Start times

Tower

I work local sort here. Every day I receive a text with my start time. Usually between 12pm and all the way to 3pm start time range from 4-6pm. My question is te hnically I can never be late correct? I mean the contract clearly states that the time have to be posted or we are given a 24hr notice. Not a text 2-3 hours before work. It's annoying and impossible to plan the rest of my day so just wondering if it's ok to just show up late and can't technically get in trouble...I can usually make it within 30 minutes of the start even with that short notice.

Thebrownblob

I work local sort here. Every day I receive a text with my start time. Usually between 12pm and all the way to 3pm start time range from 4-6pm. My question is te hnically I can never be late correct? I mean the contract clearly states that the time have to be posted or we are given a 24hr notice. Not a text 2-3 hours before work. It's annoying and impossible to plan the rest of my day so just wondering if it's ok to just show up late and can't technically get in trouble...I can usually make it within 30 minutes of the start even with that short notice.
Your start time for the week should be posted the week prior.

Tower

Our start times are fixed for the week. We have flex-o-start?
Yeah preload has their times for the whole week posted next to the time clock. Local sort at night gets a text 2-4 hours before the shift. I live an hour away and work my other job an hour away it's impossible to be on time with that little notice .

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yeah preload has their times for the whole week posted next to the time clock. Local sort at night gets a text 2-4 hours before the shift. I live an hour away and work my other job an hour away it's impossible to be on time with that little notice .
Grievance time. What does your contract say about start times?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
File a grievance for them not posting start times for the week. They can’t change the time day to day. Only week to week. That’s in the contract to prevent exactly what they are doing to you now. Once they post the time, show up on time every day. Stop replying to their texts. Don’t even look at them. If they try to tell you there is no work when you show up then say too bad, my shift is starting now. They have to find something for you to do.

File a grievance for them not posting start times for the week. They can’t change the time day to day. Only week to week. That’s in the contract to prevent exactly what they are doing to you now. Once they post the time, show up on time every day. Stop replying to their texts. Don’t even look at them. If they try to tell you there is no work when you show up then say too bad, my shift is starting now. They have to find something for you to do.
Maybe if you're FT the company can't change your start time except for Monday. PT can have a different start time everyday of the week.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
In 710 the only requirement for management is to post the next days start time by the end of the prior shift. For part time employees.

Drivers have scheduled start times for the week.

I’m not sure about national.

ManInBrown

Why would you accept work related text messages on your personal cell phone. Does UPS pay your phone bill? Doesn’t matter whether you have unlimited texting or not. It’s a PERSONAL cell phone. Block all management. Tell them you need a set start time for the following week every Thursday. Tell them you disconnected your cell because you couldn’t afford the bill anymore.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
you shouldn't be electing to come in late with their flouting of the rules, you should come in as early as you are expected to reserve that time for work so that you get paid for it. likely if you come in late, they won't really care. they'll do discipline on you, but not to fire you for it, just to make it easier in the future to fire you if they have a better reason to do so.

PTSandwichMaker

Consult your local contract on posting of start times. Mine the weeks start times must be posted on the Monday of the week prior. There’s some flexibility to change short notice which requires union to approve but it should not be changed on a whim whenever they want to, that’s for “emergencies” or peak. Read your contract sir

542thruNthru

It says it has to be posted or a 24 hour notice if it is going to change from the posted time.
Your start times should be posted the week before but I don't know where you keep getting this 24 hour notice stuff from.
Screenshot_20220603-161132_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

You should file a grievance that they are not posting the start times by the end of the shift the week before.