Start time shadiness?

trickpony1

At the end of shift your supervisor should be in the office verifying time cards and making adjustments for start time

These supe(s) must enjoy this unnecessary work.
They have a "high tech" computer system devoted to the purpose of timekeeping and payroll that, apparently, needs "massaging" after every shift.
This makes one wonder why it doesn't work and why they don't fix it.

"Garbage in, garbage out". I learned this in computer classes.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
They have a "high tech" computer system devoted to the purpose of timekeeping and payroll that, apparently, needs "massaging" after every shift.

they programmed the software so that it flags an early punch in before start time and the sup has to confirm so that people are not punching in when they are not supposed to. It is stupid

brownIEman

Not to be a jerk, but this is a rather ignorant statement.
Yes, there is a program that handles timecards, and it is relatively "high tech", at least compared to what it used to be.
But it is not psychic. It cannot predict what each employees start time should be, it has to be told. And if something
unplanned occurs, like several cars being pulled by Automotive and an employee is asked to start earlier than their normally
planned start time, guess what, the system cannot guess that either. There are literally thousands of variables that can
come up and a good inside operations sup will verify his peoples timecards daily.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Not to be a jerk, but this is a rather ignorant statement.
Yes, there is a program that handles timecards, and it is relatively "high tech", at least compared to what it used to be.
But it is not psychic. It cannot predict what each employees start time should be, it has to be told. And if something
unplanned occurs, like several cars being pulled by Automotive and an employee is asked to start earlier than their normally
planned start time, guess what, the system cannot guess that either. There are literally thousands of variables that can
come up and a good inside operations sup will verify his peoples timecards daily.
This is why part time employees should be able to change their start time before punching in instead of having to rely on their supervisor to remember to change it. Drivers can do it with their DIAD so why shouldn't part timers be able to so they know they will be compensated for their work?

brownIEman

This is why part time employees should be able to change their start time before punching in instead of having to rely on their supervisor to remember to change it. Drivers can do it with their DIAD so why shouldn't part timers be able to so they know they will be compensated for their work?

I see your point. Sadly, the reality is that drivers are far more professional than insiders, as a group (there are individual differences). I think company wide they did not want to have to deal with the potential abuse of that ability. It would likely create more work for the supervisors, not less.

Personally, I agree with you. My philosophy was I was always happy to provide employees with plenty of rope. If they chose to use it to rig up sails and be successful, awesome. If they chose to use it to fashion a noose for themselves, well, sad, but that is their choice.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Used to be able to, then locked it out

Soccer97

I take a picture every day and at the end of the week and keep a notepad on my phone. I've lost hundreds of dollars to them and before I knew it or could do anything. Now it's way too late.
This is the same crap I'm having to do rite now. Showing that I'm late when I went back to look at my snapshot I take at end of nite when I clock out its showing I clocked in 45 min late. Next day it's showing 30 min late. It's not that she don't know, she's doing the crap herself. I just file,I don't even ask them to change it cause she gives me dang excuses.

PT Car Washer

This is the same crap I'm having to do rite now. Showing that I'm late when I went back to look at my snapshot I take at end of nite when I clock out its showing I clocked in 45 min late. Next day it's showing 30 min late. It's not that she don't know, she's doing the crap herself. I just file,I don't even ask them to change it cause she gives me dang excuses.
Like some of the package car drivers keep saying, you should just be glad you have a job that could in the future turn into a $100k/year. Just take the crumbs offered to you and wait your turn. I am being sarcastic of course.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
I use this tool on Upsers all the time, one thing I did notice was time discrepancy’s. They would not adjust the 10 min unpaid break and put it in as paid. Talked to FT sup and he said he would call payroll to adjust the error.
Note: I would not get paid the 10 mins unpaid so there would be an issue when I got my check compared to the hours stated on the time card viewer. Would never tell them they were over paying me, even if I had to pay them back I would let them figure that out themselves.

Soccer97

I use this tool on Upsers all the time, one thing I did notice was time discrepancy’s. They would not adjust the 10 min unpaid break and put it in as paid. Talked to FT sup and he said he would call payroll to adjust the error.
I use the time card viewer daily and yes the times are so different. She has told me on different occasions that the time card viewer does not update like it should. I'm not stupid lady. I just let you think I am. Grievance! Maybe she will get tired of gettn them Grievances wrote on her just as I'm sick of her not paying me for hours worked.

Observer

In some hubs this is a constant issue. It doesn't matter if the center manager changes-they are all dreadful. File on all short paid weeks. Finally your sup will move on to another victim. But she will come back to you to make your life miserable. Stealing time is stealing time. You can also contact your state's wage and hours division -dept. of labor. They will be able to get it straightened out. This is one agency that UPS does not like to hear from. There is no reason for this pettiness. They wonder why morale is so low - this is one major reason. Supervisors working is another big problem-but that is for another thread. As everyone states - file, file, file and file some more. You've worked and you should be paid properly.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In the Central Region you can grieve pay discrepancies for up to 90 days.
Not sure if that language is parallel in other regions, but it may be worthwhile to look into?
It’s no secret that ups has a problem with sups changing start times and such... how many times have we heard about it happing on here....there should be no excuses for this.. how about drivers being shorted???

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It’s no secret that ups has a problem with sups changing start times and such... how many times have we heard about it happing on here....there should be no excuses for this.. how about drivers being shorted???

Easy problem to fix.

Keep track of your own hours.

If you are shorted.... first report it to UPS security.

(not the person at the guard shack)

Then file a grievance for the discrepancy.

There is no hiding time card edits.

-Bug-

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Take a picture of the confirmation when you punch in. Take a picture of the confirmation when you punch out. Note any unpaid time/meal. Watch upsers time card viewer. BUG is right there are most certainly records kept of all edits made in GTS. If there are no edits made by Monday in the time card viewer for the prior week then you should be good for your paycheck on Friday. Carefully check your paycheck for the correct hours. Do this every week religiously.

john chesney

I've been working preload for less than a year and I'm noticing that when I'm told start time is, say, 4am and I go to punch in, the start time on the computer is usually a half hour to forty minutes later than when I was told to start. When I punch out, the day's hours seem to be calculated using the later start time. Am I donating time to UPS like a jackass? I mean, I like the company and all, but they still have to pay to be my friend.
Bring this to supervisor attention immediately. Get it on record when you start. Do not touch one thing before your start time end of story

Soccer97

In some hubs this is a constant issue. It doesn't matter if the center manager changes-they are all dreadful. File on all short paid weeks. Finally your sup will move on to another victim. But she will come back to you to make your life miserable. Stealing time is stealing time. You can also contact your state's wage and hours division -dept. of labor. They will be able to get it straightened out. This is one agency that UPS does not like to hear from. There is no reason for this pettiness. They wonder why morale is so low - this is one major reason. Supervisors working is another big problem-but that is for another thread. As everyone states - file, file, file and file some more. You've worked and you should be paid properly.
Amen to that