not often she stops in I think occasionally she helps load but nothing significant.

FedExer267

Yes the TM says he can disallow us from the building. In other words he can revoke our clearance to get in the building and revoke us from being able to drive just because he has it in for us. It is his power trip over drivers who are not his employees. Manage your drivers who arent your drivers by intimidation. Now I can see us getting disallowed like I said for workplace violence and having our right to drive revoked for too many accidents, but even that would have to be on the contractor right.

bbsam

Staff member
I think the TM is full of crap, but he seems like he's got everyone cowering. Someday, someone's gonna have to call him on it before he's gonna stop.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think the TM is full of crap, but he seems like he's got everyone cowering. Someday, someone's gonna have to call him on it before he's gonna stop.

At Express, nobody is allowed on the premises except employees and approved vendors. The reason? That way, FedEx can keep the Teamsters off the property. Think they're afraid of the unions? Nah...

LTFedExer

At Express, nobody is allowed on the premises except employees and approved vendors. The reason? That way, FedEx can keep the Teamsters off the property. Think they're afraid of the unions? Nah...
I suppose security and possible injuries/lawsuits has nothing to do with it? Nah...can't be that simple.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We have several customers that come down to pick up bulk and/or heavier packages and they drive their personal vehicles inside the building to do so.

So far the station's been lucky nothing has happened but one mishap would be all it takes for that to come to an abrupt end.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
At UPS we have a few accounts that will show up as late as 9PM with their own Bobtails full of packages. They pull in check in at the guard shack get a pass and back right up a door. Trust me UPS is all over the concept of CYA so I'm sure there must be some agreement in writing, but I could be wrong.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I suppose security and possible injuries/lawsuits has nothing to do with it? Nah...can't be that simple.

Actually, it's the fear of unions. Nobody can come on the property unless they are pre-approved by management. Ever see anyone but vendors or contractors performing work on the premises? No, you don't. It's all part of the overall plan to keep the Teamsters out. Yes, it can be that simple.

LTFedExer

Actually, it's the fear of unions. Nobody can come on the property unless they are pre-approved by management. Ever see anyone but vendors or contractors performing work on the premises? No, you don't. It's all part of the overall plan to keep the Teamsters out. Yes, it can be that simple.
Does EVERY policy have hidden agendas to you? What's to stop the IBT from standing in the road and handing out fliers when we pull out or return to the building? Nothing and nobody, yet they choose not to do that.
As Brown and Catus mentioned, there are customers that occasionally come onto FedEx property to dropoff/pick up packages. But, as Brown also mentioned, let something happen and it would stop real fast.

quadro

Just curious but who else would perform work on the premises besides vendors and contractors? I think you are correct about why this is done but I think it's more of a side benefit or at least an equal benefit of not allowing any and everybody on the premises.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just curious but who else would perform work on the premises besides vendors and contractors? I think you are correct about why this is done but I think it's more of a side benefit or at least an equal benefit of not allowing any and everybody on the premises.

I've been told it's by design by someone high enough to know. I'm aware that sometimes customers are allowed into the station to pickup pkgs, which is actually dumb from a liability standpoint. The FedEx logic is that if you allow any outside organization onto the premises, you have to allow everyone, which would include the IBT. An individual customer, who actually has a reason to be there, doesn't pose a "threat" because they're not going to be handing out literature or soliciting for the signature of union cards. They just want their box.

This is also why the policy against posting anything without pre-approval by management exists. By essentially banning everything except corporate communication, you can't post anything from or about the unions. At my station, anything that goes on the wall has a manager's initials on it. No exceptions.

LTFedExer

I've been told it's by design by someone high enough to know. I'm aware that sometimes customers are allowed into the station to pickup pkgs, which is actually dumb from a liability standpoint. The FedEx logic is that if you allow any outside organization onto the premises, you have to allow everyone, which would include the IBT. An individual customer, who actually has a reason to be there, doesn't pose a "threat" because they're not going to be handing out literature or soliciting for the signature of union cards. They just want their box.
It's usually the CSA's that allow the customers in. If a manager sees it, then they would most likely let them know it's against policy. I haven't seen a customer within our station in a long while.

FedExer267

We have customer's all the time in our building with their pick-up trucks loaded down. They unload their boxes and go on their way. The funny thing is they all say the same thing. My driver came by to early for the pickup and we were not ready. Thats the whole you get what you pay for system. Just alone the drivers on my belt pickup their customers up to 30 to 45 minutes early because lets face it its not like we get paid to stay out there pass 8 hours. I often wonder if they realize we all punch out 15 minutes after our last pickup and alot of us come back from a lengthy drive.